Random Music Talk C - Cobbler 'C'-ees us Into Triple Figures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also agree on celebrities' opinions on issues. It's downright idiotic asking them, I think. If they want to say something, then do it of their own accord. Asking them is pointless.

Australia is lip-service central, I'm afraid. I thought we were going to make some serious progress after Kevin Rudd apologised to the Stolen Generations, but on reflection I was much too naive.

Since most Australians rarely see Aboriginal people, awful stereotypes are prolific. They are heavily marginalised, generally only visible when they are homeless or on the news for something negative. It remains deeply controversial to try to determine how many Aboriginals died during colonisation or how violent the frontier was, because a lot of right-wing politicians and commentators keep trying to shut down the debate (the loony fringe also continues to deny that the Stolen Generations ever happened). The combination of collective ignorance towards Aboriginals and a failure to appreciate the thunderously deleterious consequences of colonialism means many Aboriginals live in third world conditions. The current levels of health and educational attainment for Aboriginals should be a national disgrace; instead we now have a Prime Minister cutting services.

Agreed... and you know what's amazing? When I was on the rally we passed through a couple of remote Aboriginal communities and in towns like Broome the Aboriginal population is much higher... and I hate to say it but it was a bit of a shock, for lack of a better word, for me. I've lived here all my life but I saw more Aboriginal people that week than I ever had. And I just got really, really sad about everything.

Joe Hildebrand might cop a lot of stick these days, and he's become a bit more of a douche since falling into the MMM-10-Tele world, but in Dumb, Drunk and Racist I learnt more about Aboriginal history in 23 minutes than I had in the rest of my life.

OK, you finally got me to read up on this after all of the posting...

...this really does sound like the fakest fake story to ever fake...

...doesn't take away from the music, but it really does seem fake as fuck.

OK, you finally got me to read up on this after all of the posting...

...this really does sound like the fakest fake story to ever fake...

...doesn't take away from the music, but it really does seem fake as fuck.

I haven't followed this much at all or listened to the music, but the copyright dates suggest the story is true. You can't backdate copyright, i.e. they couldn't have registered it yesterday but put a 1983 date on it.

Australia is lip-service central, I'm afraid. I thought we were going to make some serious progress after Kevin Rudd apologised to the Stolen Generations, but on reflection I was much too naive.

Since most Australians rarely see Aboriginal people, awful stereotypes are prolific. They are heavily marginalised, generally only visible when they are homeless or on the news for something negative. It remains deeply controversial to try to determine how many Aboriginals died during colonisation or how violent the frontier was, because a lot of right-wing politicians and commentators keep trying to shut down the debate (the loony fringe also continues to deny that the Stolen Generations ever happened). The combination of collective ignorance towards Aboriginals and a failure to appreciate the thunderously deleterious consequences of colonialism means many Aboriginals live in third world conditions. The current levels of health and educational attainment for Aboriginals should be a national disgrace; instead we now have a Prime Minister cutting services.

Interesting - thanks for sharing. This seems to align quite a bit with the position of Native Americans: frequently homeless, destitute, drug or alcohol addicted. There are few opportunities for them.

Interesting as well that you mention the prospect of an apology from the government. I wonder if that would really mean anything to native peoples - "hey, we messed up, but we really have no intention of giving up anything we gained at your expense." The words seem meaningless without action.

I don't mean to turn this thread into a history nerd thing, but here's one last item about Aboriginal history I came across and found intriguing. Apparently it is a British illustration of legal consequences directed at Aboriginal peoples:

Gov_Davey%27s_proclamation-edit2.jpg

Kind of related to IYup's topic of conversation, but only tangentially, I was talking to my great-aunt a little while back about my great grandfather. I was hoping to get some kind of information from her to track down my native ancestry and maybe start learning more about the tribe his family was from. My sister and I had recently discovered that our (my maiden) last name was, in fact, English and we couldn't figure out how that was the case, considering we were always told that my G-Grandfather, was, in fact, 100% Native American. So, I ask my aunt about this and she said that it was such a weird coincidence that I had asked, because recently she had also been trying to track down that information and had come up against the same dead end that suggested my great grandfather (on the right in the picture under the tag) is English....

946498_656901007657704_1351621054_n.jpg

Anyways, I only share this story for a couple reasons: 1) I find ancestry fascinating and am more curious than ever about my own (on my mother's side I can easily trace everything back to Ireland, so it's not quite as fun) and 2) I've been debating whether or not to splurge on one of those DNA test things to finally settle this, but from what I understand, it wouldn't work if I did it, only if my dad did.

So that's your random bit of information for the day.

Like you, my mother's side is easily traceable to Ireland (like, third generation American easy to trace). My dad doesn't know anything about his ancestry (and could not possibly care less) but my cousin told me we are all Irish on that side and I have just taken his word for it. So I guess I am 100 percent Irish.

Like you, my mother's side is easily traceable to Ireland (like, third generation American easy to trace). My dad doesn't know anything about his ancestry (and could not possibly care less) but my cousin told me we are all Irish on that side and I have just taken his word for it. So I guess I am 100 percent Irish.

Yeah, I can't remember now if it was my great grandfather or my great-great grandfather that came over from Ireland (on my mother's father's side), but I know that he came over, changed his last name from Gallagher to something equally Irish for whatever reason, moved the family to the Great Lakes region and then promptly abandoned them, never to be seen or heard from again. I know I'm not 100% Irish on that side, though, because my grandmother has a mix of Dutch and German ancestry so I'm just very white on one side.

my great grandfather (on the right in the picture under the tag) is English....

946498_656901007657704_1351621054_n.jpg

Interesting.
Certainly doesn't look English in that photo, far too tanned looking. (If you had said he was Native American that would match up with the pic much better than English)

I'm 75% Irish, 25% English. My mother was of 100% Irish descent, my father was half Irish, half English descent. (Last name is English)...nobody in my immediate family could come close to that skin tone without spending a few years with Snooki and JWow at the tanning salon.

FKA Twigs is awesome. Can't wait for LP1!

Interesting.
Certainly doesn't look English in that photo, far too tanned looking. (If you had said he was Native American that would match up with the pic much better than English)

I'm 75% Irish, 25% English. My mother was of 100% Irish descent, my father was half Irish, half English descent. (Last name is English)...nobody in my immediate family could come close to that skin tone without spending a few years with Snooki and JWow at the tanning salon.

Which is why I basically laughed my ass off, upon hearing that was a possibility. I wish I had a better picture of him handy, but that's all I could find on one of my aunt's Facebook pages. There's no way he's not Native American. Absolutely no chance.

Even being Irish, I myself get pretty damn dark very, very quickly, so, again, this just leaves me crazy curious about the whole matter. Maybe some day when I have a lot of spare cash :)lol: ) I'll finally be able to track down my ancestry.

My mom spent some time trying to track out family history. I swear she got something wrong, because there's no way that back when intercontinental travel took months by sea they were going around getting kicked out of countries and doing what she claims they were doing. Supposedly the Dutch ancestors (I am 100% mutt, outside of a couple Scandinavian countries and maybe Belgium, good luck finding a European country of pale, pastey, burns horribly in direct sunlight that someone reportedly didnt descend from) came here, hooked up with some Irish, Scottish, English, French, and Germans (multi cultural sluts, they were) before getting kicked out of what would have been Western Massachusetts or NY (not really sure). At which point they supposedly decided to go to Brazil of all places for a bit before coming back and setting up shop in the Midwest.

And that's just my mother's mother's side of the family...

My great-grandpa (my grandma's dad) was from Norway and jumped ship when the ship was anchored in Duluth. He changed his name from the Norwegian Jenson to the Danish Jensen so he wouldn't be tracked. Family stories say that my Grandpa, his son-in-law, knew the governor of Minnesota and was able to get this fixed. This fixing was probably in the late 20s or early 30s.

So when folks were rambling on about deporting "illeagles" and all their damned offspring a few years ago, I chuckled.

Not entirely. It actually only offers to the ones who want to come here to actually work.

It doesn't even include those other people from that particular commonwealth who come here for the wellfare (and here especially, masshealth) and then rob the Mexicans, rather than "steal" those jobs that those of us whose ancestors came here a while ago don't even want to work in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom