Radiohead concert reviews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
~LadyLemon~ said:
Thanks for the excellent review!!!! I wish I could see them again....:|

Oh yeah, reading your review made me remember this. April and I noticed two old guys in the audience near us. Like as in 60s (at least)...we cracked up said that that would be us in 40 years....hehe. Keep on rockin'....:up:

I had completely forgotten about them! That was great, lol. :up:

Great reviews, guys!

DiGi said:
Mofo - sounds like you had an awesome show. How was My Iron Lung and Scatterbrain?

Iron Lung was really one of the highlights for me, they had a ton of energy on it. Sounded great.

I also enjoyed Scatterbrain more live than I ever had with the cd.

:up:

The String Quartet Tribute to Radiohead is pretty cool....i downloaded a bunch...interesting to hear a classical version of radiohead songs

DrMusk said:
The String Quartet Tribute to Radiohead is pretty cool....i downloaded a bunch...interesting to hear a classical version of radiohead songs

Christopher O'Riley's cd is better :up:

Hi all - just got back from the outdoor radiohead show in Vancouver. Man, they were so tight. The weather was great once again, as it was 2 years ago. The ocean breeze cooled us off just as the concert was beginning to get a little too hot. Highlights include 'Sail to the Moon' to the backdrop of a new moon against a purple sky...also, a flock of low-flying Canadian Geese swooping over the crowd in perfect V-formation during 'Heads on Sticks' (to which the crowd ecstatically roared...I wonder if Radiohead thought the cheers were for them?). Radiohead's music can turn the somewhat ordinary into the surreal. Another highlight was Michael Stipe of REM joining them onstage for a duet of 'Karma Police'. Very cool. They were in Vancouver for their opener the night before, and Thom joined REM on stage for E-Bow the letter. Every member of REM was at the show...a lot of celebs too. Many more highlights to mention, but I'm beat. Here's the setlist:

1. 2+2=5
2. Sit Down, Stand Up
3. Where I End And You Begin
4. Kid A
5. Backdrifts
6. Myxomatosis
7. Lucky
8. Paranoid Android
9. Sail to the Moon
10. You And Whose Army?
11. Go To Sleep
12. I Might Be Wrong
13. Like Spinning Plates
14. The Gloaming
15. Idioteque
16. No Surprises
17. There There

Encore 1:
18. The National Anthem
19. Wolf At The Door
20. Airbag
21. Street Spirit

Encore 2:
22. Karma Police
23. Just
24. Everything In Its Right Place

PS. Zoni - hope you got back alright. E-mail me.

Michael and Zoney, that sounds like a great show. I wish I could have gone to see them in both Vancouver and Seattle. I would have loved to hear airbag performed live.

Calluna's Review of Radiohead at the White River Amphitheater

Sorry this is a couple days late but I had a wonderfully busy holiday weekend and this is the first chance I have had to sit down and write a review. I'm feeling very lucky because I got to see two great shows in a row. On Sunday night I saw Radiohead at the White River Amphitheater and on Monday I saw REM at the Bumbershoot Festival in Seattle. I knew I would be tired at the end of it but I couldn't pass up this oppurtunity.

The White River Amphitheater is in a rural area outside of Auburn, Washington. It was a perfect summer day and the scenic drive set the mood for the evening to come with Mount Rainier looming large in front of us.

The arena itself was fairly intimate. I wasn't right up front but I still had a good view and my binoculars allowed me to get an even closer look. During Steve Malkmus and The Jicks set I had fun using my binoculars to watch the guitar tech for Radiohead tuning all the guitars on the side of the stage. I don't know how she manages to concentrate on guitar tuning when other music is being played at the same time. Between bands I watched the roadies set up Jonny's amazing synthesizer collection. He uses an i-book too.

It was an awesome show. My first time seeing Radiohead live. I was blown away by what an energetic live performance they put on. I got to witness Thom's mad dancing first hand and I have a newfound respect for Jonny's talented guitar playing. Now I really know why he is bear's hero.

Here is the setlist:

1. intro
2. There There
3. 2+2=5
4. Lucky
5. Myxomatosis
6. Where I End and You Begin
7. Backdrifts
8. Fake Plastic Trees
9. Paranoid Android
10. Sail to the Moon
11. You and Whose Army?
12. Dollars and Cents
13. Talk Show Host
14. Idioteque
15. Scatterbrain
16. The National Anthem
17. Exit Music (For a Film)
18. Sit Down Stand Up

Encore 1
1. We Suck Young Blood
2. A Punch up At a Wedding
3. Go to Sleep
4. How to Disappear Completely

Encore 2
1. No Surprises
2. Follow Me Around
3. Everything in its Right Place

Follow me Around was solo acoustic with Thom. That was very cool. Also I understand that Dollars and Cents hasn't been played live very often this time around. I particularly enjoyed Lucky and the way that Thom got all crazy for Myxamatosis. I got shivers at the end of Fake Plastic Trees when the whole crowd sang along. Sail to the Moon was absolutely beautiful. I went crazy during Sit Down Stand Up, jumping around and chanting "the raindrops, the raindrops, the raindrops..."

Once again, Thom hammed it up for the fish-eye cam during You and Whose Army. I've heard this is a regular feature of the show and it should be because it is so hilarious. It was a big hit. You and your cronies. You forget so easy.

Thom spoke about the WTO riots that happened here in Seattle a few years back. He called the police 'jack-booted fascists' and said it was 'war on the hippies' and spoke out against large corporations. He said that there was going to be another WTO coming up this September in Mexico, I believe. He said to expect more of the same. The police pushing everyone up against the wall and saying "This is how we like to do it."

During Everything In It's Right Place, Jonny and Ed were sitting on the ground and at first I thought they were just taking a break but then I got a closer look with the binoculars and realized they were playing KAOSS pads while sitting on the floor. Even after they exited the stage the samples continued in a loop on the pads.

It took us two hours to get out of the parking lot after the show. That was a bit excessive but it was still worth it.

Here are a couple of photos. I didn't take them but they are from my show:
IMG_0293.sized.jpg

Thom plays Follow Me Around solo:
IMG_0314.sized.jpg

Calluna - very cool review. Sounds like you guys got the better set list in some ways (ie, 'Fake Plastic Trees' :drool: I've always wanted to hear that live *jealous*).

Yes, Radiohead is unbelievably good, live, aren't they? On a technical level, no one can touch them. They are so professional. Each layer is so integral to their sound. They could have a 100 layers of music going at once, and each member has their role which they never waver from. Amazing really. Wasn't the drumming during 'There There' (by 3 members of the band) absolutely incredible? Each holding two sticks in each hand. Wow.

Thanks, Michael. But I'm not sure if we got the better setlist. You guys got such a great first encore with Airbag, Wolf at the Door and Street Spirit. It's a trade-off, really. I think the only way we could have been really happy is if we got to see both shows and since we were not crazy enough to try it I suppose we have to be satisfied with what we got and what we got was pretty damn good.

I agree of course that they are unbelievably good live. As usual, you said it best. And yes, There There was excellent with the drumming and all.

Calluna....
Talk Show Host :up:
I haven't seen that on too many of the set lists.

IT's funny...I was in the pit at the Alpine Valley show, and I couldn't find Jonny on the stage for Everything in its Right Place. IT wasn't until Ed and Jonny left the stage when I realized he was there the whole time...just on the floor like Ed was.

He was behind some "stuff" and out of my line of sight.

What a cool show closer.

Haha, that's funny Zoney. It took me a moment to find him too. I was like, "Where's Jonny?" Yes it was a great way to close the show.

Johnny is seriously a mad scientist. It was hilarious when he'd disappear from the naked eye view, only to be seen on screen on all fours, playing with some Eno-like contraption, doing things that didn' t even seem to jive with the sounds they were creating. I half expect him to be doing science experiments with test tubes and physics equations from now on whenever I look up.

I can't wait. Going to the Hollywood Bowl show Friday night and the San Diego show on Sunday. I'll post full reviews/setlists for both gigs as soon as I get my faculties together.

Hey HOS, since you've seen Radiohead so many times, why dont you give me some tickets??? :wink:

Good idea, yes? You've got ventriloquists.

I died & went to heaven.

Friday September 26, 2003 Hollywood Bowl, CA.

It hit me sometime during the end of Fake Plastic Trees. During the final breakdown, when Thom Yorke gently crooned ?If I could beeee. What you wanted. If I could beeee, what you wanted. All the tiiiime. All the tiiiime.? Here were Radiohead in the most jaded city in the world, playing to the most fickle fans around. And they had won over every single person in the 30,000 capacity Hollywood Bowl. Every voice singing along in unison with Thom. I looked around me. I saw people crying. Tears literally streaming down the rosy cheeks of the girl next to me. What we all witnessed was a flawless performance by, let?s face it folks: the best band in the world right now. No one can touch these guys. Everyone else is running to catch up with them at this point. Radiohead came to Los Angles; the dirtiest, darkest, most fucked up town in the world. And they played the most dirtiest, funkiest, darkest, most fucked up set possible. And it was sheer genius.

setlist:
01 2+2=5
02 sit down. stand up
03 where i end and you begin
04 kid a
05 backdrifts
06 morning bell
07 my iron lung
08 i might be wrong
09 creep
10 sail to the moon
11 nude (Acoustic/Partial Rendition)
12 paranoid android
13 a punchup at a wedding
14 go to sleep
15 the gloaming
16 idioteque
17 no surprises
18 there there

Encore #1:

19 you and whose army?
20 the national anthem
21 a wolf at the door
22 fake plastic trees

Encore #2:
23 airbag (Thom: ?this is for the chili peppers.?)
24 everything in its right place

I won?t go into detail for each song, but I will say that this was, hands down the best concert I?ve ever seen in my life.

The rest of the evening was, well surreal to say the least. We had a bungalow at the Chateau Marmont, where it turned out Radiohead?s after party was being held. We got in, and hung with a lot of crazy celebs: Justin Timberlake (sorry MVD. He?s such a wuss.) Cameron Diaz, Sean Lennon, Anthony Keidis, Bijou Phillips, Lucas Haas, Val Kilmer etc? But the highlight was?.
Meeting Thom Yorke. Yes folks, I got to meet my musical idol. I shook his hand, told him how amazing the show was, and thanked him and the band for making such beautiful music. Jonny waved at me and gave me the peace sign. That was so fucking cool.

Sunday September 28, 2003. Coor Ampitheater.

There was no way RH could top Friday night?s extravaganza, but they sure tried. And nearly did. An amazing set that included Just & Talkshow Host. I really don?t think it?s possible for these guys to play badly. The crowd went nuts during a little accapella ending of Karma Police. We sang so loud, Thom started jumping and waving. LOL.

setlist:
01 2+2=5
02 sit down. stand up
03 where i end and you begin
04 lucky
05 myxomatosis (thom- "this is a song about a manmade disease")
06 kid a (thom- "this is a song about lynching")
07 sail to the moon
08 talk show host
09 paranoid android
10 just
11 no surprises
12 go to sleep
13 scatterbrain (thom to person in the front "whos jenny? is that a death threat?")
14 you and whose army?
15 idioteque
16 the gloaming (Thom: ?this one?s for the children.?)
17 there there

Encore #1:
18 pyramid song
19 the national anthem
20 a punchup at a wedding (thom- 'whats the big deal? whats the big deal?)
21 how to disappear completely

Encore #2:
(thom- weve been in LA- did the hollywood thing, this is a song about that)
22 karma police (a capella -I lost myself, I lost myself)
23 everything in its right place

RADIOHEAD FOREVER!

wow

I have missed the tour of the decade, haven't I?

I think I love Radiohead right now as much as I ever loved U2 at the most intense period of my U2 lovin' days, circa Achtung Baby.

Did I really say that?

Yes I did.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

joyfulgirl said:
wow

I think I love Radiohead right now as much as I ever loved U2 at the most intense period of my U2 lovin' days, circa Achtung Baby.

I know the feeling.

I'm in that club, too, joyful. Radiohead is the best band in the world right now, hands down. And I love them so.

HOS, that sounds awesome. Or better than awesome. I'm glad you had such a fantastic time!

Excellent review! :up:

So glad you got to meet Thom. I'd like to hear more details about what he was like and stuff. What a weekend!

Yeah, it was an awesome experience to say the least.
Thom was...small. But he had very nice hands. Strong handshake. He seemed a little taken aback that someone would want to compliment him, but it was a relaxed atmosphere so he kinda rolled with it. His response to all my gushing: "Wicked. Thank you. Thank you. Wicked."

:lmao:

Back
Top Bottom