Possible Writers Strike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's another article on how showrunners are also going on strike, even though they make lots of money, in solidarity with average writers. This is something the networks and studios hadn't forseen. It's hard to complete production on episodes when the showrunner (executive producer) isn't there:

http://tv.ign.com/articles/833/833604p1.html

Muldfeld said:
Carleton Cuse of "Lost"'s reason for the strike:
http://tv.ign.com/articles/833/833445p1.html

Cuse explained that when it came to the reasoning for the strike "The crux of the issue is that the studios don't want to pay writers residuals for new media. And everybody understands where movies and television are going. Internet is the new TV and that's going to be the primary distribution mechanism for films and television shows."

Cuse said he felt the networks and studios were "using a technological change to try to skip out on the legacy of residuals, which has been a way that people who create products like movies and TV shows are connected in an ongoing way financially to the work that they create that generates billions of dollars in revenue for the studios. Without the residual system, basically the 11,000 rank and file writers can't make it."

"Most writers don't work all the time," Cuse noted. "They go long periods between jobs. It's residual checks that allow them to exist between assignments. It's the same with actors. That's the crux of this issue. It's a real, working class basic, fundamental kind of issue for the rank and file members who need residuals to keep performing their craft. It was residuals from Golden Girls that allowed Marc Cherry between jobs to come up with Desperate Housewives, which had made a billion dollars for the Walt Disney company."

Turning back to his own show, Cuse noted "Lost is a great example of how new media has changed. Lost is a show which is a top ten show, but it doesn't repeat on network television. There are no network reruns. People watch it on DVDs, they watch it on their DVRs, they watch it streaming on ABC.com or they download it from iTunes. And none of those formats pay traditional residuals."

Sad:tsk: Why not give the writers the pay that they deserve. Especially when they write great shows like LOST.

By Gary Levin, USA TODAY
Networks are scrambling to make schedule changes amid the writers' strike, which is entering its fourth day and could affect the rest of the TV season.

Late Wednesday, Fox announced a winter schedule without 24, which will sit out the strike unless there's a fast resolution. But Fox is adding new reality series The Moment of Truth — which straps cash-seeking contestants to lie detectors — on Jan. 23, and When Women Rule the World, a Survivor-like setting in which women make all the decisions, March 3.

Current series including Prison Break, Back to You and House will conserve new episodes for early next year. (Prison takes a break after next week and returns Jan. 14.) But the changes aren't set in stone: "We would unscramble the egg if the strike ended tomorrow," says Fox program planning chief Preston Beckman.

Once the "sweeps" period ends Nov. 28, viewers will immediately see a much heavier load of pre-holiday repeats — which usually begin in mid-December — on all networks as they conserve fresh episodes for January.

Meanwhile, ABC shelved new drama Cashmere Mafia, which was to have premiered Nov. 27. But the network still plans to air an eight-episode half-season of Lost.

Most sitcoms have either shut down production or will do so by week's end. With a few exceptions, they have completed about 10 episodes apiece, including those already aired. They'll go into repeats by early December.

Dramas, many of which remain in production for the next few weeks, will have more completed episodes in hand, with up to 14 installments.

Among top series, Fox's House has six episodes left (one will follow the Super Bowl), but ABC has only three more episodes of Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives after this week, and both are now filming their last segments.

NBC will be forced to punch out of The Office after next week's episode after star Steve Carell, a Writers Guild member, refused to cross the picket line. Heroes ends Dec. 3, and the CSI trio expect to have four to six episodes each.

One conservation target: series on low-rated Fridays, where NBC's Friday Night Lights and Las Vegas are expected to be replaced so remaining episodes can be redeployed on other nights.

ABC will test out Women's Murder Club on Thursday next week. And Men in Trees, with five additional episodes left over from last season, will last through February.

Also look for midseason CBS comedies The New Adventures of Old Christine and newcomer The Captain to show up on Mondays in mid-January.

Elsewhere, networks are reaching for their stockpiles of game shows and other reality series, and will probably move or expand newsmagazines to fill empty slots.

CBS is gearing up for its first in-season cycle of Big Brother, which would start in February or March, three times a week. The network also ordered a 13th cycle of The Amazing Race, which had planned only one contest this season.

Cable networks will feel less pain from the TV writers' strike: Most rely on a heavier dose of movies and reruns for their schedules, and channels such as MTV and Bravo have a steady diet of unscripted reality series, most of which are unaffected.

Here's how some other networks will see an impact:

•Comedy Central. South Park's writers aren't members of the Writers Guild, so the show is unaffected by the strike. The Daily Show With Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report remain in repeats.

•HBO.The Wire, ready for its final season, and new weeknight drama series In Treatment have completed production and will air as scheduled starting in January. But Real Time With Bill Maher, which airs live, has canceled Friday's season finale, and two other series due later next year will suspend shooting.

•FX. Nip/Tuck will complete its current run of 14 episodes, but eight more due to begin shooting in January will be delayed. The second season of Dirt will be cut short.

•USA/Sci Fi. Monk and Psych are expected to run full seasons scheduled for January, but 12 additional installments of Law & Order: Criminal Intent, scheduled for March, are in jeopardy, as is the second half of Battlestar: Galactica's final season.

•TBS.Frank TV, a sketch-comedy series due later this month from Frank Caliendo (Mad TV), will be cut short and produce just four episodes.

Last edited:
I think that was because before she tried to make amends with tasty pizza, the strikers were peeved at her because she crossed the picket lines and reported to work, rather than supporting the writers for her show.

I might not have gotten that exactly right - I tend to skim most everything having to do with Eva Longoria. She bugs the snot out of me.

Turning back to his own show, Cuse noted "Lost is a great example of how new media has changed. Lost is a show which is a top ten show, but it doesn't repeat on network television. "

Huh, did he watch ABC last season on Wednesday nights? Lotsa Lost reruns!!

But kudos to the writers, I could care less if they cancel the rest of the season to get the compensation they deserve. The networks have made it easy to go long periods of time without new programs ala Lost, Prison Break, Battlestar Galactica,etc. They have also made it remarkably less painful to lose a show you like watching since they basically give new shows a one or two episode shot to be a hit or they yank it.

Down with the conglomeracy!! Viva la revolution!!!:mad:

"Lost" showrunner Carleton Cuse bails out on strike:

http://tv.ign.com/articles/835/835831p1.html

What a scab! There are showrunners whose shows aren't ratings successes and essentially face cancellation -- such great, brilliant writers as Ira Steven Behr and Ronald D. Moore -- and this showrunner of one of ABC's hits is feeling the pressure? What a sellout! I've always felt "Lost" was a lesser show than Star Trek DS9, BSG, and The 4400. Now, I know that at least one of the minds behind the show is lesser, too. By breaking rank he's showing the greedy, scumbag right-wing ABC/Disney that they can wear writers down.

How can they air episodes if production isn't finished? They can't. He's allowing ego and mass profits from a show that is sure to continue beyond the strike -- with millions for the head writers -- to interfere with the common interests of all writers, especially those who'll never make it to showrunner status. I'm very disappointed. I could understand if his show was unsuccessful and he was fearful of cancellation, but this behavior comes from a desire to get the highest ratings possible. It's not as though he can't fix the episodes once the strike is over -- that people won't buy DVD copies, that the show won't live on as a ratings success. I find Mr. Cuse's behavior problematic at best and unethical and damaging at worst for the strike.

Most of the re runs i could live with, but this is effecting Connan O Brien..Fuck I just want my show back:mad:

and this is going to effect the new upcoming season of entourage thats coming out in june...fuck me:|

MrsSpringsteen said:
I hope that's true, and that the writers get everything they deserve

Definitely. :up:

In one of the comments below that article, someone states that a survey taken shows that only 4% of people are on the side of the networks.

VintagePunk said:
In one of the comments below that article, someone states that a survey taken shows that only 4% of people are on the side of the networks.

Wow. Ouch. But hey, maybe this will be a wake-up call to the networks. Thanks for that link, that does sound promising-here's hoping it's true and everyone comes out happy in the end :up:.

