Radiohead need to stop - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 08-29-2003, 12:32 AM   #1
Local Time: 05:31 PM
Radiohead need to stop

doing their whole wanking act and be a good band again

and a good band is a band that writes good music, rather than the whole Chuck D thing or having something to say about something! Because Radiohead are not that kind of band!

i was watching the 7 Television Commercials DVD and that tells me that radiohead WAS a good band, rather than their status of mediocrity they have achieved in their last 2 albums!

i mean if Coldplay are contempt with mediocrity, but everyone's liking their "blah" like Clocks and God Put a Smile Up On Your Face, why doesnt Thom just be who he's supposed to be?

Old 08-29-2003, 12:46 AM   #2
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 02:31 AM
you lookin' for a flamin' boy?

cuz i got one o' dem supah soakah watchemacallsit left ovah frum da last wah.

Speaking of which, I was lucky enough to partake in a fine singalong rendition of Wolf At The Door This Evening. That song is not the work of a good band though, that is the work of an excellent band.

Old 08-29-2003, 01:26 AM   #3
Local Time: 01:31 AM
Some would call Hail To The Thief a mainstream pop style record... as it does resemble their Bends-era type music. It doesn't necessary preclude or foreshadow their subsequent work.

In your estimation they should stop, but what motivates that? you don't know where they're going.

I'd rather keep listening to hear what new melodies and sounds they create, instead of seeing them striving to appeal to a certain individual's subjectivity. Their music will always be provoking (one way or another), so that does hold weight in artistic merit... which hopefully qualifies as "good music".
Old 08-29-2003, 01:43 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 07:31 AM
Hail is the one of the most poppy albums I've heard in a while. I can't believe more people don't see this. It's pop dressed up to sound unconventional...but all the hooks and the structures are still there. I still don't get it when people say Radiohead write alien sounds (not songs) that don't go anywhere. Must be the short attention span syndrom that's eating the world by storm these days.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:47 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 12:31 AM
Yeah, have you heard Radiohead's new album?
Old 08-29-2003, 05:48 AM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor
*waits for flamewar
Old 08-29-2003, 05:52 AM   #7
Blue Meth Addict

Old 08-29-2003, 06:00 AM   #8
Jesus Online
Local Time: 06:31 PM
I feel like one of the Pop haters here, but why is it a short attention span Micheal, that would be the reason people don't enjoy them? Can people really not like something these days without it being blamed on some ridiculous vague social wave? I was no fan of Karma Police and Creep, so I asked some people to recommend their 2 favourite Radiohead songs. I ended up downloading 3 or 4. I have to say I thought they were pretty crap. No real reason, I'm not autistic, don't have ADD, don't have the attention span of an axolotl, I simply didn't like them.
That said, I heard about 10-20 seconds of something off HTTF on MTV a few weeks ago, and before the husband flicked passed the station, I thought of how interesting it sounded and that perhaps this new stuff is worth checking out.

I'll grab some popcorn and join April I think, lol

*this wasn't directed at you Michael after the first line or so btw, just as a general response*
<a href= target=_blank></a>
Old 08-29-2003, 08:04 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 03:31 AM
I loved The Bends and OK, but HTTT is equally impressive, to say that Radiohead needs to start being a good band again is silly after you have seen them live...
Old 08-29-2003, 08:58 AM   #10
love, blood, life
Local Time: 03:31 AM
Originally posted by Elvis Presley
I loved The Bends and OK, but HTTT is equally impressive, to say that Radiohead needs to start being a good band again is silly after you have seen them live...
Amen to that - they are certainly one of the greatest live bands.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:11 AM   #11
love, blood, life
Local Time: 05:01 AM
I love HTTT and Kid A like my own children

amnesiac is less good but still really good all the same

I hope they don't change. I hope Thom makes good on his promise to slip into obscurity.

I hope for a whole Radiohead techno-jazz album with all the fixings!
Old 08-29-2003, 10:40 AM   #12
New Yorker
People who think HTTT and The Bends sound similar are deluding themselves. Quit making excuses for Radiohead. It sounds nothing like the greatness of The Bends, but it's good in it's own way and it obviously still appeals to people in a different way. I just don't enjoy it nearly as much. I enjoy a few songs off of HTTT, and that's a lot better than the none I enjoyed off of Amnesiac, so maybe they're heading in the right direction.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:44 AM   #13
love, blood, life
HTTT is just like the Bends? That's like saying my Mother and Girlfriend are the same person. Puke! Don't worry Crashed Car! Thomble has said Radiohead are about to become "unrecognizable" on their next records. They're going to delve deep into the world of Alabama bluegrass and delta blues, and fuse it w/ Johnny Greenwoods new rock obsession-the digery doo! But don't worry, there will be beeps, lots of beeps. They also are rumored to have discoved there is more than 1 human emotion, and may try and write, gosh! a HAPPY song.
"If you needed my autograph, I'd give it to you." Bob Dylan
Old 08-29-2003, 11:20 AM   #14
you are what you is
Local Time: 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
I ended up downloading 3 or 4. I have to say I thought they were pretty crap. No real reason, I'm not autistic, don't have ADD, don't have the attention span of an axolotl, I simply didn't like them.
change "pretty crap" into "did nothing to me" and you have my story
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-29-2003, 12:42 PM   #15
HTTT is a pop album lyrically but not musically. Radiohead was sad because the songs from their last two albuns werent often played on the radio (Kid A hasnt any single and what radio would play Pyramid Song? Its great but not a radio-friendly song AT ALL). So they made this album. But Radiohead still havent understood that their songs are TOO DEPRESSIVE. There There is one of the more depressive songs I have ever heard. Some of their compositions are too weird too.

Only now they realized it, so their new single is Go to Sleep, a great choice. Not beucase its the greatest song of HTTT, but cos its very radio friendly. Im sure their next single will be A Punchup At a Wedding, very pop.

Now they realized it, will they come down of the clouds of experimental music or will they change forever like Thom wants? Ive heard that Ed wants to rock.

I want Radiohead to rock.

EDIT: Im not saying I hate Radiohead. I like experimental music but Im just sick of this. There are ages I havent listened to HTTT.