Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shaun of The Dead

8/10

I normally don't watch zombie movies as they're too gory and I'm not a big blood-fest fan. This, however, was different. I quite enjoyed it. Any of the really gory bits I just changed the channel and then went back a few seconds after. Great flick

RavenBlue said:
Shaun of The Dead

8/10

I normally don't watch zombie movies as they're too gory and I'm not a big blood-fest fan. This, however, was different.

:tsk: You are dead to me.

The Prestige

9/10

Just finished watching this. After reading all the great reviews here, I checked it out...and now you should, too! Incredible movie about two feuding magicians. Full of twists and turns and incredible acting :up:

^ :yes: The Prestige, definitely a good movie, Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman :drool: both excellent actors, and Tesla in the movie, good story :up:

Garden State - 9/10

Gorgeous drama/romance/comedy/quirky indie frolic. Such a momumental achievement for such a young directoral debut. I guess it just really struck a chord for several reasons. The whole love story/depressed moving on thing felt a little too close to home. But being from Jersey, all the characters seemed SO DAMN FAMILIAR. It was really scary. Natalie Portman's character Sam (How could you not fall in love with her?) reminded me tremendously of an old friend I haven't seen since junior high. Just...man, Braff really injected the essence of glorious New Jersey into this film.

The soundtrack was also fantastic. Really, Braff just proved himself an incredibly talented film-maker and actor here. I'm so impressed right now. The film wasn't perfect, but I was just so wonderously immersed in this movie. In fact, I'm left a little bit shaken, as it's a very hopeful and inspiration film in some respect but it also reminded me how depressed I am. :lol: Whoops. Whatever.

All that matters is this movie's good. The end. :grumpy:

I tried out that Netflix "Watch Now" feature the other night since I was waiting for my next movies to be shipped. It worked pretty well for me after a 15-minute delay, and I'll keep using it. The selection isn't great yet, but there are still quite a few movies I wouldn't mind watching.

I watched the documentary Word Wars, about four competitive Scrabble players. It's crazy to see what these guys go through to try to be the best player in the world. They memorize dictionaries and keep track of tiles played so they can calculate probabilities. It's definitely not the Scrabble I used to play with my grandma. If you liked Spellbound or Wordplay, you'll enjoy this. 6/10

Last night I watched Basquiat, about the artist Jean-Michel Basquiat. I knew nothing about his life, so this was a good introduction. The movie was slow in places, and I felt like it could've focused more on his actual art. David Bowie was a spot-on Andy Warhol. 6.5/10

I thought garden state was interesting. The soundtrack is awesome. This is one move that there is so much foul language it starts to grate on me. That was my only complaint.

Lancemc said:
Garden State - 9/10

Gorgeous drama/romance/comedy/quirky indie frolic. Such a momumental achievement for such a young directoral debut. I guess it just really struck a chord for several reasons. The whole love story/depressed moving on thing felt a little too close to home. But being from Jersey, all the characters seemed SO DAMN FAMILIAR. It was really scary. Natalie Portman's character Sam (How could you not fall in love with her?) reminded me tremendously of an old friend I haven't seen since junior high. Just...man, Braff really injected the essence of glorious New Jersey into this film.

The soundtrack was also fantastic. Really, Braff just proved himself an incredibly talented film-maker and actor here. I'm so impressed right now. The film wasn't perfect, but I was just so wonderously immersed in this movie. In fact, I'm left a little bit shaken, as it's a very hopeful and inspiration film in some respect but it also reminded me how depressed I am. :lol: Whoops. Whatever.

Peter Sarsgaard is the best. Although I didn't like the 10 second doggie sex shot at all. Good movie though :up:

The Queen - 8.5/10

Excellent film. It's easy to see why Mirren won the Oscar. In a situation where her actions were deplorable and it would be easy to view her as a villain, instead the filmmakers were able to convey that she was just incredibly out of touch and bound in tradition, making her almost worthy of sympathy.

U2MaNaIcWeIdO said:
UltraViolet

Great if you want mindless action driven entertainment....not so good if you want something a little more plot driven and with less spastic cuts (Man....the editing is bad! This was the main thing that confused me about this movie!)

Did you watch this on Encore tonight??? I put it on for the first 10 minutes expecting a horrendously bad "good because it sucks" sort of movie. It certainly seemed to be living up to that expectation. But I decided to watch Pirates 2: Dead Man's Chest for the first time.

I'd give it a 6/10. Just about as average as I thought it would be. Great CGI though. And the cliffhanger is almost enough to make me want to go see At World's End....but that's still not gonna happen. :D

Lancemc said:

Did you watch this on Encore tonight??? I put it on for the first 10 minutes expecting a horrendously bad "good because it sucks" sort of movie. It certainly seemed to be living up to that expectation. But I decided to watch Pirates 2: Dead Man's Chest for the first time.

No.....I have Comcast....so I get Comcast on Demand. I watched the movie on the Starz On Demand section (since Comcast seems to bill me for Starz and Encore).

Lancemc said:
Garden State - 9/10

I would agree with much of what you said here, although I was tremendously disappointed by the ending. It committed the sin that Lost in Translation brilliantly avoided: succumbing to cliche where a more poignant statement might have been made. And Braff could never get a woman of Natalie's caliber. :wink:

I really enjoyed Garden State, even if I can barely stand to look at Zach Braff anymore. :yuck:

Yesterday I watched Trust the Man, with David Duchovny, Julianne Moore and Maggie Gyllenhaal. It's about couples in New York dealing with their issues (Duchovney is a sex addict married to Moore, Gyllenhaal's partner is crass and lazy and won't commit). It was a little silly, but fairly entertaining.

I'll watch Duchovny in anything out of curiosity. It's a leftover from my X-Files worshipping days. :reject:

I'll give it 6/10.

I hated Garden State. Horrible, boring, quasi-pretentious movie. And I expected to like it too.

The Italian
9/10. It's actually a Russian movie about a young boy in an orphanage. An Italian couple begins the adoption process for him, but he then becomes concerned about what will happen if his mother comes looking for him someday and runs away to find her. Really great movie, very sad, but the kids in it do such a fantastic job.

Pirates of the Caribbean 3

5.5/10. I didn't hate it as much as I expected to based on reviews and word-of-mouth. It was way too long, they could have easily shaved off 20 minutes. Some parts were ridiculous - mainly the whole proposal/wedding idiocy. Too many intersecting storylines, the Davy Jones resolution was unsatisfying. Plus, I hate Orlando Bloom.

I watched Still Crazy tonight. It's about a 70s band called Strange Fruit that decides to reunite and try to mount a comeback 20 years later. Leading an ensemble cast, Billy Connolly is great as somewhat jaded roadie Huey.

I liked it a lot more than This Is Spinal Tap, because it was more believable. It was still hilarious in places, but the funny parts were balanced with the characters' fears and insecurities. It's slow to start, but it gets better as it goes.

8/10

Blood Diamond - 9/10.

I hadn't read one bad review about this movie, so my hopes were high and it didn't disappoint. :up: :up:

Little Miss Sunshine

8/10

I saw this movie for the first time last night. I really liked it and it was funny. The family was a little nuts. I think they could have made Greg Kinnear's character a little more sympathetic to his kids.

The Usual Suspects - 7/10

I was really hyped about this film, having heard amazing things about it on here, IMDB and other boards.

But really, this is a fairly average crime film. The supposed mind-blowing twist I seriously had figured out in the first 17 minutes of the film (I checked the clock). This was really one of the most predictable films I've ever seen, every step of the way.

It's pretty unexceptional except for its plot, which is still strong despite the predictable twists. And this film is #19 on IMDB's top 250??? Give me a break. If I ever needed proof that that list was completely bogus, here it is.

The Usual Suspects isn't even in the same league as a film like Momento.

deep said:

Did you see Momento on the big screen?

Friad not. Saw it on DVD a couple years ago. It seriously knocked my socks off. One of the most unique and mind-blowing thrillers I've ever seen.

I saw them both on the big screen :shrug:
and enjoyed them both
quite a bit

next time

check rotten tomatoes, not imdb

they have it 89% and 94%

your way

Last edited:
I would have enjoyed The Usual Suspects a lot more had I not figured it out so quickly. And I usually don't figure movies out like that. It usually takes me until the director wants the audience to catch on to things. But for some reason I just knew what was going on 17 minutes into the film and it sort of ruined it for me when things kept happening exactly as I predicted.

Did you know anything about the movie before watching it? Or was it just that obvious? I just saw it again recently

I saw it the week end it opened

and had no idea there was a big twist

so I was not looking for it

you probably had too much information or expectations before hand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom