Random Music Talk CXIX: Donko Blocko

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was watching Car Seat Headrest at the Curtin Hotel... not sure I've been to many divier bars than this. I have no idea how they're even allowed to host gigs there, it's a fucking gigantic fire hazard.

I was thinking the same thing the last time I saw a gig there. If anything goes wrong in the bandroom, that stairwell will be a death trap.

On the other hand, when one of my friend's bands played there, they were super generous with the rider and I didn't pay for a drink the whole night.

I wasn't expecting the sound to be very good but it was a solid eight out of ten. Could hear Will Toledo pretty well for the majority of the night and the guitar and drums were pretty clear.

You definitely weren't in the front few rows then! Probably the worst venue in Melbourne for being able to hear vocals up the front. I always go to the hard left or right to make sure I'm in front of a speaker; front row centre is a dead spot for vocals like few others.

I must correct myself, Shivers is by Boys Next Door (aka Birthday Party aka proto-Nick Cave & TBS). Was awesome.

The Pixies cover ruled as well. I should listen to Pixies.

Nearly ten years later, Fleet Foxes' debut is still an astonishing record. I really hope they follow through soon on a new album.

It really is one hit after another. In revisiting it, I was taken aback by how many standout tracks are on there that I still remembered vividly after all these years.

I re-listened to Helplessness Blues fairly recently out of curiosity. It's good but there's not as much there in terms of powerhouse melodies.

Last edited:
I cannot recommend Sampha's debut album enough. The guy started putting out EPs in 2010 and has been doing mostly features since, but the final product of all that work is really something else. Kind of like a wonderful cross between Benjamin Clementine and James Blake.

That beat switch omg

Yeah, I fucking hate it, especially the huge pics separating threads in the timeline. Who asked for that?

I don't mind the look, but...

- you have to scroll to get to the timeline tab (the only one I use)
- tweets don't embed
- there's now ads on every page
- you have to swipe harder/further to scroll through pages
- the pics as you mention

Hopefully an update will fix all this very soon.

From the start Present Tense was my favorite song off the album. The vocal melodies are so beautiful and then there's the part you described. The rest of the song is actually a bit of a disappointment after that. It's still fantastic but the climax is halfway through.

So, in The Other Place someone posted a link to a podcast called Song Exploder, which speaks with artists about the writing and recording process of one specific song. They all run about 10 minutes, plus the finished track in its entirety at the end.

The one they linked to was back from 2015, and naturally was about Shuttlecock. Semenwood Load, to be precise. A decent interview with Boner and Hedge.

Looking through their older episodes, I found a couple that were just as if not more interesting, Warpaint's Love Is To Die, and Spoon's Inside Out. For the latter, they oddly didn't even talk to Britt Daniel, but rather only Jim Eno. Really fascinating to hear about their process, where Daniel will give Eno a little demo and ask him to lay down beats and percussion as if another specific band was interpreting the song. So as it turns out Inside Out was inspired by the sound of Dr. Dre's 2001 album.

The really funny part was when he was giving examples of bands Daniel would suggest to him as jumping off points (such as Elvis Costello), and then he says "It never sounds really like Iggy Pop or U2, it always sounds like Spoon, but there's little things that seep in."

I found it fascinating that someone like Daniel would take inspiration from U2 even in a marginal sense, so that was kind of cool. But now I'm curious which song they were part of the construction of.

We'll have to get Imperor to track down Jim Eno in Austin and get the scoop.

Yeah, I fucking hate it, especially the huge pics separating threads in the timeline. Who asked for that?
Oh that's not what it looked like to you guys on iPhones ever since you've been praising the update?

Yeah, you can turn that feature off. I hate the ads, but the tweets never worked for me, so this is nothing new.

That podcast is great, Laz. The Inside Out episode was one of my favorites, actually. I've been meaning to check out the Cranes in the Sky episode for a while, but haven't been able to yet.

I don't often get into mashup albums because they typically are really disjointed and shitty with zero replay value, but this new Neil Cicierega project is a blast. Fucking hilarious, inventive and even features some rather meaningful satire in spots. It's like someone took the internet in 2017 and made a made a coherent album out of it. It's free to stream here:

MOUTH MOODS

For better or worse, you will recognize all of the samples. He doesn't dig deep and it's more of a celebration/critique of surface-level culture. Of course, the best part is the chopping of lyrics from established hits into weird new narratives, not sticking two songs together, which anybody with sound editing software can do.

I don't know, halfway through and while I think it's a lot of fun, it's pretty surface level. I dig it, but it's not making me feel a whole lot of wonder/amazement.

Though I will say that I laughed my ass off at 1000 miles/Back in Black.

EDIT: Spoke too soon, towards the back half there is some fantastic stuff here. That emotional version of YMCA, tho.

That podcast is great, Laz. The Inside Out episode was one of my favorites, actually. I've been meaning to check out the Cranes in the Sky episode for a while, but haven't been able to yet.

Yeah it's one of my favorite podcasts. I really liked the Grimes one for "Kill v Maim."

Sounds like TV on the Radio. I never actually listened to their first record. It kind of passed me by, not really sure why. Seasons was great, I think I just cottoned on too late.

Mac DeMarco has a new record out, too, in May, with a great title, This Old Dog.

Back
Top Bottom