Random Music Talk XXII: GAF, Hitman of Shitty Opening Acts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always found it strange that people - not you, but music fans in general - tend to divide their career into a Gabriel / Collins dichotomy. The transition from the prog emphasis to the pop standards was a gradual one. The first post-Gabriel album still sounds a hell of a lot like the Gabriel era. It even sounds as though Collins is trying to mimic Gabriel in his vocal delivery. And the prog elements are still present as late as Duke. I think that the full-fledged Adult Contemporary style that most associate with them is not present until Invisible Touch, which was released over ten years after Gabriel's departure.

You are right that the transition was not immediate in part because Steve Hackett was there for another album after Gabriel left. One could argue that Tony Banks had more music effect on Genesis than Collins did and was actually more responsible for their direction. I think though the precieved divide is just as much about the presentation and look as much as the music. They quickly moved away from long narratives, Gabriel in costumes and on-stage personas. I think when music fans see Rael, the Slipperman, the old man from The Musical Box and so on compared to the Land of Confusion, I Can't Dance and the In Too Deep videos; it seems like two completely different bands.

Personally, I like a lot of the Phil Collins led Genesis material but it is not even close to the Gabriel era stuff. :up:

why does Phil Collins cop so much shit? i've always wondered. the only song of his i can name is In the Air Tonight and i like that song.

even in U2 at the End of the World he cops shit from U2, the barman, the entire bar...

why does Phil Collins cop so much shit? i've always wondered. the only song of his i can name is In the Air Tonight and i like that song.

even in U2 at the End of the World he cops shit from U2, the barman, the entire bar...

I think that he was just overexposed in the 80s and early 90s. Personally, I rather like him. Anyone who has played with Led Zeppelin must have redeeming qualities as a musician.

now the question is, is every nigga with dreads for the cause?
is every nigga with golds for the fall?
no, so don't get caught in appearance
it's Outkast, Aquemini, another black experience

i have a chance to make the new thread here but i've got nothing witty and iyup already made a non-witty random thread.

Yeah, Cobbler, you just gave yourself the mandate. I trust that you can come up with something stronger than mine. Comedy is not my strong suit.

A new thread was posted when I made this post, so I moved it over before the lock.

Friggin Cobbler. Even though he had nothing to do with it, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom