Random Music Talk CXVI: The world doesn't actually revolve around Mack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Watching Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" film and I see some bits that influenced Phil Joanou's approach to filming Rattle and Hum. Stop Making Sense still holds up all these years later.
The performances of Burning Down the House and Life During Wartime on that are two of the best I've seen on a concert film.

A couple 2016 albums flying under the radar that people really should make an effort to hear:

Kevin Morby: Singing Saw
Operators: Blue Wave
Deakin: Sleep Cycle

I really like the Morby album.
Been a really, really, really strong year so far.
From the ones that I don't think that have been talked about much:
Kacy & Clayton is great, I love the Nicholas Godin (half of Air) album, Bullion's Loop the Loop I still go back to, the new Freakwater albums a great surprise and Bonnie 'Prince' Billy is owning the year with 2 albums (1 with bbc sessions and 1 with Bitchin Bajas).
Of course Lucinda Williams' album was never going to be anything but great. Same goes for Ray Lamontagne.
And I love the Colin Stetson Reimagining Gorecki album.
And the Robert Pollard solo album is one of the best things he's done in quite a while.

I doubt anybody would be too familiar with them these days, but the new Kent album is very good and I recommend it to anyone who doesn't have too much of an aversion to non-English language music.

There are a couple of Canadians in this thread, so I'll post this here:

Sad news this morning as The Tragically Hip announced lead singer Gord Downie has terminal brain cancer. The band will go on tour one last time this summer. I'm not the biggest fan of the band, but I'll definitely try to make it to a show.

That's pretty shitty. 2016 is still going hard on trying to eliminate all the world's music. I did not know they were still around, I think they only had maybe 1 or 2 songs that were remotely popular outside of Canada and that was ages ago, I can't even remember what they were.

There are a couple of Canadians in this thread, so I'll post this here:

Sad news this morning as The Tragically Hip announced lead singer Gord Downie has terminal brain cancer. The band will go on tour one last time this summer. I'm not the biggest fan of the band, but I'll definitely try to make it to a show.
That's horrible news.

Bob Dylan turned 75 today. And last week was the 50th anniversary of Blonde on Blonde's release.

Glad he's will with us.

I saw a good tweet yesterday, that was along the lines of:

ALERT. Bob Dylan's birthday is tomorrow, he will be trending because of that. Not because he's dead.

I saw a good tweet yesterday, that was along the lines of:

ALERT. Bob Dylan's birthday is tomorrow, he will be trending because of that. Not because he's dead.

LOL. Yeah I totally would have assumed it was cos he was dead.

We'll find out some day that he died in that motorcycle crash and they've been propping him up on stage Weekend at Bernie's style ever since.

Holy fuck, I'm going to listen to this Car Seat Headrest dude simply because of the fucking covers he's been doing. In the past week he's covered I Can't Give Everything Away, Impossible Soul and Paranoid Android.

It's going to take me forever to get through this entire Day of the Dead compilation, but I'm liking what I'm hearing so far.

Holy fuck, I'm going to listen to this Car Seat Headrest dude simply because of the fucking covers he's been doing. In the past week he's covered I Can't Give Everything Away, Impossible Soul and Paranoid Android.

This combined with his shitty name is a persuasive case for me to not bother.

Back
Top Bottom