Random Music Talk XXXI: Rapture? I Hardly Met Her

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well for those who are interested in seeing a setlist breakdown by album (minus song title Spoilers):

BallBoy: 1 (usually)
Cocktober: 1 (alternating)
Whore: 1 or 2
The Unforgettable Liar: 1
The Joshua Cock: 2 or 3
Shuttle & Bum: 1 (usually)
Achtung Birdie: 4 or 5
Cockropa: 1
Cockengers: 1
ATYCLC: 3 or 4
HTMAAS: 2
No Net: 4

The only album not being represented is Poppycock, though I'd argue that the Cock Crazy remix represents that period musically, especially with the snippets we've been seeing, and also on alternate nights the encore features a song that is technically from those sessions.

Also missing are any of the new songs they played in Europe, but to be honest I'm not bemoaning their absence considering their quality. There really isn't ANYTHING on this setlist that I'd prefer to see dropped in favor of Glastonbirdie, Every Broken Serve, MercyRule, or TournStar. Bird That Falls From The Sky is another story, but it was only played once anyway.

And it should be noted that while there should be more No Net songs, I'm pretty sure that four "current" songs are more than you'd hear during a Rolling Stones show, and they're songs that legitimately can stand alongside the classics.
jesus christ, their last show on setlist.fm shows only one song played from a bigger bang.

jesus christ, their last show on setlist.fm shows only one song played from a bigger bang.

Yeah, that's par for the course. The last new album they may have legitimately featured on tour would probably be Steel Wheels, maybe Voodoo Lounge, but I have nothing to back that up.

Ok, checked a couple Wembley shows from Voodoo Lounge, looks like they were playing about 4 new songs a night. But unlike Shuttlecock, not seeing many songs from previous recent albums.

And of course we know Shuttlecock began this whole tour playing 7 tracks from No Net. No way the Stones were even doing that on Steel Wheels.

Excuse me if this has been discussed....

I have tried avoiding spoilers, but, in a half-hearted way....so I know about Zooropa, Stay, etc....and know about Even Better Than The Real Thing serving as an opener lately.....but I had not watched any clips of EBTTRT until today. So, not sure what you guys thing, but, for me, that's a pretty cool version of the song. Sounds just a little more bad-ass, I guess, at least relatively speaking. Anyway, I like it and it reminds me of why U2 are still near and dear to me. For all the questionable big picture decisions they make, they still know how to take (some of) their songs and make them even better in concert. As for the set list itself, yeah, at this point, I have no complaints. If they played what they played last nigh down in Anaheim, I'll walk away very happy.

I agree with that, NSW. Especially (and obviously, since I just read the spoilered text) being half-hearted about avoiding spoilers. I've gotten a little lazy, but only because I'm so stinking excited to see them again that I don't really care if I know the setlist at this point.

I'll keep on giving the spoiler-free thing at least a little effort for the next two weeks, so I don't just start devouring every detail I see.

And joyfulgirl told me she thought she'd be up for doing the GA line with me and some of the CA crew that are coming up. So that's yet another thing to be excited about. Yay. :)

After a horrible 2010, the setlist has been slowly rebounding. If I get that in Philly I too would be pleased.

As for EBTTRT, I like the differences. It's that part at the end of the chorus riff where he hits the wah pedal twice that gives it a nice extra kick. Changing up parts like that give it some life. So, it's been moving in the opposite direction of Mysterious Ways.

I'm with you folks concerning the song in question. I admire the willingness to experiment with a classic like that.

After a horrible 2010, the setlist has been slowly rebounding. If I get that in Philly I too would be pleased.

As for EBTTRT, I like the differences. It's that part at the end of the chorus riff where he hits the wah pedal twice that gives it a nice extra kick. Changing up parts like that give it some life. So, it's been moving in the opposite direction of Mysterious Ways.

I cannot wait until the Philly show, so, you know, you'll have actually seen the band LIVE.

Agreed with your spoiler comments, though.

I too cannot wait.

I'm going to try and get tickets to see Okkervil River in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure how feasible that is but we'll see.

As I think I've said before, this new opener has always been my least favorite song on its album (keep in mind I love every song on there anyway), but this new version is a huge improvement.

I think it needed this overhaul to even work as an opener, esp. on the verses, more a rocker now than a shuffler.

I agree, the current setlist is pretty good. I wouldn't be surprised if we get in SLC, song for song what they got in Denver. Although I am hoping for:

Ultraviolet instead of HMTMKMKM

I also see they are now performing a different version of this:

And sorry again NSW for basically giving away all of the newly played songs unspoilered last week.

I agree, the current setlist is pretty good. I wouldn't be surprised if we get in SLC, song for song what they got in Denver. Although I am hoping for:

Ultraviolet instead of HMTMKMKM

I also see they are now performing a different version of this:

And sorry again NSW for basically giving away all of the newly played songs unspoilered last week.

I really appreciate that, but, no worries...like I said, if I were dead serious about avoiding spoilers, I'd do like I did before Europe and just avoid the site. Anyone posting regularly on a U2 fan board can't seriously expect to completely avoid spoilers.

Someone made an idiotic Star Wars/Shuttlecock analogy in the other place and I thought I'd run with it.

Han Solo = Boner
Luke = The Hedge
Leia = Harry Muffin
Chewie = Adam Claycourt
Yoda = Ryan Beano
Obi-Wan = Fanny Patois
Palpatine = Paul McCockne$$
Lando = cock.i.am

any other suggestions?

Bono is part of a group of people (including Michelle Obama, Stevie Wonder, etc.) honoring Beyonce at the Billboard Music Awards tonight.

U2 is also nominated for "Top Touring Artist" (up against Bon Jovi, Michael Buble, Gaga, and Roger Waters) and "Top Duo or Group" (up against Black Eyed Peas, Bon Jovi, Lady Antebellum, and Linkin Park). The show is on ABC tonight, and I'd probably watch if the Bulls weren't playing.

I hope they win all of those meaningless awards!

Hello from the ATL.

Beijing's airport seems a hell of a lot busier than the airport I see at least five days a week. I would bet it will bypass ATL soon.

I missed Martha's LAX TSA comments. Also glad to see that Joyful will be in Seattle GA.

Planning on seeing Okkervil River here next Tuesday.

For GAF - here's hoping one of our two baseball teams can turn it around.

GAF, what do you think of the new Beyonce song? I didn't outright hate it, but it's .... weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom