Random Music CXXV: Least necessary thread edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't Louis CK also mock the Parkland students during one of his recent whiny rants? I'd never seen any of his stuff before, and that combined with the creepy stuff he did guarantees I never will, 'cause seriously, what the hell?

I can understand people being willing to forgive when somebody says something ignorant or cruel, and I agree that there are some things that can be forgivable, and I also support second chances and whatnot, too. But when actual abuse and sexual assault are involved...it's not often people who do that stuff tend to "change and grow"-if anything, they tend to get shittier much of the time. So I'm totally fine with dropping them.

I think Dave makes a good point about not wanting to support artists who are currently inflicting pain, too. If an actor/musician/artist who did shitty things is dead, for instance, I can see where it might be a little easier for some people to still find a way to enjoy their work. Especially if the person's been dead for decades/centuries, and you've got that distance from their awful behavior.

This is terrific, thanks for sharing. Laura Snapes is one of the best in the business.

Glad you enjoyed it :). Will definitely look up more of her articles.

I read an interesting editorial that suggested that CK knows exactly what he's doing, that he's writing material to appeal to the one faction of the public that maybe isn't so bothered about what he did - i.e. far right-wing Trump types.

If that's true, that would be particularly sad.

Re: the art vs artist thing, I always side with separating the two. If you insist on 'cancelling', you will inevitably end up missing some important work.

I obviously don't condone or excuse any of the terrible behavior that people have been accused of, but we have to be able to accept that humanity is a complex enough beast that one person can put out great work that is worthy of being consumed, and also do terrible things.

Put it this way: if it came out that Leonardo Da Vinci had been a creep who did bad things, would we demand that the Mona Lisa be removed from the Louvre and destroyed?

The Mona Lisa is completely boring anyway, do what you want with it.

Thank you, this has been Axver's Bad Take for today.

Not a bad take at all Ax. I've been to the Lourve and there was a crowd of people maybe like 20 or 30 deep looking at it (taking photos of it). It's tiny and literally on the opposite wall when I went there was a sprawling, incredible painting that was maybe like 10 metres long. It was astonishing. And no was paying it any attention. A lot of old art bores me to fucking tears.

I read an interesting editorial that suggested that CK knows exactly what he's doing, that he's writing material to appeal to the one faction of the public that maybe isn't so bothered about what he did - i.e. far right-wing Trump types.

If that's true, that would be particularly sad.

And quite pathetic if he'd rather try and focus on making money off them then addressing things properly. I'd pay money to see him actually address this stuff well in a set.

in Louis CK's very lukewarm defense, those sets technically weren't supposed to be public, a lot fo comedians say that they typically perform very unrefined sets in smaller clubs before performing them for real. that could explain why Louis' jokes are cony and unfunny in a way

This is such an enormous point. For me, this came up because I attended the University of Oklahoma. One of our football players, Joe Mixon, was in an altercation with a woman in a restaurant. She and another person were calling him the N word, and he forcefully slammed her into a table, leaving her injured. There were repercussions with him missing games (a whole season, I think), but in the end, he and the woman were able to talk and make peace. Despite that, the incident will follow him, and even my own sister insists that there's nothing Mixon could ever do to make up for it.

Well, let's use facts...he didn't "forcefully slam her into a table", he knocked her out with a right cross.

Regardless of what she said, his actions were way over the line and criminal.
He should have been sent to jail, not suspended from the football team, but since he was a highly recruited athlete, he got off easy.

That's odd. I feel like if someone uses the N-word, all bets are off. If it was a guy who the football player beat senseless I don't think you'd hear much of a stink raised. Now obviously there's a domestic violence problem with athletes, professional sports, etc. But those don't tend to have anything to do with racism. And while physical violence may seem like an outsized response to offensive language, I personally don't have any sympathy for racists and what happens to them as a result of their behavior.

This is mostly where I'm coming from. I can't imagine how enraged he was to be called that word by a stranger in a restaurant. My sister, who works for child welfare services, made the point that people who are bigger and stronger than other people need to be aware of how easily they can hurt smaller people, especially children. And that's valid too.

Well, let's use facts...he didn't "forcefully slam her into a table", he knocked her out with a right cross.

Regardless of what she said, his actions were way over the line and criminal.
He should have been sent to jail, not suspended from the football team, but since he was a highly recruited athlete, he got off easy.

I've never seen both of the angles you posted. I've only seen it from an angle where it looks like he pushes her. I knew that one way or the other, her face hit the table. Sorry for the wrong information. Re: criminal charges, he was charged with a misdemeanor and sentenced to both community service and mandatory counseling.

The point still remains for me that people want Joe Mixon "cancelled" forever. But if the woman in the video has moved on from it, I think it's reasonable that the rest of us could do the same.

Based on many of the men and women I've talked to over the last year, or however long it's been, that don't really have a problem with what he did, that's *not* really an accurate description.

That being said, his behavior since the re-emergence has been nothing but disappointing.

Also, based on what I said yesterday, now that I've heard more about Ryan Adams, looks like I'll be adding him to the Spacey list of people I probably won't ever be able to enjoy the work of again. Fucking sucks, but that's the choice he made.

Very glad that teenage me downloaded all that classic Norwegian black metal rather than giving a single cent to some of the world's shittiest cockheads.

Varg made some damn good atmospheric black metal but he can fuck right off if he thinks I'm gonna boost his bank balance by even the tiniest fraction.

Of course I'm sure Varg doesn't want my commie PC bleeding heart cash anyway.

When I had facebook a few months ago, a music/book store near me posted a pile of shirts they got from somewhere and there was a Burzum shirt on top of the pile. Now I know he’s not seeing a cent on that, and you can talk about separating an artist from their art all you want, but if you’re rocking that shirt then chances are you’re also a Nazi piece of shit.

That whole sub genre of burn-the-church-murder-the-guitarist metal walks a fine line for me between peaceful music to fall asleep to and unlistenable trash, usually falling on the side of the latter. But I’ve felt the need to be hyper vigilant with trying to make sure no Nazi bands end up in any legal or illegally obtained music collection in other genres, just so I don’t have to have that debate.

Last edited:
Saw Slowdive last night at an awesome mini-festival at the Chicago Art Institute. I still think they have a legitimate claim to best band of the 90s. I can't think of anyone else who put together such a spellbinding three-album run.

Also, based on what I said yesterday, now that I've heard more about Ryan Adams, looks like I'll be adding him to the Spacey list of people I probably won't ever be able to enjoy the work of again. Fucking sucks, but that's the choice he made.

I’m with you. He’s now being investigated by the FBI for his alleged inappropriate relationship with the underage girl.

When I had facebook a few months ago, a music/book store near me posted a pile of shirts they got from somewhere and there was a Burzum shirt on top of the pile. Now I know he’s not seeing a cent on that, and you can talk about separating an artist from their art all you want, but if you’re rocking that shirt then chances are you’re also a Nazi piece of shit.

That whole sub genre of burn-the-church-murder-the-guitarist metal walks a fine line for me between peaceful music to fall asleep to and unlistenable trash, usually falling on the side of the latter. But I’ve felt the need to be hyper vigilant with trying to make sure no Nazi bands end up in any legal or illegally obtained music collection in other genres, just so I don’t have to have that debate.

It was very weird about eight or nine years ago when it was sort of cool to wear Burzum shirts at gigs that had nothing to do with black metal, like at slacker indie gigs or whatever. I'm glad that didn't last long. I have a fucking large collection of band shirts but I wouldn't be caught dead repping most of those classic black metal bands whose members had a nasty habit of being either Nazi bin juice or homophobic fuckheads.

Saw Slowdive last night at an awesome mini-festival at the Chicago Art Institute. I still think they have a legitimate claim to best band of the 90s. I can't think of anyone else who put together such a spellbinding three-album run.

I maintain their eponymous comeback album is their best, just pipping Souvlaki.

It was very weird about eight or nine years ago when it was sort of cool to wear Burzum shirts at gigs that had nothing to do with black metal, like at slacker indie gigs or whatever. I'm glad that didn't last long. I have a fucking large collection of band shirts but I wouldn't be caught dead repping most of those classic black metal bands whose members had a nasty habit of being either Nazi bin juice or homophobic fuckheads.

That is very odd.

I’ve seen, maybe participated in, the ass whooping of dudes who wore a skrewdriver shirt or had certain rac-type patch at punk shows.

I remember being at one of the early Lollapaloozas, when Rage Against The Machine had just started getting popular and were the first band of the day. Zach stopped the show to point out some guy wearing a Screwdriver shirt who was upfront and began castigating him over the mic. He was like "Why the fuck are you wearing that shirt?" and "Do you know what that band stands for?" And told the audience how they were white supremacists and that anyone wearing one of their shirts was an asshole or an idiot for not being informed.

Much respect for him that day.

Haven’t men been allowed to get away with so much shit in any industry?

that's actually true, I don't think cases about R Kelly or Ryan Adams or a dude from Brand New isn't really indicative of something specific to the music industry but rather the symptom of something more overarching within our society

I have purchased music recording software and am beginning to learn how to use it, with the goal of recording an album. I have been writing songs for a decade, most of which are shit. But I've got 8-12 right now that I think could come together as something if I can figure out how to do this.

I have purchased music recording software and am beginning to learn how to use it, with the goal of recording an album. I have been writing songs for a decade, most of which are shit. But I've got 8-12 right now that I think could come together as something if I can figure out how to do this.

Good luck. My first piece of advice: mix a lot lower than you’d think you would - try to have the master track peaking at about -10db before adding any sort of mastering plugins. It might seem weird to see individual tracks peaking at -15db, but you’ll thank yourself in the long run if you stick to it.

Which software did you get?

I got FL Studio, and I have to be honest, it's confusing the shit out of me to this point. The whole interaction between channel, mixer, and pattern does not yet make sense to me. Any instance in which I am trying to put tracks on top of one another in the playlist has resulted in disaster.

I got FL Studio, and I have to be honest, it's confusing the shit out of me to this point. The whole interaction between channel, mixer, and pattern does not yet make sense to me. Any instance in which I am trying to put tracks on top of one another in the playlist has resulted in disaster.

FL Studios was the first software I used and I didn’t really care for it. I moved onto GarageBand and Logic Pro X shortly after. I know people who swear by FL Studios though. Maybe spend some time watching tutorial videos to help get a sense of the workflow?

I do not have a Mac so my options were limited. I have used GarageBand before and found it to be very user friendly.

The tutorials will have to be the thing, but even those have come up short to this point.

i use fl studio too, i know others who use it as well so if you've ever got a question, i might be able to answer it.

so Pitchfork runs a sister website about craft beer. It's bad enough as it is, but this article is every bit as bad as that Village Vanguard review. I hate literally every fucking thing about this so much This Brewer Uses a Didgeridoo to Make Kombucha

The opening paragraph was one of the worst things I've ever read, so I didn't go any further.

Get Reaper instead if you're using guitars and the like. Far simpler and more intuitive. FL Studio is better for making electronic/hip hop beats.

I've made a resolution this year to hate-read/watch less, which I think is a really good move, but I couldn't help but click on that. Laz it will make you so angry, particularly when you keep reading and see the pic. It is one of the most ignorant, tone-deaf websites I've ever come across. And these arseholes. Firstly, kombucha is the biggest load of shit on the planet, I had one sip of one once and nearly threw up, and will never touch it again. And of course it's become the biggest fucking 'health' trend for hippie wankers. And is just a sign of capitalism. And so these pricks have gone hmm how do we differentiate ourselves in a crowded market, I know, let's take an instrument and symbol of the oldest living culture on the planet that we know nothing about play it near our drinks ~~~~cos vibrations~~~~~ so we can make our drinks $2 more expensive and get fuckwits with ridiculous disposable incomes to buy them and get an even bigger wanker ignorant American journo who also has no idea what an Aboriginal Australian person looks like to write about it. Fuck, it just made me so goddamn mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom