Profits from Edun, where do they go? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2006, 07:15 PM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lil'Bono
i mean does that guy not have enough fucking money without making more, he acts like he's mister charitable, but he's just as tight with money as other celebs are!! (If the profits do go to charity i apologise for my outburst!)

Old 01-07-2006, 07:22 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:53 AM
Most of the people here are assuming that the company is already profitable, after just a few months of being in the business. I guess that assumption is way off base.
If Edun ever gets profitable, then those profits will go to the owners. Who then decide what to do with it (buy a yacht or invest it further into the company, etc.).

Why should everything be a charity?

Old 01-07-2006, 08:13 PM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:53 AM
^
exactly. their prices are rediculous, which is why i ain't buying any edun shit... but if people will buy it, so be it.

and by the way, did you know that nude is edun backwards?

and ya know what else? bono is onob backwards. think about that one
Old 01-07-2006, 10:31 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Someone can be "Mr. Charitable" and still have a business...why not?

This is a demonstration that products of this quality can be made with respect to who makes the clothing as well as who buys it...maybe this will influence other designers to do the same.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:31 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
^
exactly. their prices are rediculous, which is why i ain't buying any edun shit... but if people will buy it, so be it.

and by the way, did you know that nude is edun backwards?

in CA, ali has a speed limit of 15.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:14 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue
This is a demonstration that products of this quality can be made with respect to who makes the clothing as well as who buys it...maybe this will influence other designers to do the same.
All it generally says to me is that:

"Unless you're rich and can afford to shop at Sak's Fifth Avenue, you can see why all you poor people have to exploit third-world labor to afford to clothe yourself."

But, seriously, maybe they should have done some research into ideological criticism, because the high prices, coupled with their "statement," are counterproductive.

Melon
Old 01-08-2006, 01:21 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

"Unless you're rich and can afford to shop at Sak's Fifth Avenue, you can see why all you poor people have to exploit third-world labor to afford to clothe yourself."

But, seriously, maybe they should have done some research into ideological criticism, because the high prices, coupled with their "statement," are counterproductive.

Melon
seriously.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:29 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Melon
It's supposed to be a higher-fashion line, not the simple "same old" clothes you can get at Old Navy or cheaper department stores. I suppose if they fired Rogan Gregory, they could make the clothes a lot cheaper, but after all, he's a fashion designer, and fashion designers don't come cheap. I've read a LOT on EDUN for my website (See sig) and I've never read anywhere that EDUN expects the average person to be buying their clothes:

Quote:
Bono, Hewson and Rogan all say they know the success of Edun is dependent on its being taken seriously as a serious fashion brand, which is why 10 percent of the materials and manufacturing is being done by true craftsmen in places such as Italy and France.
Quote:
Not Ali Hewson, founder of Edun. In fact, you could say her mission statement is to have the concept behind her new fashion label replicated the world over.

Hewson's goal is to build a business that makes beautiful clothing in developing countries, giving sustainable employment and providing trade potential.

“We want people to rip us off,” says Hewson of her business venture. “We are really trying to establish a business model with Edun.

“We want to prove that you can make a profit, while running a business in a responsible way.”
Quote:
Meanwhile, Rogan is not the typical designer. Rogan Gregory is a creator of street-smart fashions that are still somehow natural clothes -- high-end and high-concept pieces
Old 01-08-2006, 03:05 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

Old 01-08-2006, 04:03 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

I have to agree with Leis.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:15 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
I've read a LOT on EDUN for my website (See sig) and I've never read anywhere that EDUN expects the average person to be buying their clothes.
I'm sure that was their idea from the start. I'm just calling it a poorly executed idea. All it says, to me, is that if you want to end sweatshops, expect expensively priced clothing. In fact, all this does is *justify* why sweatshops exist.

Melon
Old 01-08-2006, 05:19 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:53 AM
Quote:

I'm sure that was their idea from the start. I'm just calling it a poorly executed idea. All it says, to me, is that if you want to end sweatshops, expect expensively priced clothing. In fact, all this does is *justify* why sweatshops exist.

Melon

That's true.

It still doesn't prove that reasonably priced (and I'm not talking about super bargin basement prices) clothing can be made at a profit without sweatshops, and it's too bad because I think that would really be something worth proving.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:45 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

It's a start. If nothing else, we can all agree it's a start in the right direction.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:47 AM   #29
War Child

Local Time: 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Look, dont get me wrong, i love Bono just as much as the rest of ya, but would he not even think of giving some of the money to his many charities. Maybe he does i dont know, i'm just going on what yer woman said to me in Brown Thomas, so dont jump down my throat, i am entitled to an opinion, people seem to forget that here sometimes!!!
Old 01-10-2006, 08:06 AM   #30
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lil'Bono

Look, dont get me wrong, i love Bono just as much as the rest of ya, but would he not even think of giving some of the money to his many charities. Maybe he does i dont know, i'm just going on what yer woman said to me in Brown Thomas, so dont jump down my throat, i am entitled to an opinion, people seem to forget that here sometimes!!!
First of all a rolling of the eyes is not "jumping down someone's throat".

Secondly, this is what you said:

Quote:
i mean does that guy not have enough fucking money without making more, he acts like he's mister charitable, but he's just as tight with money as other celebs are!!
I rolled my eyes because of the mentality that all charitable work is negated if the person is still making money themselves. That's a ridiculous notion, especially the way you expressed it. How can you fault the man for being a smart business man? I mean he's done more for certain causes than most others.

Plus the other big factor is that the business structure of a non-profit vs. a profit company are completely different and this type of company would probably never work under a non profit structure.

Who knows how much he gives privately?