Random Music Talk CXIX: Donko Blocko

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
New Timber Timbre in April: "Sincerely Future Pollution." Probably only LM and I will care about it though.

I do indeed care about it; in fact, it's probably my own anticipated new album at this stage. This year is starting slowly for me.

just googled the release date/price for that anniversary picture disc of Bowie's Sound And Vision as I thought it'd be a nice present for my sister...fucking £13?! sod that. :lol:

"2016 Remaster" though, is it grasping at straws hoping a Low/Heroes/Lodger set's coming? I'm not in the loop with Bowie stuff by any means.

The new Bonobo album fucking sucks :sigh:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
I've never really gotten his appeal. To me even his older records are just nice lounge music. It's good music for when you're working or reading.

I loved (most of) The North Borders, Cirrus is a fucking banger. Which is why I'm surprised the new one is nothing more than remotely pleasant study music.

Perfume Genius is tweeting that new album details are on the way. Can't wait to see what direction he takes with this record.

So, random, I came across my Best of 2012 playlist the other day and have been listening to it a lot lately. Holy shit, what a year for songs that was. I'm not sure if it was that strong an album year or not, but the songs on that playlist are just absurdly good, some of my favorites ever. But there are a lot of bands on there where I'm thinking, where'd they go? Alt-J and Here We Go Magic being the two main ones that I don't feel like I've heard the names of lately.

I'm not sure if it was that strong an album year or not

Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel
Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city
Beach House - Bloom
Allo Darlin' - Europe
Tame Impala - Lonerism
Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
Wild Nothing - Nocturne
Goat - World Music
iamamiwhoami - Kin
Burial - Kindred
Parquet Courts - Light Up Gold
Chairlift - Something
The Tallest Man on Earth - There's No Leaving Now
Jessie Ware - Devotion
Lotus Plaza - Spooky Action at a Distance
Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory
Miguel - Kaleidoscope Dream
Father John Misty - Fear Fun
Waxahatchee - American Weekend
Sharon Van Etten - Tramp
John Talabot - ƒIN
Japandroids - Celebration Rock
Bat for Lashes - The Haunted Man
Shearwater - Animal Joy
The Twilight Sad - No One Can Ever Know
Alcest - Les voyages de l'âme
Neil Young - Psychedelic Pill
Flying Lotus - Until the Quiet Comes
Purity Ring - Shrines
Death Grips - The Money Store
Chromatics - Kill for Love
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!
Twin Shadow - Confess
Nas - Life Is Good
DIIV - Oshin
Julia Holter - Ekstasis
White Lung - Sorry
Spiritualized - Sweet Heart Sweet Light
Grimes - Visions
Passion Pit - Gossamer
Grizzly Bear - Shields
Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music
The Men - Open Your Heart
Swans - The Seer

It wasn't bad.

:combust:

Last edited:
I had a chance to hear the whole AFI album today. There are a few clunky moments but also some nice, dark sounds that I think I can get into. I really want to sit down with the lyrics the next time I listen. Their best albums are always thematically cohesive. Maybe that's in the lyrics for this one. I'm not sure yet. But I think I'm gonna like it overall.

I'm liking it more on repeat listens. Definitely liked the last album more though.

This is taking place across the street from where I work. I will not be attending.

EDGEFEST 2017 feat. Blink-182 tickets in Frisco at Toyota Stadium on Sat, Apr 1, 2017 - 12:30PM

I'm liking it more on repeat listens. Definitely liked the last album more though.

This is taking place across the street from where I work. I will not be attending.

EDGEFEST 2017 feat. Blink-182 tickets in Frisco at Toyota Stadium on Sat, Apr 1, 2017 - 12:30PM
That's the fest where I saw them for the first time and fell in love :)

Wow has it fallen off. That's the lineup for their 25th? When I went, it was Chemical Romance, Muse, Jet, AFI, Blue October, Bowling for Soup, Papa Roach, and a couple of bands that had single songs out at the time I can't remember their names offhand .

Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel
Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city
Beach House - Bloom
Allo Darlin' - Europe
Tame Impala - Lonerism
Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
Wild Nothing - Nocturne
Goat - World Music
iamamiwhoami - Kin
Burial - Kindred
Parquet Courts - Light Up Gold
Chairlift - Something
The Tallest Man on Earth - There's No Leaving Now
Jessie Ware - Devotion
Lotus Plaza - Spooky Action at a Distance
Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory
Miguel - Kaleidoscope Dream
Father John Misty - Fear Fun
Waxahatchee - American Weekend
Sharon Van Etten - Tramp
John Talabot - ƒIN
Japandroids - Celebration Rock
Bat for Lashes - The Haunted Man
Shearwater - Animal Joy
The Twilight Sad - No One Can Ever Know
Alcest - Les voyages de l'âme
Neil Young - Psychedelic Pill
Flying Lotus - Until the Quiet Comes
Purity Ring - Shrines
Death Grips - The Money Store
Chromatics - Kill for Love
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!
Twin Shadow - Confess
Nas - Life Is Good
DIIV - Oshin
Julia Holter - Ekstasis
White Lung - Sorry
Spiritualized - Sweet Heart Sweet Light
Grimes - Visions
Passion Pit - Gossamer
Grizzly Bear - Shields
Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music
The Men - Open Your Heart
Swans - The Seer

It wasn't bad.

:combust:
Sex Church

I experienced so little outrage over the results that I forgot to respond. I was very pleased for the most part, though Blonde should have been higher.

Formation was noooooot the best single of 2016. No no no.

Not sure how On Hold slipped me by, man that's a fucking great song.

The rest of I See You doesn't do much for me, but damn is that song good. Romy's vocals are sensational.

I don't often get into mashup albums because they typically are really disjointed and shitty with zero replay value, but this new Neil Cicierega project is a blast. Fucking hilarious, inventive and even features some rather meaningful satire in spots. It's like someone took the internet in 2017 and made a made a coherent album out of it. It's free to stream here:

MOUTH MOODS

For better or worse, you will recognize all of the samples. He doesn't dig deep and it's more of a celebration/critique of surface-level culture. Of course, the best part is the chopping of lyrics from established hits into weird new narratives, not sticking two songs together, which anybody with sound editing software can do.

Last edited:
Skeleton Tree title track closing the main set at Nick Cave tonight was so incredible. Getting emotional thinking about it again.

Fuck, you shouldn't have said that. I'll be fucking devastated if he doesn't play it tomorrow night.

I was watching Car Seat Headrest at the Curtin Hotel... not sure I've been to many divier bars than this. I have no idea how they're even allowed to host gigs there, it's a fucking gigantic fire hazard.

Just a sensational gig. I wasn't expecting the sound to be very good but it was a solid eight out of ten. Could hear Will Toledo pretty well for the majority of the night and the guitar and drums were pretty clear.

Took me ages to get into the bandroom because your name needed to be down on the list, even if you had a fucking ticket, which was infuriating, but I digress. They came on 15 minutes ahead of time, which I've never seen happen before.

Something else I've never seen happen before: a gig for a small-time band where EVERYONE in the room knows the words to several songs. Fill in the Blank, Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales and Destroyed by Hippie Powers went fucking nuts. They were so good.

One of my favourite things about this band is they're one of the very, very, very few bands who actually do covers well - Will was like "time for an Australian special", and they played this song, which I'd actually never even heard before (everyone knows this band, but for "Better". It was fucking fantastic. Absolutely sensational.

Back
Top Bottom