Angela

Doesn't look too promising

ew.com

Talks between the striking Writers Guild of America and the Alliance of Motion Picture & Television Producers resume today (Dec. 4) after breaking last Thursday. Since then, each side has circulated statements indicating that there remain considerable differences between them. After talks broke off Thursday, the WGA distributed a memo to its members that argued that a new AMPTP proposal amounted to a ''massive rollback.'' ''Among the rumors [circulating about the talks] was the assertion that the AMPTP had a groundbreaking proposal that would make this negotiation a 'done deal,''' the statement read. ''In fact, for the first three days of this week, the companies presented in essence their November 4 package with not an iota of movement on any of the issues that matter to writers.''

The AMPTP responded in a letter on Friday that stated that an offer to increase writers compensation was ''in fact a very big 'roll' forward.'' ''With these improvements, writers remain among the highest paid employees in America,'' the letter said. However, the Alliance softened its stance in an ''Open Letter to the Entertainment Industry'' released today, which stated that the producers' proposal last week was ''not a 'take it or leave it' offer. It is designed to allow both sides to engage in the kind of substantive, give-and-take negotiation that can lead to common ground.''

Meanwhile, the networks are preparing for the strike to continue on into next year. Yesterday, CBS announced a new lineup for January and February, which includes the return of The New Adventures of Old Christine on Jan. 28 and a first-ever winter edition of Big Brother on Feb. 12.

The AP reports that the strike could cost CBS, ABC, and Fox a combined $300 million, according to a report from Alan Gould, senior analyst with New York-based Natixis Bleichroeder. The report did not include General Electric Co.-owned NBC.

U2democrat said:
:sad:

I want new late night comedy!!!!!!! :scream: I miss Jon...Stephen...Conan...:sad:
How about these from the above links?

I keep finding little gems. I had no idea how funny these guys were. Must be David Letterman's lousy delivery.

Why Writers Matter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkNCoBmwzxw

"THE LATESHOWWRITERSONSTRIKE.COM HOLIDAY PARTY

(FORMERLY LATESHOWWRITERSONSTRIKE.COM CHRISTMAS PARTY)

IS ON!!!!!

OH, IT'S ON.

WHEN: FRIDAY, DECEMBER 8
3 PM - 7 PM, OR UNTIL THEY KICK US OUT
WHERE: SONY ATRIUM, MADISON BETWEEN 54TH AND 55TH

PUT AN OFFER ON THE TABLE!
THE ONLY THING MORE DELICIOUS THAN THE FOOD YOU GENEROUSLY BRING WILL BE THE IRONY OF STRIKING WORKERS USHERING IN THE HOLIDAYS AT THE COMMERCIAL RENT AND HEATING EXPENSE OF A GIANT MEDIA CONGLOMERATE!....

ENJOY THE "VIRTUAL LATE SHOW WRITER INTERN EXPERIENCE" BY MAKING A REAL-LIFE COFFEE RUN TO THE SONY ATRIUM STARBUCKS, THEN WATCHING YOUR FAVORITE WRITER PAT HIS POCKETS LIKE HE LEFT HIS WALLET AT HOME."

--Bill Sheft

"This is Late Show writer Joe Grossman. (displays photo of harmless guy) He is a very nice, calm person. Wouldn't hurt a fly. I'm proud to say he is a friend of mine.

WGA/AMPTP, if this strike doesn't end soon, I'm going to beat the living shit out of him. Beat him with my hands. Beat him with a bat. Beat him with crowbar.

It's up to you WGA/AMPTP. Joe's life is in your hands."
-- Justin Stangel, head writer

"George W. Bush Joke Of The Day
BY TOM RUPRECHT

Because of the writers' strike, many of you are hungry for some political humor. I thought I'd help fill the void by giving you an excerpt from my book "George W. Bush: An Unauthorized Oral History." Here's today's joke:

I'll never forget the first time I held George after he was born. I looked into his eyes and he was so lost, so helpless. I still see that same look whenever he talks about Iraq. (Laughs) Suck on that, bitch!--
George H. W. Bush, Former President"

:lol:

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Two of Hollywood's most glamorous events are now caught up in the entertainment industry's ugliest labor dispute in two decades.

The Writers Guild of America, West, will not allow its members to write for the Golden Globes on January 13 nor the Academy Awards on February 24.

The group's board of directors decided not to give the academy an interim agreement for writing services, a person close to the guild said Monday, speaking on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to comment. The person declined to say when the decision had been made.

The guild's decision raised the temperature in the already heated contract dispute between writers and studios. Talks aimed at ending the costly strike, now in its seventh week, broke down December 7 in a flurry of insults that has yet to cease.

After talks ended, the alliance claimed guild leaders were trying to increase their power at the expense of members. Union leaders accused the alliance of "lies" aimed at sowing doubt and dissension in union ranks.

Now the guild is casting the strike shadow over the Oscars, the industry's key showcase for its finest films and hottest actors. The Golden Globes represent another important promotional vehicle.

The guild made a similar move before the 1988 Oscars when writers last walked out on studios. That strike lasted five months.

With the strike drawing support from the Screen Actors Guild, which faces its own contract negotiations next year, actors' participation as Oscar guests and presenters might be affected -- diminishing the star power that drives TV viewership.

Jon Stewart, a writers guild member, was announced as host of this year's Academy Awards, but he has honored the strike: His "The Daily Show" on Comedy Central has been in reruns since the walkout began.

An e-mail sent to Stewart's publicist seeking comment was not immediately returned Monday night.

Several Golden Globe nominees said last week that they hoped to attend the ceremony but might not if the strike remains unresolved.

The guild released a letter on Monday rejecting the request from the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, which awards the Golden Globes. The letter said that granting a waiver "would not advance" the guild's ongoing battle with studios to negotiate a new contract.

In a separate letter to Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences also released Monday, the guild denied the use of clips from movies and past awards programs that could be shown during the award show in February.

The academy had made its standard, annual request for clip use to the writers guild and other relevant industry guilds that must grant approval, spokeswoman Leslie Unger said.

"The academy has not requested any strike-related waiver from the writers guild related to the awards show," she said.

In a statement, the Globe organization expressed measured unhappiness.

"The Golden Globe Awards, which has a long and friendly relationship with the Writers Guild of America, is obviously disappointed that the WGA denied its request for a waiver," the statement.

The strike has shut down production on many TV series, had a growing effect on movie production and idled many industry workers. Networks have seen ratings slip as shows fall into reruns, jeopardizing advertising revenues.

The guild and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers are wrangling over compensation for burgeoning digital media.

NBC was able to crow about the end of late-night reruns Monday, announcing that "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" and "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" would return in January with new shows, although without writers.

Letterman Reaches Deal With WGA
'Late Show' to Return With Writers

Reuters/AOL
Posted: 2007-12-28 18:55:22
Filed Under: TV News
LOS ANGELES (Dec. 28) - Late-night TV comedian David Letterman has reached a deal with the Writers Guild of America, the union representing striking screenwriters, that will let his show return to the air next week with his writing staff, the union said Friday.

Under the pact reached by Letterman's WorldWide Pants production company and the WGA, the "Late, Late Show With Craig Ferguson" will also begin air fresh episodes next week, with full support of its writers.

full story: http://news.aol.com/entertainment/t...an-reaches-deal-with-wga/20071228173509990001

Last edited:
Lila64 said:
Letterman Reaches Deal With WGA
'Late Show' to Return With Writers

Reuters/AOL
Posted: 2007-12-28 18:55:22
Filed Under: TV News
LOS ANGELES (Dec. 28) - Late-night TV comedian David Letterman has reached a deal with the Writers Guild of America, the union representing striking screenwriters, that will let his show return to the air next week with his writing staff, the union said Friday.

Under the pact reached by Letterman's WorldWide Pants production company and the WGA, the "Late, Late Show With Craig Ferguson" will also begin air fresh episodes next week, with full support of its writers.

full story: http://news.aol.com/entertainment/t...an-reaches-deal-with-wga/20071228173509990001

Well, that's something. I was on the verge of downgrading my cable until the strike was over. TV has been dreadful these past weeks. You'd think HBO would at least be running good movies (and I guess some of them are good, I've just seen everything already, it seems).

Back
Top Bottom