Revolver Upstairs, Chapel St, Prahran, Victoria Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No problems at all for me, though that might explain why almost nobody was posting anywhere on the site yesterday.

My absence was mostly due to me actually leaving my couch and seeing a couple of comedy shows, one of which I think would be close to your worst nightmare - an hour of Dr Who-related musical theatre. All it needed was Tony Abbott and the Collingwood football team...

The Umbilical Brothers were great; I've been wanting to see them since I saw them on Hey Hey It's Saturday about a million years ago, and they did not disappoint.

And Cobbler should prepare another 72-point font "I told you so", because I am now a Wil Anderson fan. Had a fantastic time at his show tonight, although I'd be curious to know whether he tells every audience that he's taken a lot of cold 'n' flu tablets and beer and the show could go anywhere, and then proceed to overshare various details. He did sound pretty crook.

I'm thinking of seeing that Fanfiction show from NZ that he's presenting/bankrolling next week too.

But yeah, for a few days there I was having a lot of trouble getting interference to load.

Jesus Cobbler, you breeze through Sydney once and bring down a premier! Goodbye Farrell O'Barrell.

Time for Danny to do a tour of all the current Liberal states. Never mind Coachella - your country needs you!

there are people here from the Revolutionary Communist Party

So you met Vlad then?

Finished up our comedy festival run this week with four shows - Stephen K. Amos, Justin Hamilton, Celia Pacquola, and Felicity Ward. All four were great. Possibly my favourite moment of the entire festival was at Stephen K. Amos, when he made a random aside about meat raffles, thinking they were just a peculiar northern England thing, only to discover they're very normal here too... and then someone gave him a meat raffle ticket. One of those spontaneous in-the-moment things that was just riotous.

But my favourite show was Justin Hamilton, for sure. I loved the thematic depth and how insightful his content was. He could've just settled for easy jokes about most of it (Afghanistan, abortion, etc.), but instead made incisive commentary woven into a multifaceted story. I like to laugh, but it's rare that I find comedy has enough depth to make you properly think too. Hamilton achieved both.

For a political doctrine that preaches solidarity, nobody does fragmentation quite like Marxists.

But my favourite show was Justin Hamilton, for sure. I loved the thematic depth and how insightful his content was. He could've just settled for easy jokes about most of it (Afghanistan, abortion, etc.), but instead made incisive commentary woven into a multifaceted story. I like to laugh, but it's rare that I find comedy has enough depth to make you properly think too. Hamilton achieved both.

Man, this really makes me so happy. Genuinely. For me Wil and Justin are the two greatest comedians ever. Justin is just a master of the craft, and as you say, it's very rare that you find comedians who pack a bit of a deeper punch. So fucking glad you liked him. I thought his show was amazing.

Of course, the Hun gave it 2.5/5.

I think I inadvertently "leaked" the new Manics single, it's only available on Bigpond Music and nowhere else and I posted it on my blog and now I have the entire online Manics fan community circulating through my blog.

OK guys, I know we haven't done a listening party/horrible music hour in a while, but I think we all know what time it is. It's time to rally around Jack Nicholson Party.

Name the date and time and I'm in. If possible, I want to get Reggo back for this.

Whenever there's a night with a good number of us online would be best, but I don't really care when. I'll keep one eye on this thread. It's just an unmissable opportunity.

I think you mean a Day of Footy.

(Though I'm going to go into work in the morning. Ahh the quiet of an empty campus.)

Fair point. Although for me it's a day of watching Star Trek so far, and avoiding all the parade coverage.

ETA: And tonight on the ANZAC Day special of The Project, how to win at Two-Up!

Late Sunday night request:

We're going on our trip around Australia starting in Tasmania tomorrow....any suggestions for some good albums (new, old or anything non Jack Nicholson related (I'll wait for a hard copy :wink:) ) to load onto my iphone? I'm open to just about anything at this point.

You've got to pick a Midnight Oil album or two, don't you? Earth and Sun and Moon and any of the 80s greats would be a good choice for a trip. I reckon Pulp's We Love Life would be a good pick too.

Back
Top Bottom