Random Music Talk CXVI: The world doesn't actually revolve around Mack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Damn, the ending of Flesh Without Blood on Fallon last night was so so good. Her voice doesn't translate that well live, but the music was amazing.

Grimes: Flesh without Blood - The Tonight Show

Well it's kinda hard for her to do live performance when she's that reliant of all the magic she uses on her DAW

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Apple Music doesn't remove anything from your hard drive. It doesn't replace the original tracks unless you do it manually.

I have almost 30K tracks in my iTunes library, and they're all still there in their original format. I've been using iTunes Match and their streaming service since they launched, and I've never lost anything that I'm aware of.

What happens is that if you upload a bootleg to iTunes on your PC, once it appears on your Apple Music app on your phone, the live version is replaced with the studio version, and then you have to add it again.

What happens is that if you upload a bootleg to iTunes on your PC, once it appears on your Apple Music app on your phone, the live version is replaced with the studio version, and then you have to add it again.

That's what I mean, it doesn't replace the original tracks on your computer. You have to do that manually if you want to replace them.

And it's actually pretty rare for a live track to get matched with a studio version. They almost always get uploaded as is.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Alright I won't be here for the next week, I'm busing driving an awful car from Mackay to Hobart. We've raised nearly $7000 for charity. Look up 'Spatula & Cut' on Facebook if you're interested. See yas

Welp. It's here.

You know, honestly, it's not that bad. Doesn't really do anything new with the song, but I expected worse.

l AM NOT A COMMlTTEE!!

452px-Leia_Organa.jpg

I didn't think Black Sabbath was capable of a track like this, but hot damn:

One of my favourites from that album. Another atypical one which is pretty underrated is Solitude from Master of Reality. Ozzy's singing is completely unrecognizable. Much softer and more restrained.

I like RHCP.

I'll regale you with a "Hewson RHCP Story" (really more of a Mrs. Hewson RHCP story)...not as good as the Hewson nearly knocks Iggy Pop off of Paradise stage story, but here goes...

So during the Californication Tour, in 2000, one of the local radio stations (the now defunct WFNX, the alternative station) was doing a contest to win tickets and a limo ride to see the Chilis at UMass Amherst (my and IWB's alma mater). The contest also included what was described as doing a pre-show press conference with the band. They played a like 10 second (if that) clip that was a portion of 5 RHCP songs and you had to be the 9th caller and identify all 5 songs. So I'm at work and they play the clip...immediately I can identify 4 of the 5, so I start dialing...lo and behold yours truly is caller 9. So I have scribbled down the 4 titles I know, and awaiting to be put on air. When I am they play the clip one additional time, so I listen closely and am able to nail the 5th song as Fight Like a Brave and win.

This was either Tues or Wed and the show was the upcoming Sunday. They give me info, I bring a guest (my then very new bride) and we meet at the parking lot by Fenway Park at like 4PM Sunday. We'll each get to ask the band 1 question and it will be recorded for broadcast on one of the station's Sunday night shows. I tell the wife the gig and she has no idea what to ask being a very casual fan. I give her a couple of ideas, but as you'll see she forgets anything I have told her when spotlight is on.

So we go, there's 2 limos. There were 6 winners and their guests, plus one of the station DJ's (Angie C) and a producer type. So we get a 2 hour limo ride west and arrive. They pick up our tix (mediocre seats, NSW would not be pleased) and bring us backstage into a small room, with 3 rows of 4 chairs facing a couple of chairs at the end of room. Wife and I get seated in the front of the 3 rows. They bring in Chad and Anthony (no Flea or John) and they sit in the 2 chairs facing us. (wife to this day still comments about how tiny Kiedis is). The producer dude takes out a microphone and hands it to the person in the last seat in back row and one by one folks ask their question and pass mic to next person.

So 8 folks have gone and microphone gets passed to me. Smith makes a comment about the colors of my T shirt being Detroit Lions colors (blue shirt with silver fish on it I got on honeymoon in Maui) I retort something about the Patriots and he replies something about Harrison Ford and Patriot Games in a silly back and forth. Then I ask my question, what my brother has described as my "go to question" in these circumstances, this was my first use of it, but have used it subsequently in meetings with Robert Plant and Billy Corgan at contest meet & greets. So after Kiedis answers, I pass the mic to my wife, she grabs it and without hesitation, without introducing herself or anything says "Are you going to play naked tonight?"

The room erupts into hysterics. After the laughter quiets, Kiedis goes into some answer about having to be the right vibe and its more acceptable in Europe and some other places, so no not tonight, but says next time they play in Europe that they'll fly my wife and I over for a show. Of course that never happened. But a few weeks later they broadcast the thing on the radio. I have it taped somewhere on a cassette in a box in a closet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom