Outkast's comment regarding U2 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2002, 02:49 PM   #16
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
So they're basically a two-man group, in the fine tradition of Hall & Oates, Wham, and Savage Garden.

(Kidding, of course.)
are you trying to imply that hall and oates, wham, and savage garden are not good musicians?

Old 02-28-2002, 03:51 AM   #17
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:01 AM
When I picture "at the end of their rope", I picture steadily decreasing album sales, low concert attendance, etc, etc.

All U2 has done in the last 18 months or so is put out a commercially AND critically successful album, and put on one of the most lucrative tours in history.

That doesn't sound like a band at the end of their rope.

They'll win album of the year on it's own merit.

Old 03-02-2002, 12:00 AM   #18
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun

Local Time: 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
MBH:

Not to nitpick, but Outkast is a "they," not a "he." Specifically, Outkast is two hip-hoppers, Dre 3000 and Big Boi.
Hahaha.. Seriously.. I'd also include the other 30 names they each Have.. Daddy Phat Sac being one of them...

Anywayz, I know this is a Stankonia vs ATYCLB Thread, but I think that debate has had it's day.. But if you really want to hear the best of Outkast, You've gotta pick up their first album... 'Southernplayalistic..'

It's mos defly their best work.

L.Unplugged

Old 03-02-2002, 01:25 AM   #19
Acrobat

regardless of Outkast's comments,

I think Outkast should have won. Well, I think PJ Harvey should have won, but she wasn't nominated.

U2's album was good, but OUTKAST was better. I think U2 won because of sentamentalism(however it's spelled). It's the same reason Clapton won over Achtung Baby when AB was far and away the better album. And since the grammys don't mean anything anyways, I really don't care.

------------------

Same Old Story
Old 03-03-2002, 11:13 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:01 AM
*ahem*

Consider the source.

------------------
*Proud owner, maker, and baker of THE U2 cookies*
Old 03-03-2002, 02:03 PM   #21
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:01 AM
Well after their grammy performance *the guy wearing a pink jumpsuit lookin' dress and a silk ladies shirt* I'd have to assume that any artist that goes to those extremes to be womanly is at the end of their rope. And my Outkast seems to have been at the end of their rope from the very beginning in this case.

------------------
I will sing, sing a new song.
How long to sing this song?

Fengche@aol.com

[This message has been edited by PrincessBadgirl (edited 03-03-2002).]
Old 03-03-2002, 04:34 PM   #22
The Fly

Local Time: 07:01 AM
lol, Princess Badgirl...
OutKast at the end of their rope???

They are only the most creative and freshest-sounding act to come out of hip-hop in the past 5 years. Theyve advanced the genre leaps and bounds, and Stankonia is considered by many to be an instant classic.

In addition, that remark is funny, since if you took into consideration the Macphisto character of ZooTV. Were U2 at the end of their rope then?
Old 03-03-2002, 11:30 PM   #23
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by UCLAforU2:
lol, Princess Badgirl...
OutKast at the end of their rope???

They are only the most creative and freshest-sounding act to come out of hip-hop in the past 5 years. Theyve advanced the genre leaps and bounds, and Stankonia is considered by many to be an instant classic.

In addition, that remark is funny, since if you took into consideration the Macphisto character of ZooTV. Were U2 at the end of their rope then?
I dunno maybe they were but that was an act I have a feelin' this guy isn't acting and if he is what's the name of these characters he's pulling out of a hat?? ... but that still doesn't make outkast any more innocent in this case- they're still a new act so talking stuff about veterans in the music biz doesn't make them appear any smarter than the average fast talkers no matter if their album is classic stuff or not. Why don't they say things like that about other artists like rappers? ... I bet they think twice.

I'm just tired of people jumping on U2 about things that really don't concern them. Seems like the most unsuspecting of artists have things to say about U2- who's next Vanilla Ice talking about how Bono's old now???

------------------
I will sing, sing a new song.
How long to sing this song?

Fengche@aol.com

[This message has been edited by PrincessBadgirl (edited 03-03-2002).]
Old 03-04-2002, 12:28 AM   #24
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun

Quote:
Originally posted by PrincessBadgirl:
but that still doesn't make outkast any more innocent in this case- they're still a new act so talking stuff about veterans in the music biz doesn't make them appear any smarter than the average fast talkers no matter if their album is classic stuff or not.
Uhh... Outkast.. 'A New Act'?... 'In the Past 5 Years'... *SigH*.. Outkast has been hot in the Hip Hop world since 1994, and no .. this is not just the underground Hip Hop world.. Mainstream.. and they've been big since 1995 with ATLiens.. But these guys are not 'new' in any sense of the word.. I bet you think Rosa Parks came from their First album... Rephrased... Rosa Parks was from their first album.. Actually it was their Third Album.. and Stankonia was their Fourth..

They can talk if they want to.. Anyways, I'd check their first two albums out as you've apparently been lost to their existence.. They're the classic stuff that Stankonia and Gasoline Dreams was built off of.

If all you know of them is Rosa Parks, and Mrs. Jackson, and you like those.. You've got soo many surprises.. It's like a U2 Fan sitting on the Pop album and saying 'OMG this is Great' having no idea of the revolutionary shit that is there waiting from U2.

L.Unplugged
Old 03-04-2002, 12:57 AM   #25
The Fly

Local Time: 07:01 AM
lol lemonite, sorry, i still have issues counting my years since 2000, your right, its more than 5 years. Im an ass Actually, I own everything back to Southernplayalisticcadilacmusic (phenomenal debut album), so its not that i dont know how old they are

[This message has been edited by UCLAforU2 (edited 03-03-2002).]
Old 03-04-2002, 12:58 AM   #26
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemonite:
Uhh... Outkast.. 'A New Act'?... 'In the Past 5 Years'... *SigH*.. Outkast has been hot in the Hip Hop world since 1994, and no .. this is not just the underground Hip Hop world.. Mainstream.. and they've been big since 1995 with ATLiens.. But these guys are not 'new' in any sense of the word.. I bet you think Rosa Parks came from their First album... Rephrased... Rosa Parks was from their first album.. Actually it was their Third Album.. and Stankonia was their Fourth..

They can talk if they want to.. Anyways, I'd check their first two albums out as you've apparently been lost to their existence.. They're the classic stuff that Stankonia and Gasoline Dreams was built off of.

If all you know of them is Rosa Parks, and Mrs. Jackson, and you like those.. You've got soo many surprises.. It's like a U2 Fan sitting on the Pop album and saying 'OMG this is Great' having no idea of the revolutionary shit that is there waiting from U2.

L.Unplugged
Exacto-mundo. You said it perfectly, and I liked your Pop analogy - it puts it all in perspective...