Ours - Distorted Lullabies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teehee

Refugee
The first time I heard of this group, Ours, was when a U2 fan with a stupid sense of humour decided to upload an mp3 on the net as a fragment of a new stolen song by U2. To be honest, this group sounds pretty much the same as them and many fans thought that it was actually new material by the band, but of course, it was just a joke.

Anyway, I really liked that fragment and thought that band may be interesting so I downloaded some songs (it's hard to find anything by Ours here in Spain, they aren't very known). I loved some of them and I managed to get this album, Distorted Lullabies, and I like it very much. I love Jimmy Gnecco's voice (maybe because his way of singing reminds me of Bono's...) and some or their songs are really powerful and emotive (Fallen Souls becomes overwhelming towards the end).

I can't stop listening to this album right now, have you listened to any of their other albums? I think they have one or two more.. I don't know much about their discography :huh:

'Distorted Lullabies' is good, but I still think their second album, 'Precious' is better. Both have some great songs on them though. I think I saw that he and someone else collaborated on a song on the Spider Man 2 soundtrack, I havent heard it.

I guess I can see some reasons why people would related them to U2, but I dont really think they're that much like them. I think they have a far harder sound and more goth-esque imagery than U2. I dont know, I guess I never listen to music and think, "Who does this sound like?"

the song on the spiderman 2 soundtrack was the song you heard when the credits started rolling.

supposedly they're pretty big u2 fans. :shrug:

i'm not really a big fan.

It was a collaboration with Brian May of Queen.

I've been a big fan of Ours since they started. I've seen them about 5 times, they put on a great live show. Jimmy is probably one of the coolest down to earth musicians I've met. He always stays after the show and talks with fans. Some friends of mine had a chance to take him out for a few drinks once...he seemed genuenely appreciative.

They'll go into the studio soon, apparantly they are waiting for Rick Rubin to finish up the project he's working on now. Until then they just posted dates for a small tour.

I have 'distorted lullabies,' and if you like that, you should check out the band "Vast." They're kind of in the same vein.

I like dramatic music, but I can't listen to it all the time. When I'm in the right mood, though, I like Ours a lot.

Mm.. I've never heard of Vast but I'll make a note of it and try to find anything about them. Any album recommendation?

I've also been told about some group called The Tea Party... never heard of them either, I may check them out too :D

I think Precious is too overwhelming sometimes. He tries to do the crazy voice thing too much and it often becomes annoying, where as on Distorted Lullabies he tempers his voice, uses it for good ;)
Some songs on Precious also have faulty structures.
But don't get me wrong, there are still 5 or 6 really really good tracks.

VAST is not a whole lot like Ours though. Maybe in some ways...but VAST is more industrial rock where Ours is pretty straight-forward rock music with often dreary lyrics.

The album i have anyway, Video Audio Sensory Theatre. I would recommend getting that one. There is gregorian chanting and choirs and it is pretty good.
I have heard the other albums are different than this one. That he forsakes his industrial sound. so maybe those sound like Ours

Back
Top Bottom