Random Music Talk XLVI: No, studio Bad(minton) is NOT better than the live version.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I only feel alive when the VU is flashing and bombs going off in my head, guyz.

re Smile

It is ALL about Surf's Up. God, I love that song so much.

Also, Our Prayer. Bliss.

Haven't listened to new release yet, but soon.

Holy shit, does anybody remember that band The Donnas? All-girl guitar band that had a brief run of mainstream press, hype, a hit song or two, in the early part of last decade?

Man. I was never really that into them at all, but I've just found out that their debut album, from 1997, is a COMPLETE (and completely awesome) Ramones ripoff. Like, just about the best Ramones ripoff songs you'll ever hear. It's a lot of fun. Turns out they're one of the most manufactured bands ever, and it's totally cool. Apparently some dude had a bunch of Ramones-esque tunes but with lyrics from a girl's point of view, so he went out and found a group of talented girls and called them The Donnas and ghostwrote their entire debut album and controlled their image and everything. Early the Donnas are like the Girls Aloud of punk.

Yeah. A couple of 'em are pretty good looking.

I guess you'd have to love the Ramones in the first place to really dig this debut Donnas album. And, through my years on this board, it doesn't seem like there are very many Ramones lovers around here. So, there you go. The first handful of Ramones albums are some of my favorite albums ever.

Also, after I go grocery shopping, I'm going to pick up my electric guitar and start a band.

So, uh, yeah, remember that "I can't decide if I should go to grad school, zomg how will I afford it" conundrum from about a month ago?

I'm enrolling in a Sports Media masters program in the spring. Talked to everyone and their brother, including the dean of Graduate Programs, a few professors in the department, a friend in financial aid, and a financial advisor. Everything looks solid and they really want me in the program, so there's that. Just have to get two letters of rec. from two of my collegiate professors, which shouldn't be a problem, and get all of my information in before Thanksgiving and I'm golden. Sooooooo excited!

I remember The Donnas. I saw them open up for The Strokes in 2001 and I hadn't thought of them since then....and yes a couple of them were hot. It looks like they've put out 8 studio albums now. Huh.

2012 album announcements so far today: Sharon Van Etten, Sigur Rós, Tennis, Shearwater.

#dopeness

Thanks guys! I'm all antsy hitting refresh on my e-mail now since one of my professors already wrote me back. Just waiting for the other. Got the FAFSA all in line. :panic:. Annnywayss!!

I'm listening to ATYCLB because it makes me pretty happy and nostalgic :tongue:. And also, I love this damn album, I really do.

Damn, Love Reign O'er Me is one of the best finishes to an album ever. There's a thousand great songs on Quadrophenia, but by the time Jimmy's sober and his whole world comes crashing down... Love Reign O'er Me just manages to trump everything before it.

bono_212 said:
I'm listening to ATYCLB because it makes me pretty happy and nostalgic :tongue:. And also, I love this damn album, I really do.

Stuck is seriously a 10/10 song for me. Pop perfection.

You know, as much as I love Paul Simon, I've never been able to get into Graceland. I think I like it now though. The production is still corny and the whole album is (musically) cloying and happy, but God there are some brilliant lyrics in there. And the guitar on the title track is sick.

Damn, Love Reign O'er Me is one of the best finishes to an album ever. There's a thousand great songs on Quadrophenia, but by the time Jimmy's sober and his whole world comes crashing down... Love Reign O'er Me just manages to trump everything before it.

Yeah, it's just about the epitome of a grand finale. And just a tremendous song in general.

Wow, we agree on an unpopular opinion. This is a banner day.

I love Stuck as well - I have since the first time I heard it. The abject loathing with which some discuss it is among the foremost Interference mysteries to me.

Graceland :hyper:

I seriously have loved "You Can Call Me Al" all of my life. So glad the rest of the album was almost as great. "Crazy Love, Vol. II" is another favorite of mine.

I love Stuck as well - I have since the first time I heard it. The abject loathing with which some discuss it is among the foremost Interference mysteries to me.

I don't know how much I legitimately love it and how much is residual from it being an integral part of my falling in love with the band, but I think I'm being unbiased in how much I love the song.

I've always liked Stuck In A Moment, too.

Classic chord progression, strong and simple vocal melody, I like a lot of the lyrics, Edge gets to take the spotlight for a minute, etc.

I can understand some of the complaints about the song's production, but it's a good choon.

Acoustic Stuck is great, studio Stuck is horrible.

I'm just that irritated by the production.

No, definitely don't care too much for that. It's OK, but not my thing. I just don't like acoustic U2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom