Random Music Talk XLVI: No, studio Bad(minton) is NOT better than the live version.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:up:

Hey, iYup, have you heard of these guys? I'm assuming Scumbo has, they're listed as post-rock but kind of aren't. Anyway, this seems like your sort of thing. I love it:

Bark Psychosis - Big Shot (1994) MFEAE - YouTube

yeah, this album was pretty damn good, thanks for the heads up...well...the 17 year late heads up, but, you get what I mean.

Time to hear "Boy Falls From the Sky" hooray!

Good news about Franz Ferdinand.

Lucid dreaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaams uh huh yeah

...Does Bono always have someone in his ear counting off the songs for him like that, or was that only because it's a new song?

GirlsAloudFan said:
Also, a night of me getting stupid drunk on beer and awkwardly flirting with girls will be streaming live in a couple of hours over on the streets of Chicago.

In what neighborhood do you tend to go drinking? I'm obviously not going to stalk you or anything; I'm just curious because there are so many great party spots in the city.

...Does Bono always have someone in his ear counting off the songs for him like that, or was that only because it's a new song?

You'd think that by now he wouldn't need to be counted in to Beautiful Day, but listen to an IEM bootleg of a full show and the counting gets really annoying.

It was annoying on that track. I'm not sure how he can concentrate with that. IOW, I feel like it would be more of a hindrance than a help, but I guess he's just THAT forgetful?

Am totally listening to ATYCLB right now >_>

Oh, never mind, Travis has come to collect me. I made it all the way through "Stuck in a Moment" :hyper:

Always has the counting in his ear, always has the words on a teleprompter. Always. He lacks the most basic qualifications for being a lead singer, if you think about it.

I'm sorry I couldn't save her from that at least.

You're a terrible husband.

Always has the counting in his ear, always has the words on a teleprompter. Always. He lacks the most basic qualifications for being a lead singer, if you think about it.

It's funny since his best live performances almost all pre-date having the count-ins and teleprompters for everything. If he thinks this stuff makes his performance better, he's very, very wrong.

lolololololo Bono's shit and errthing and he never does anything right lolololololo

Am I doing this right? :wink:

In what neighborhood do you tend to go drinking? I'm obviously not going to stalk you or anything; I'm just curious because there are so many great party spots in the city.

You can stalk me all you want. We'll have a great time.

Tonight I'm heading over to a friend's apartment on Chicago Ave. It's right near where Cabrini Green used to be. It's a lot nicer (for lack of a better descriptor) than it used to be, clearly. I don't know, we'll probably hit up one of the bars on Chicago Ave. Or just off of it.

Or I might just wander the streets aimlessly smoking cigarettes and getting into random stupid conversations.

GirlsAloudFan said:
You can stalk me all you want. We'll have a great time.

Tonight I'm heading over to a friend's apartment on Chicago Ave. It's right near where Cabrini Green used to be. It's a lot nicer (for lack of a better descriptor) than it used to be, clearly. I don't know, we'll probably hit up one of the bars on Chicago Ave. Or just off of it.

Or I might just wander the streets aimlessly smoking cigarettes and getting into random stupid conversations.

Near Ukranian Village? That's an awesome area. Tons of character over there.

I want to say there's been the counting on any IEM I've heard, whether it's Bono's or Edge's.

I'm not about to dig out one of the few Edge ones I have to say for sure or not, though.

It doesn't bother me that they need them. The teleprompter doesn't bother me either, to be honest. If that's what they feel they need now to give us a solid show (mostly) free of total fuck-ups, fine.

It doesn't bother me that they need them. The teleprompter doesn't bother me either, to be honest. If that's what they feel they need now to give us a solid show (mostly) free of total fuck-ups, fine.

It's just that, to me, some of their best live moments have come from improvising around a mistake, or at least doing something off the cuff. Technology like this seems a bit of a constraint.

Y'know what album I really like? A LOT?

Crocodiles' Sleep Forever.

Mirrors is a fucking great song.

I hope I can manage to move to Chicago next next time my lease is up, aka, March of 2013.

PhilsFan said:

The teleprompter is fine, but wow that in ear thing is weird.

Vlad n U 2 said:
lolololololo Bono's shit and errthing and he never does anything right lolololololo

Am I doing this right? :wink:

I'm Vlad and I think you guys are real jerks to Boon stopppp ittttt!

:p

One Blue Moon with my Trader Joe's pizza, and it's every man for himself. :drunk:

I'm going to see the opera movies of the Met's Siegfried tomorrow. It starts at 9 am and ends at 3 pm and I'm fucking psyched for it. I love Wagner.

It doesn't bother me either, I just appreciate the humor of a lead singer basically not knowing anything about his own songs.

I'd like to give a shout-out to Peef and GAF for defending MercyRule in my absence. We'll have no more of that hater talk.

You know what else grinds my gears? These people going on about how the Baby version of Who's Gonna Serve Your Wild Shuttles is better than the album version. I know, I mentioned this already. But it's REALLY pissing me off. I know it's near the bottom of the album for a lot of people, but making it poppier is not an improvement. Changing the beat from an odd time signature (at least to these ears ) to a standard 4/4 (I think) is not an improvement; it's the off-kilterness that helps to it to retain the atmosphere they clearly tried so hard to give to the recording.

And the middle section? Come on. Not even close.

People actually prefer that version? U2 actually had a fucking clue back then. When they changed shit up, it got better. The album versions are better than the baby versions. The live versions are better than both. The more they worked on it, the more they figured out. They were at the top of their game.

lazarus said:
Dude, there are people who prefer the Temple Bar version.

Animals.

On this we can agree, though I may be taking it further since I HATE the Temple Bar version.

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses is one of my favorite songs fwiw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom