Random Music Talk LXVII: All the First-World Problems You Can Handle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iron yuppie

ONE love, blood, life
Inspired by all the comments about slow 3G networks, iPhone 5 availability, etc. :wink:

Enjoy.

I've thought about making a What First World Problem Are You Facing Right Now thread in OOC but haven't gotten around to it.

It was inspired by a piece of pumpkin pie I bought the other day that, tragically, had sprinkles on top of it. I have no idea what happened there.

Since the thread locked before I'd responded (and luckily the "back" button worked to get what I'd typed:

I havent read the artucle yet,but j can see no reason for people to be bitcing about amanda palmers kickstarter. You all thougt Louis CK was a genius for doing pretty much the same thing.

I think that's a bit different, and would totally be supporting Palmer if she was doing the same thing. He bypassed the distribution method, but still handled the production himself (or behind the scenes with a loan). Palmer asked people to pay (what seems like an exorbitant amount of money) to fund her making an album, and is now asking people to be her band for free when she tours.

In the grand scheme of things, it honestly don't really bug me that much. Like I said before, I actually liked The Dresden Dolls quite a bit. I think I've just had weird experiences personally with kickstarter related things, and probably have more of a negative perception of the whole thing than I should. Like HG wrote, I'm sure there are a lot of good uses of that sort of model as well. I've unfortunately seen a handful of sketchy ones.

LeMeL said:
I like Maladroit a lot too. It's with Make Believe that the band went to shit.

Same here. I'm sure a lot of my memories surrounding the Green album and tour (my first time seeing them live, when I'd assumed for years they were broken up and I never see them) definitely weigh in on how much I still like it.

Fitz said:
I sent that text to my friend, not the other way around.

I need to learn how to read.

Same here. I'm sure a lot of my memories surrounding the Green album and tour (my first time seeing them live, when I'd assumed for years they were broken up and I never see them) definitely weigh in on how much I still like it.

I think it's badass that they let fans pick out the Maladroit tracklisting. Part of me wishes U2 would let us do that, but then I realize that U2 has far too many fans to trust they'll come up with something decent.

I need to learn how to read.

I'll buy you a leapfrog for Christmas.

OK, very serious man-only question here...

Why do some guys flush the urinal before they start peeing? I really don't see the utility in that. Splashback prevention maybe?

I've always wondered why some dudes seem to think it's necessary to spit in the urinal before they can start the process.

The absolute worst is people who want to have a conversation at the urinal. Not the ideal place for small talk.

Why do some guys flush the urinal before they start peeing? I really don't see the utility in that. Splashback prevention maybe?

Yes. If there's any yellow in it before I get up to it, I will flush that shit immediately! If it's clear, then I don't.

And the spit thing has always puzzled and grossed me out. It's like, really? Do we become cavemen when we walk up to a urinal? Do we abandon all social graces? (I'm not a fan of spitting in general, but especially at the urinal. Gross.)

There's no utility to it per se. It's just fucking horrible in there from time to time and I wouldn't want to spend any length of time near that shit. So get it away and start fresh.

The water-free urinals we have at school are basically a hole in the ground and make the restrooms smell abominable. I definitely use the water if I have it.

So is the belief that the residual urine would somehow climb upstream and invade your bladder? Seems like a physical impossibility to me.

No. You were correct with your initial "splashback" theory. I'm not worried someone else's urine is going to get up my urethra. I just don't want someone else's urine ANYWHERE near my skin! Not even a DROP that may happen to splash on me.

It was inspired by a piece of pumpkin pie I bought the other day that, tragically, had sprinkles on top of it. I have no idea what happened there.

That is indeed a curious, tragic occurrence.

I'm a lifelong Dolphins fan. I win :(

:therethere:

Just got back from yoga class. The teacher (a friend of mine) played Radiohead's Bullet Proof and Sigur Ros's Fjogur Piano. :up: Now I'm drinking a vanilla Coke that they gave me for happy hour price at Sonic even though I was five minutes early. :up:

I think it's badass that they let fans pick out the Maladroit tracklisting. Part of me wishes U2 would let us do that, but then I realize that U2 has far too many fans to trust they'll come up with something decent..

Umm, yeah, these are the same idiots who prevented No Net from making the SC22 track listing.

The absolute worst is people who want to have a conversation at the urinal. Not the ideal place for small talk.

Small talk, huh?

:sad:

Quoting El Mel from the last thread:

Every song on Blue Album and Pinkerton is awesome. If they had just stopped after those two, I would place them among the most consistently great bands ever, alongside Velvet Underground and Big Star.

A bands got to have at least, what, three full studio albums to be given that consideration? I could say Sugar was one of the most consistenty great bands, as their only clunker on 2 albums and an EP was "Granny Cool" off FU:EL. Plus they had a considerable amount of good b-sides for being so short-lived.

Where would you rank File Under Easy Listening in the grand scheme of things? Obviously, comparing it to Copper Blue isn't going to turn out well. I really liked Silver Age and am in the mood to hear more in that vein.

I think Soundgarden was amazingly consistent with their 5 albums and 2 EPs, but it is almost certain they'll fuck it up with this new album.

Where would you rank File Under Easy Listening in the grand scheme of things? Obviously, comparing it to Copper Blue isn't going to turn out well. I really liked Silver Age and am in the mood to hear more in that vein.

Overall it's a step back from the aggressio! of Beaster (which is a must hear, if you haven't yet), though lead track The Gift comes storming out of the gate and is one of their best. The songwriting is nearly as good as on Copper Blue and matches it at times. Gee Angel, I Don't Believe What You're Saying, You Can't Hurt Me Anymor are all catchy power pop. Panama City Hotel is a loose rewrite of Beaster's opener Come Around (this time with a verse chorus verse structure) and the closing track Explode And Make Up is one of the rawest, most powerful vocals Bob's ever laid down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom