Random Music Talk LVI: Featuring Hologram Shouter and NSW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. I went back and read that exchange and thought they were talking about an Arcade Fire cover of something ....

If that's the case, then never mind, I fail at reading comprehension.

Edit: Magnetic Fields ... Blur .... Arcade Fire ........ now I see why I was confused. :lol:

Yeah, I think it became convoluted at some point, as IWB got confused as to who I was talking about as well.

Arcade Fire did a cover of Magnetic Fields' 'Born on a Train' during the Funeral period on some radio show. They performed a cool early version of Intervention on the same show.

I'll speak up on Mikal's behalf, because if he were hear, he'd be beating you about the head with a big stick and shouting, "Lotus Plaza! BUY LOTUS PLAZA!"

I realized today that I've been so busy thus far in 2012 that I've only purchased one new album - the shins. That won't do. What else should I pick up?

Shearwater's new one is great, if you like them.

Speaking of music that won't age well, chillwave really hits the spot on a warm, sunny day.

Personally, I think Magnetic Fields has aged well because there's so much lo-fi, synth-driven music in the indie world these days. They were fucking prescient, if anything.

People seem to be mad that the recordings aren't as good as the songs sound live.

I haven't heard the opportunity to see them live, but I will soon enough.

If I graded albums based on their quality relative to their live incarnations, Achtung Baby would be a 3/5 and The Who would be one of my least favorite album bands :shrug:

If I graded albums based on their quality relative to their live incarnations, Achtung Baby would be a 3/5 and The Who would be one of my least favorite bands :shrug:

:rolleyes:

If you and Peef were fans when this came out in 1991, I guarantee you'd be singing a different tune. Whatever.

Speaking of AB, I listened to Cock Station yesterday inside the actual Cock Station. And took a picture of the sign in there that has the band's name next to the name of the stop. LIKE IN THE BOOKLET.

I promise that's the last dorky Shuttlecock thing I'm going to do here in Berlin.

I haven't heard the opportunity to see them live, but I will soon enough.

If I graded albums based on their quality relative to their live incarnations, Achtung Baby would be a 3/5 and The Who would be one of my least favorite album bands :shrug:

Yeah, I guess that thing can happen when people get used to the live versions of new songs before they have an album version. I remember a lot of people haaaaated the album version of There There when it was first released.

If you and Peef were fans when this came out in 1991, I guarantee you'd be singing a different tune. Whatever.

The point is that I'm not a total dumbass and can judge songs as they are (no offense Scumbo, you know I think you're awesome)

I can't answer for Peef

The point is that I'm not a total dumbass and can judge songs as they are (no offense Scumbo, you know I think you're awesome)

I can't answer for Peef

Right, but as Mofo said, you're lacking the perspective to yield an objective opinion.

It's unfortunate you can't appreciate the greatest album ever recorded on its own merits.

Yeah, I guess that thing can happen when people get used to the live versions of new songs before they have an album version. I remember a lot of people haaaaated the album version of There There when it was first released.

I should listen to the ultra-nerdy CD-R I compiled of 2006 tour tracks sometime. It has badass Reckoner and the Coldplay remix of Videotape.

Right, but as Mofo said, you're lacking the perspective to yield an objective opinion.

It's unfortunate you can't appreciate the greatest album ever recorded on its own merits.

Yeah, but I get to appreciate How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb on its own merits, so it evens out.

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom