Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) II - Page 36 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2007, 02:25 AM   #526
The Male

Local Time: 10:33 AM
"Trainspotting"

Review: It's no secret to anyone on this forum that I love British culture. The music, the architecture, the slang, the weather...not so much the food...but it's my dream to see it and be a part of it. Something different. It's films like this that make me think such a dream is a poor idea and, at the same time, sucks me in further.

First off, this is not a casual, relaxed, family film. It's intense, occasionally dark, and certainly morally questionable. Even the characters themselves recognize this. They're all drug addicts, and it shows up in their daily lives. They know better, but they think it gives their lives meaning. Perhaps it does, or perhaps "meaning" means nothing. Why even look for meaning anyway, when you have heroin? As one Mark Renton would say.

To sum up the pros and cons, I will just say that the acting, soundtrack, script, pacing and direction were all superb. This is just a good film. When it comes to cons, you just can't ignore the fact that, while all of this debauchery is presented in a rather attractive package, it's still debauchery, and the people partaking of it are scum. This basically makes the film nothing more than a beautiful, but voyeuristic period piece, because it's quite difficult to relate to the movie (unless you partake of that particular lifestyle) and, therefore, get absorbed in it. At least that's how it was for me. Also, I can't help but think that a few of the gross-out scenes early on were unnecessary and indulgent. I am docking the rating as a result.

However, in spite of this, I am Danny Boyle and Ewan McGregor fans now. Boyle's direction is incredible, and the way McGregor's narration collides with what's going on on-screen is fascinating.

Yeah, I liked this film quite a bit, but I feel like I need a long, hot shower now.

8.5/10

Old 08-21-2007, 09:58 AM   #527
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:33 PM
LemonMelon, have you seen Lock Stock yet?

Old 08-21-2007, 11:24 AM   #528
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by elevated_u2_fan
as in the And Two Smoking Barrels variety?

I fucking looooove that movie.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:39 AM   #529
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc

as in the And Two Smoking Barrels variety?

I fucking looooove that movie.
It is indeed awesome, I'm not sure if he's seen it yet but it is a definite must if you dig modern British films.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:14 PM   #530
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by elevated_u2_fan
About 10 minutes of it, but not all the way through. They show it on TV sometimes, so I'll tape it if it comes on.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:21 PM   #531
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

About 10 minutes of it, but not all the way through. They show it on TV sometimes, so I'll tape it if it comes on.
Do it, it's such a good movie, a very clever, well thought out story which wraps up very satisfyingly at the end. Much better than Snatch IMO.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:52 PM   #532
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:33 PM
Is Snatch the one where Brad Pitt has that insane accent and no one understands what he's saying ?
Old 08-21-2007, 02:12 PM   #533
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
Is Snatch the one where Brad Pitt has that insane accent and no one understands what he's saying ?
you are correct, he's a "Piker" if I remember correctly...
Old 08-21-2007, 04:38 PM   #534
Refugee

Local Time: 06:33 PM
"Pikey" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikey

For me it goes Layer Cake > Snatch > Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Wasn't a big fan of Lock Stock but really enjoyed the other two.

For other modern Brit flicks check out Neil Marshall (Dog Soldiers, The Descent) and Shane Meadows (This Is England, Dead Man's Shoes, A Room for Romeo Brass). Good stuff
Old 08-22-2007, 02:50 AM   #535
The Male

I've heard about This Is England. It sounds like a good watch.

Now.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:10 PM   #536
ONE
love, blood, life

I've seen two movies so far this week. "Becoming Jane" is really beautiful and definitely has funny moments but after seeing so many films set in that era (mainly Jane Austen adaptations) the inaccuracies really got to me. Anne Hathaway is a great actress but she was walking like a 21st century girl hustling to catch a cab, not a 19th century girl walking with her family to church. Just little things like that that kept me from being totally bowled over by the movie. If you like Jane Austen books and period romances, though, this is a nice way to spend a few hours regardless.

Last night I watched "Enron: The Smartest Men in the Room." Everyone must see this movie because every infuriating thing that happened with and because of this company could have been prevented. The documentary finally helped me to understand what Enron did, how it made its money (or at least how it claimed to). Great film.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:28 PM   #537
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by oktobergirl

I've seen "Once" twice already. It is a totally awesome indie movie starring Glen Hansard (the singer for The Frames). It's one of the most popular movies in Los Angeles this summer. I think it's still playing at the Arclight in Hollywood and in Manhattan Beach.
I'm going to see it tomorrow night. I can't wait!
Old 08-22-2007, 10:48 PM   #538
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dsmith2904

Last night I watched "Enron: The Smartest Men in the Room." Everyone must see this movie because every infuriating thing that happened with and because of this company could have been prevented. The documentary finally helped me to understand what Enron did, how it made its money (or at least how it claimed to). Great film.
This is an excellent documentary, I've seen it twice and it was so well-done.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:12 AM   #539
Refugee

Local Time: 06:33 PM
Kes
About time I got round to watching this and it was worth the wait. Brilliant and heartbreaking story of a young boy whose only friend is a wild kestrel he adopts and trains, it's also fascinating to watch such an unflinching depiction of working class life up north just 40 years ago. This is such an important film and I'm glad I finally managed to watch it, but be warned that the accents are a wee bit on the thick side.

Oldboy
A rewatch this, as I wanted to watch the 'Vengeance' trilogy in order before viewing Lady Vengeance. I much preferred this to the first time (and Sympathy for Mr Vengeance), even though I didn't exactly dislike it back then. A lot seems to be have been made of the violence level and while it is pretty violent it's more stylistic than outright graphic. The corridor scene about halfway is worthy of all the praise it gets though.

A Cock and Bull Story
A film about the filming of the supposedly unfilmable The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman. Essentially it documents the (fictional) filming of the adaptation whilst splicing in the actual footage they shoot. Think along the lines of 8 1/2 and Adaptation and you're about there. Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon are a brilliant double act with Coogan sending up his arrogant persona beautifully as in his Coffee and Cigarettes segment while Brydon does a series of spot on impersonations of him. I'd read that this was a total Marmite film, but I loved it.

The Day of the Jackal
Tense 70s thriller about the efforts of a hired assassin to kill Charles de Gaulle and the police investigation to identify and stop him. As good as Edward Fox was as The Jackal, I thought Michael Lonsdale as the police detectice charged with stopping him gave the better performance. Bloody good stuff, even if the French accents sounded distinctly British at times...
Old 08-26-2007, 03:25 PM   #540
The Male

"Almost Famous"

Review:

Well, I've finally seen it. Yeah, I saw it on a lousy internet stream where the lip-synching was terrible until the last half hour, but it was worth it.

First thing's first; I was a bit disappointed by this film at times. It was a tad predictable and saccharine, and felt like a Behind The Music special more often than it should have. Still, for every moment where it felt as if sucrose was oozing out of the screen, there was a striking scene that I related to 100%. And then it hit me:

I am William Miller. I am a naive, music-obsessed fish-out-of-water. It's why I'm here. Music is my drug, (and, hopefully, they'll be keeping it legal for a while longer ) And it's that relatability that kept me glued to the screen until the very end. That, and the soundtrack (one of the best I've ever heard), atmosphere, and warmth of it. It really is a wonderful film.

So, yeah, AF might feel like a Behind The Music special, but it's far more endearing and enjoyable than any I've ever seen. Bonus points for using no less than five Zeppelin tracks during the course of the movie.

9/10