Pink Floyd Survivor: The Final Cut - Round 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote for your LEAST favourite song!

• The Post-War Dream

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Your Possible Pasts

• One of the Few

• The Hero's Return

• The Gunner's Dream

• Paranoid Eyes

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • The Fletcher Memorial Home

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Southampton Dock

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • The Final Cut

• Not Now John

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Two Suns in the Sunset

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cobl04

45:33
Get Your Filthy Hands off My Desert! Really does itself there.

Votes
Get Your Filthy Hands off My Desert - 5
Paranoid Eyes - 4
The Final Cut - 2
Not Now John - 1
Total votes - 12

Songs eliminated so far:
90. Get Your Filthy Hands off My Desert
89. Hey You
88. Run Like Hell
87. Another Brick in the Wall, pt. 2
86. Mother
85. In the Flesh
84. Goodbye Blue Sky
83. In the Flesh?
82. Nobody Home
81. Another Brick in the Wall, pt. 1
=77. Is There Anybody Out There
=77. The Happiest Days of Our Lives
=77. One of My Turns
=77. Waiting for the Worms
=75. Young Lust
=75. Another Brick in the Wall, pt. 3
=75. The Thin Ice
=73. Don't Leave Me Now
=73. Empty Spaces
72. The Show Must Go On
71. Vera
=69. Bring the Boys Back Home
=69. Goodbye Cruel World
68. Outside the Wall
67. The Trial
66. Stop
65. Sheep
64. Pigs (Three Different Ones)
63. Pigs on the Wing 1
62. Pigs on the Wing 2
61. Shine on You Crazy Diamond (Parts I - V)
60. Shine on You Crazy Diamond (Parts VI - IX)
59. Have a Cigar
58. Welcome to the Machine
57. Us and Them
56. Brain Damage
=54. Eclipse
=54. Speak to Me/Breathe
=52. Money
=52. Great Gig in the Sky
51. Any Colour You Like
50. On the Run
49. Wots... uh the Deal
48. Burning Bridges
=46. Childhood's End
=46. Obscured by Clouds
45. Stay
=43. The Gold it's in the...
=43. Mudmen
42. When You're In
41. Absolutely Curtains
40. Fearless
41. One of These Days
39. A Pillow of Winds
38. San Tropez
37. Seamus
36. Fat Old Sun
35. If
34. Atom Heart Mother Suite
33. Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast
32. The Narrow Way
31. Grantchester Meadows
30. Sysyphus
29. The Grand Vizier's Garden Party
28. Green is the Colour
27. The Nile Song
26. Ibiza Bar
25. Cirrus Minor
24. Crying Song
=22. Main Theme
=22. Dramatic Theme
21. Up the Khyber
=18. More Blues
=18. A Spanish Piece
=18. Quicksilver
17. Party Sequence
16. Let There Be More Light
15. Jugband Blues
14. Remember a Day
13. A Saucerful of Secrets
12. Corporal Clegg
11. See-Saw
10. Astronomy Domine
9. Interstellar Overdrive
8. Flaming
7. Matilda Mother
=2. Take up Thy Stethoscope and Walk
=2. The Gnome
=2. Chapter 24
=2. The Scarecrow
=2. Bike
1. Pow R. Toc H.

bono_man2002 said:
Really not sure what to vote for here.....

Nor am I. Maybe I should play the album and see if it's any less shit than I remember it as being.

:yippie: AXVER :yippie: Thank Goodness for Red Rocks Edge's return !! :bow:

Originally posted by Axver
Nor am I. Maybe I should play the album and see if it's any less shit than I remember it as being.

Completely agree. Couldn't this album just be eliminated all together ?? :shrug:

MsMofoGone said:
:yippie: AXVER :yippie: Thank Goodness for Red Rocks Edge's return !! :bow:

:lol: People keep saying they miss it and it's been over a year since I intended to withdraw U2 NZ, so I figured it was about time to finally get off my arse and make the change. I prefer this avatar anyway. So why the hell did I take so long to revert back to it? Who knows ....

MsMofoGone said:

Somebody's got some explaining to do !! Exactly what is so-ooo GREAT about this album ?? :hmm:

Lyrically it is fantastic! It's been said so many times before I know, but it really is more of a Roger Waters solo record. Each track flows beautifully into the next (even Paranoid Eyes I guess!)
The Gunner's Dream and The Final Cut are the standout tracks for me. Southampton Dock and Fletcher Memorial are excellent too.

Give it a listen again Axver and MsMofo - and see if you feel any different.

:up:

MsMofoGone said:

Somebody's got some explaining to do !! Exactly what is so-ooo GREAT about this album ?? :hmm:

The lyrics...the lyrics :drool:

and the album has the best flow since DSOFTM ...each song segues into one another beautifully :drool: :drool:

Jesus...Jesus...whats it all about? :drool: :drool: :drool:

And hold on to the dream ...bitches :love:

Paranoid Eyes again. Next to go will be Not Now John. I don't mind the song itself so much, but it breaks up the flow between The Final Cut and Two Suns In The Sunset. Plus, it's cock rock; as Liam has said before, the Floyd don't do cock rock well. Young Lust is the perfect example of this, with NNJ not far behind.

And this is a brilliant album, as far as I'm concerned. In fact, my second favourite Pink Floyd album. If you're not a lyrics person, you'll probably appreciate it less. And if you're looking for catchy riffs, you certainly won't find them here. Dynamics-wise, things are crazy though. The quiet menace of One Of The Few into the desperate rage of The Hero's Return...:love: it gives me chills every time. (Not talking about the 2004 remaster here - go away, Tigers!)

"The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in gives way, and suddenly, it's day again. The sun is in the east, even though the day is done. Two suns in the sunset...could be the human race is run."

Genius.

I'm a lyrics person. I don't like The Final Cut's lyrics tremendously much. Now I'm not saying they're bad, and it's clear there's thought in them, but there are some forced rhymes that really make me cringe.

Plus the album needs more (or, well, any) David Gilmour. Desperately.

Axver said:
I'm a lyrics person. I don't like The Final Cut's lyrics tremendously much. Now I'm not saying they're bad, and it's clear there's thought in them, but there are some forced rhymes that really make me cringe.

Plus the album needs more (or, well, any) David Gilmour. Desperately.

It's subjective, I suppose. I wouldn't change a single lyric on this album. And Gilmour's influence is all over the show. :shrug: Some of his best and most-moving solos are featured here. True, I guess he could have sung a bit more. I just don't think his voice would have suited the lyrics all that well. Even when he does sing, he's basically singing in Roger's style anyway.

To me, The Final Cut might as well be a Waters solo album. It doesn't feel like a full Pink Floyd album, hence my Gilmour comment.

As for the lyrics, here's an example of a line that I really don't like:

Tell me true, tell me why was Jesus crucified
Was it for this that Daddy died?
Was it you? Was it me?
Did I watch too much T.V.?

... seriously, what?

Axver said:
To me, The Final Cut might as well be a Waters solo album. It doesn't feel like a full Pink Floyd album, hence my Gilmour comment.

Was it you? Was it me?

... seriously, what?

True, the TV line doesn't make too much sense in context. You could say it's an example of all the absurd reasons one could come up with to explain why war happens in the first place...at a stretch. :wink: Even so, that's only one not-so-great-line in an album full of great lines.

GibsonGirl said:
Paranoid Eyes again. Next to go will be Not Now John. I don't mind the song itself so much, but it breaks up the flow between The Final Cut and Two Suns In The Sunset. Plus, it's cock rock; as Liam has said before, the Floyd don't do cock rock well. Young Lust is the perfect example of this, with NNJ not far behind.

And this is a brilliant album, as far as I'm concerned. In fact, my second favourite Pink Floyd album. If you're not a lyrics person, you'll probably appreciate it less. And if you're looking for catchy riffs, you certainly won't find them here. Dynamics-wise, things are crazy though. The quiet menace of One Of The Few into the desperate rage of The Hero's Return...:love: it gives me chills every time. (Not talking about the 2004 remaster here - go away, Tigers!)

"The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in gives way, and suddenly, it's day again. The sun is in the east, even though the day is done. Two suns in the sunset...could be the human race is run."

Genius.

paranoid eyes pwns GG :tsk:

xaviMF22 said:

paranoid eyes pwns GG :tsk:

I love the song, don't get me wrong! I love all the songs on this album (yes, even GYFHOMD - it's a funny little song) with the exception of Not Now John. This is just one of those weeks where Paranoid Eyes is not doing very much for me.

MsMofoGone said:

I like to think of albums as having color. Roger Waters albums, and let's face it this basically a solo album, are in black & white. They are like a documentary into the human pysche. Deep down we aren't beautiful and colorful. We are alone and longing. The human call is one of sorrow and loneliness. It was William James who said we are social animals. The Final Cut is an animal without color trying to get through to someone. That longing and need for human contact is what makes this album have a soul and life. While you listen to the album you can feel that flame slow down to nothing. That is a beautiful and unique experience. That's what makes the album great.

GibsonGirl said:
True, the TV line doesn't make too much sense in context. You could say it's an example of all the absurd reasons one could come up with to explain why war happens in the first place...at a stretch. :wink: Even so, that's only one not-so-great-line in an album full of great lines.

The big problem is that those lyrics open the album. As soon as I heard that yesterday, it made me feel negatively about what was to come.

I got bored and gave up after four songs.

Skip ahead to the title cut and listen to that one again.

My top 3 on this album are The Gunner's Dream, The Fletcher Memorial Home, and The Final Cut. And yes, it's no coincidence that all three feature a prominent Gilmour solo.

Axver said:

Was it you? Was it me?

... seriously, what?

True. But the final few lines make up for it.

"Should we shooooooooout, should we screeeeeeeam
'What happened to the post war dream?'
Oh Maggie, Maggie what did you do?"

Classic Waters delivery :up:

True. But the final few lines make up for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom