Rock Hall 08 Nominees

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
(AP)Here's something Madonna can really celebrate: a nomination to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Madge joins heartland rocker John Mellencamp, the puckish rappers Beastie Boys and premier dance acts Donna Summer and Chic among the nine nominees for the hall. The five leading vote-getters will be inducted in the annual ceremony March 10, 2008, at New York's Waldorf Astoria Hotel.

The other nominees are rap pioneer Afrika Bambaataa, literate songwriter Leonard Cohen, the original British Invasion combo The Dave Clark Five and surf rock instrumentalists The Ventures.

The nominations illustrate how far the Hall of Fame has stretched its definition of rock 'n' roll to incorporate a variety of musical styles.

It's certainly the case with Madonna, the Detroit-area native who burst out of New York dance clubs in the early 1980s with "Holiday" and soon became a pop culture icon. She scored 17 Top 10 hits in the 1980s alone and is due to put out an album next year, working with the likes of Timbaland and Justin Timberlake.

The Beastie Boys molded punk rock and rap into the goofy hit "(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right to Party." They became critical favorites and are still together, releasing an instrumental album this year.

Indiana's own Mellencamp can fill a barrel with rock hits like "Hurts So Good," "Pink Houses" and "R.O.C.K. in the USA." Like Chic and the Dave Clark Five, he's been nominated before without getting into the hall.

Some 500 musicians, industry professionals and journalists vote on the inductions.

How is Madonna not deserving? Pretty much any successful female rock or pop singer you can name today was influenced by Madonna. I'm so excited to see her get this nomination because she completely deserves it.

Aaahh Freak out!
Le Freak, C'est Chic
Freak out!
Aaahh Freak out!
Le Freak, C'est Chic
Freak out!
Aaahh Freak out!
Le Freak, C'est Chic
Freak out!
Aaahh Freak out!
Le Freak, C'est Chic
Freak out!

Have you heard about the new dance craze?
Listen to us, I'm sure you'll be amazed
Big fun to be had by everyone
It's up to you, It surely can be done
Young and old are doing it, I'm told
Just one try, and you too will be sold
It's called Le Freak! They're doing it night and day
Allow us, we'll show you the way

(chorus)

All that pressure got you down
Has your head spinning all around
Feel the rhythm, check the ride
Come on along and have a real good time
Like the days of stopping at the Savoy
Now we freak, oh what a joy
Just come on down, two fifty four
Find a spot out on the floor

(chorus)

Now Freak!
I said Freak!
Now Freak!

All that pressure got you down
Has your head spinning all around
Feel the rhythm, check the ride
Come on along and have a real good time
Like the days of stopping at the Savoy
Now we freak, oh what a joy
Just come on down, two fifty four
Find a spot out on the floor

I can't believe the Dave Clark Five hasn't gotten in by now. I remember my dad listening to them a lot when I was younger. They pre-date all the bigger British Invasion bands, I think. While they didn't have the lasting effect that the Beatles or the Stones had, they were pioneers.

I admit I think Leonard Cohen is overrated :reject: He's a very gifted songwriter, but I prefer his songs performed by others.

I think it's too soon for the Beastie Boys to get in, but they probably will this year because it's such a weak class aside from Madonna.

Robert Hilburn, music critic for the LA Times and rock hall board member, complains about the inductions every year. It seems like they're going out of their way to induct every single artist who made a record before 1965.

The Dave Clark Five made great music but did the group forever change music the way The Beatles, The Stones, The Beach Boys did?

I'm so excited for Madonna. :hyper: She's one of the most deserving nominees ever! To echo every one else, the rest of the nominees this year are just "meh":|

I think my personal fav. Hall of Fame year will be 2031 when we induct 50 Cent, Britney Spears, Rihanna, Hinder, and the Pussy Cat Dolls!!!111111:happy:

Last edited:
I like John Mellencamp and The Ventures. But what the Red Hot Chili Peppers have they been inducted yet? Or has it not be 25 years yet? Or how about Social Distortion?

Cute Irish Bono said:
Check this out: http://www.futurerockhall.com/future_eligibles.php

Anthrax, The Art of Noise, Pulp, and Social Distortion are eligible. RHCP are next year. Very good news. :up: :happy: :up: :happy:

Thats a weird website, how are they choosing bands? Other than the fact that yes technically they are elgible due to age, but other than that it's a useless list. I mean come on, no way Antrax or Pulp will ever make it...

Congrats to The Beastie Boys! :up:

phanan said:

Looks to be a good year to induct some overlooked artists from years gone by, like Yes, Genesis, and ELO.

You beat me to it! Not saying I'm a fan, but KISS should be considered as well. They are a cultural phenomenon in their own right. And way past 25 years. Why aren't they even nominated (just like Yes, Genesis, Rush,...) :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom