Penistone, South Yorkshire Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, yeah, living with other people would certainly make a difference. When I lived in Brisbane with a flatmate, I didn't play quite so much music. Now that I live by myself, music is often the substitute for talking to somebody while doing boring chores or cooking dinner if nothing's on TV or whatever.

And I still live with my parents, so speakers don't get much use. Headphones sure do though. I've gone through so many pairs. :angry:

BTW, Ax, can you guess where my new avatar is from? :wink:

Hey, man, to each their own, of course.....I cannot imagine my life without music, film, sports and books. I can do without any of the first three for a few days at a time (I can never not read), but, could not imagine a long-term absence of any of them.

I am sure you would be horrified to learn the only movie I actually saw at a cinema in 2006 is Snakes On A Plane. I needed something to laugh at.

And, don't worry, I thought it was a shit movie and knew it would be a shit movie. Second worst movie I've ever seen, Unbreakable being the absolute worst.

I'm now tempted to see The Happening just because everybody's crapping all over it.

Did you think it was too slow?

Maybe. I'm not sure. I will say that the first time, I was sorta not paying as much attention as I should've been so I take the blame for that one at first. But then the second time I turned everything off, moved the DVD over to the tv, and forced myself to sit down and watch it, but an hour later I found myself back on the comp, so yeah, I probably found it a tad slow.

Maybe. I'm not sure. I will say that the first time, I was sorta not paying as much attention as I should've been so I take the blame for that one at first. But then the second time I turned everything off, moved the DVD over to the tv, and forced myself to sit down and watch it, but an hour later I found myself back on the comp, so yeah, I probably found it a tad slow.

I think it's slow, too, but like The Godfather or 2001, it's too technically brilliant and there are too many amazing performances to override that, to me at least. It's Harrison Ford's best non-Han Solo/Indiana Jones role, that's for damn sure.

I think it's slow, too, but like The Godfather or 2001, it's too technically brilliant and there are too many amazing performances to override that, to me at least. It's Harrison Ford's best non-Han Solo/Indiana Jones role, that's for damn sure.

I'll say this, I wouldn't be surprised if, opportunity presenting itself, I were to purchase whatever super-special edition of the film I could find, I'm just like that. I can tell it's a good movie.

That may be the reason why I went out and bought 2001, even though, I'm quite vocal about my dislike for the film.

Ashley, have you ever seen a film you deemed to be "slow", but enjoyed anyway?

I'm wondering if the use of slow here is as defined in the dictionary, or a pejorative term.

Ashley, have you ever seen a film you deemed to be "slow", but enjoyed anyway?

I'm wondering if the use of slow here is as defined in the dictionary, or a pejorative term.

Ugh, I just watched one the other day, but I can't remember what it was...
elmel and I were talking about being slow, but I really liked that about it.

Ugh, I just watched one the other day, but I can't remember what it was...
elmel and I were talking about being slow, but I really liked that about it.

There are movies that are "slow" that I enjoy. I do not use "slow" to replace "boring" like others do. So, something like Empire Strikes Back, that's the opposite of slow. But, something like 2001....that's slow, but, I loved it anyway. Oh, and, I like when films give me something to think about. Even if a concept or two goes over my head, I enjoy that.

I'll say this, I wouldn't be surprised if, opportunity presenting itself, I were to purchase whatever super-special edition of the film I could find, I'm just like that. I can tell it's a good movie.

That may be the reason why I went out and bought 2001, even though, I'm quite vocal about my dislike for the film.

I'm holding out on buying 2001 to get that nifty new Kubrick box set. That's on my Christmas list along with the Woody box set. Don't have the $$$ now to get it.

There are movies that are "slow" that I enjoy. I do not use "slow" to replace "boring" like others do. So, something like Empire Strikes Back, that's the opposite of slow. But, something like 2001....that's slow, but, I loved it anyway. Oh, and, I like when films give me something to think about. Even if a concept or two goes over my head, I enjoy that.
same here. to me, if a movie is slow, it just means it didn't move fast. there are bad slow movies and good ones. there's bad fast movies and good ones. the speed doesn't matter to me as much as the movie as a whole. sometimes movies take a while to build up, and that's okay.

I do not believe slow = boring at all, even if sometimes "slow" films have a tendency to be so.

I'm ticking through the list of movies I've rented in the last week, trying to remember what the one elmel and I were talking about was, it's driving me nuts.
M, Marathon Man, The Bucket List, Batman, Crossing Guard, Ronin, Sweeney Todd (wow what a disappointment), more, and I just can't remember

I do not believe slow = boring at all, even if sometimes "slow" films have a tendency to be so.

I'm ticking through the list of movies I've rented in the last week, trying to remember what the one elmel and I were talking about was, it's driving me nuts.
M, Marathon Man, The Bucket List, Batman, Crossing Guard, Ronin, Sweeney Todd (wow what a disappointment), more, and I just can't remember

I'm just trying to get a handle for what slow means to you.

I don't find slow films to be any more or less boring than faster ones. Indy IV bored me, so did the 3rd Matrix film, and neither was slow.

I don't find slow films to be any more or less boring than faster ones. Indy IV bored me, so did the 3rd Matrix film, and neither was slow.

Slow to me is a lack of both action and dialogue. Though sometimes I find a movie with a lot of action slow, and the same for those with a lot of dialogue.

I thought Donnie Darko was slow, because of all the dialogue, but I loved the movie.

I think most action movies are slow because of too much action, and usually end up not liking these movies the most.

Whatever the movie I' mthinking of was, it was something LMP told me to rent

I think the word you guys are looking for is "tedious". That describes Indy IV quite well.

OK folks, I'm out. Want to polish off my university work in one hit rather than in dribs and drabs over the evening. See you all in a bit. :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom