Profits from Edun, where do they go? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-07-2006, 07:15 PM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,667
Local Time: 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lil'Bono
i mean does that guy not have enough fucking money without making more, he acts like he's mister charitable, but he's just as tight with money as other celebs are!! (If the profits do go to charity i apologise for my outburst!)
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 01-07-2006, 07:22 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Popmartijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 32,543
Local Time: 10:53 AM
Most of the people here are assuming that the company is already profitable, after just a few months of being in the business. I guess that assumption is way off base.
If Edun ever gets profitable, then those profits will go to the owners. Who then decide what to do with it (buy a yacht or invest it further into the company, etc.).

Why should everything be a charity?
__________________

__________________
Popmartijn is offline  
Old 01-07-2006, 08:13 PM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,400
Local Time: 04:53 AM
^
exactly. their prices are rediculous, which is why i ain't buying any edun shit... but if people will buy it, so be it.

and by the way, did you know that nude is edun backwards?

and ya know what else? bono is onob backwards. think about that one
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 01-07-2006, 10:31 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
 
starsgoblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Looking for direction to perfection
Posts: 17,828
Local Time: 04:53 AM
Someone can be "Mr. Charitable" and still have a business...why not?

This is a demonstration that products of this quality can be made with respect to who makes the clothing as well as who buys it...maybe this will influence other designers to do the same.
__________________
starsgoblue is offline  
Old 01-07-2006, 11:31 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Mr. BAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Life's too short to drink cheap wine!
Posts: 12,336
Local Time: 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
^
exactly. their prices are rediculous, which is why i ain't buying any edun shit... but if people will buy it, so be it.

and by the way, did you know that nude is edun backwards?

and ya know what else? bono is onob backwards. think about that one
in CA, ali has a speed limit of 15.
__________________
Mr. BAW is offline  
Old 01-08-2006, 01:14 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue
This is a demonstration that products of this quality can be made with respect to who makes the clothing as well as who buys it...maybe this will influence other designers to do the same.
All it generally says to me is that:

"Unless you're rich and can afford to shop at Sak's Fifth Avenue, you can see why all you poor people have to exploit third-world labor to afford to clothe yourself."

But, seriously, maybe they should have done some research into ideological criticism, because the high prices, coupled with their "statement," are counterproductive.

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 01-08-2006, 01:21 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
VertigoGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: I'm never alone (I'm alone all the time)
Posts: 9,860
Local Time: 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon


All it generally says to me is that:

"Unless you're rich and can afford to shop at Sak's Fifth Avenue, you can see why all you poor people have to exploit third-world labor to afford to clothe yourself."

But, seriously, maybe they should have done some research into ideological criticism, because the high prices, coupled with their "statement," are counterproductive.

Melon
seriously.
__________________
VertigoGal is offline  
Old 01-08-2006, 02:29 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon


All it generally says to me is that:

"Unless you're rich and can afford to shop at Sak's Fifth Avenue, you can see why all you poor people have to exploit third-world labor to afford to clothe yourself."

But, seriously, maybe they should have done some research into ideological criticism, because the high prices, coupled with their "statement," are counterproductive.

Melon
It's supposed to be a higher-fashion line, not the simple "same old" clothes you can get at Old Navy or cheaper department stores. I suppose if they fired Rogan Gregory, they could make the clothes a lot cheaper, but after all, he's a fashion designer, and fashion designers don't come cheap. I've read a LOT on EDUN for my website (See sig) and I've never read anywhere that EDUN expects the average person to be buying their clothes:

Quote:
Bono, Hewson and Rogan all say they know the success of Edun is dependent on its being taken seriously as a serious fashion brand, which is why 10 percent of the materials and manufacturing is being done by true craftsmen in places such as Italy and France.
Quote:
Not Ali Hewson, founder of Edun. In fact, you could say her mission statement is to have the concept behind her new fashion label replicated the world over.

Hewson's goal is to build a business that makes beautiful clothing in developing countries, giving sustainable employment and providing trade potential.

“We want people to rip us off,” says Hewson of her business venture. “We are really trying to establish a business model with Edun.

“We want to prove that you can make a profit, while running a business in a responsible way.”
Quote:
Meanwhile, Rogan is not the typical designer. Rogan Gregory is a creator of street-smart fashions that are still somehow natural clothes -- high-end and high-concept pieces
__________________
Liesje is offline  
Old 01-08-2006, 03:05 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

and ya know what else? bono is onob backwards. think about that one



__________________
indra is offline  
Old 01-08-2006, 04:03 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict
 
starsgoblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Looking for direction to perfection
Posts: 17,828
Local Time: 04:53 AM
I have to agree with Leis.
__________________
starsgoblue is offline  
Old 01-08-2006, 11:15 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
I've read a LOT on EDUN for my website (See sig) and I've never read anywhere that EDUN expects the average person to be buying their clothes.
I'm sure that was their idea from the start. I'm just calling it a poorly executed idea. All it says, to me, is that if you want to end sweatshops, expect expensively priced clothing. In fact, all this does is *justify* why sweatshops exist.

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 01-08-2006, 05:19 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon


I'm sure that was their idea from the start. I'm just calling it a poorly executed idea. All it says, to me, is that if you want to end sweatshops, expect expensively priced clothing. In fact, all this does is *justify* why sweatshops exist.

Melon

That's true.

It still doesn't prove that reasonably priced (and I'm not talking about super bargin basement prices) clothing can be made at a profit without sweatshops, and it's too bad because I think that would really be something worth proving.
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 01-08-2006, 05:45 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict
 
starsgoblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Looking for direction to perfection
Posts: 17,828
Local Time: 04:53 AM
It's a start. If nothing else, we can all agree it's a start in the right direction.
__________________
starsgoblue is offline  
Old 01-10-2006, 07:47 AM   #29
War Child
 
Lil'Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The shitty half of Ireland!!
Posts: 531
Local Time: 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar



Look, dont get me wrong, i love Bono just as much as the rest of ya, but would he not even think of giving some of the money to his many charities. Maybe he does i dont know, i'm just going on what yer woman said to me in Brown Thomas, so dont jump down my throat, i am entitled to an opinion, people seem to forget that here sometimes!!!
__________________
Lil'Bono is offline  
Old 01-10-2006, 08:06 AM   #30
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,667
Local Time: 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lil'Bono



Look, dont get me wrong, i love Bono just as much as the rest of ya, but would he not even think of giving some of the money to his many charities. Maybe he does i dont know, i'm just going on what yer woman said to me in Brown Thomas, so dont jump down my throat, i am entitled to an opinion, people seem to forget that here sometimes!!!
First of all a rolling of the eyes is not "jumping down someone's throat".

Secondly, this is what you said:

Quote:
i mean does that guy not have enough fucking money without making more, he acts like he's mister charitable, but he's just as tight with money as other celebs are!!
I rolled my eyes because of the mentality that all charitable work is negated if the person is still making money themselves. That's a ridiculous notion, especially the way you expressed it. How can you fault the man for being a smart business man? I mean he's done more for certain causes than most others.

Plus the other big factor is that the business structure of a non-profit vs. a profit company are completely different and this type of company would probably never work under a non profit structure.

Who knows how much he gives privately?
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com