Our Lady Peace fans...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dorian Gray

Refugee
What did everyone think of Gravity?

I know alot of people felt that they "sold out" with that record, but I tend to disagree. I've always thought of it as a bit of a change in musical direction, but nothing more. Raine wrote some solid lyrics, and there were some great melodies on there. Not as 'alternative' sounding as their previous efforts, but great rock nontheless.
Any one agree/disagree?

i thought that they just got boring. i liked them, and suddenly one day i was mistaking them for nickelback :down:

IWasBored said:
i thought that they just got boring. i liked them, and suddenly one day i was mistaking them for nickelback :down:

ouch...

I can understand how one could think that after hearing "Somewhere Out There."

speaking of which, is it just me, or are there a couple U2 lyric references in that song? :hmm:

then again, I might just be reading a little too far into it...

IWasBored said:
that's exactly what song it was

well in all honesty, when I first heard it I thought, "C R E E D?"
so yeah, it's not the best of the songs on the record :p
but there are some good ones!

edit: I didn't realize we couldn't post anything with the word C R E E D in it.

Last edited:
Finally someone else on here who likes Gravity. I think it's a step in the right direction for OLP. They are evolving into one of the best Canadian bands ever.

I quite liked the song "Innocent" from their new album.

I thought that "Somewhere Out There" was good at first, then I realized it was nothing special at all.

Overall, I think the new album was really weak compared to their album before it "Spiritual Machines".

yeah C r e e d has been censored for a while...the joke's getting kinda old, but it's still a little amusing

i find that they have been going steadily downhill since clumsy. the last album i bought from them is happiness... and i don't even listen to that anymore.

the only songs i liked on it are somewhere out there and do you like it? and i don't really like either that much anymore.

i'm still a big fan of there older stuff and if they come back around this way i'll see them in concert.

olp is as boring as matthew good.

but ofcourse, theyre still quite a bit better than nickelback, theory of a deadman, default and all the other pure shit canada exports.

olp, in my opinion, has gone dramatically downhill since naveed.

anyone else think that somewhere out there is VERY close in structure to u2's beautiful day? think about it, part by part. even the bridge is similiar.

Quano Abidji-Achibi said:
but of course, theyre still quite a bit better than nickelback, theory of a deadman, default and all the other pure shit canada exports.

olp, in my opinion, has gone dramatically downhill since naveed.

anyone else think that somewhere out there is VERY close in structure to u2's beautiful day? think about it, part by part. even the bridge is similiar.

I hear that a bit... I think it has to do with the fact that they got a new guitarist, whose riffs are just repetitious... almost as bad as one of my threads.

It's scary that I agree with you about the Canadian exports... we suck frankly. The fact that OLP and Matt Good (the band, not solo... I can't emphasize that enough) are our brightest; the old heritage minister should look into our musical talent pool (some kid named Avril pissed in that pool I believe)...

Complaint about Our Lady Peace:

Stop writing songs about Superman already... take your own advice and observe the fact that Superman is Dead.

dj's out here have mentioned that too: stop singing about superman! who does raine think he is, jerry seinfeld??

and yes, innocent is rediculously annoying.

Staggered Crossing and Hawksley Workman... oh my, they don't sit well with me. More Canuck crap... :wink:

I liked all of their previous albums before Gravity. Happiness was great. Gravity has some good songs, but I skip over a lot of them. I like Do You Like It, SOT, Innocent, and Bring Back the Sun.

I really liked Naveed...sort of a youthful innocence they had. Clumsy a great followup. I loved Happiness (although some others don't), but it was one album I managed to actually listen all the way through. 'Thief' is brilliant. I didn't buy Spiritual Machines, although think I should.

And Gravity....well, I bought it the day it came out (I happened to be at HMV). And truthfully? I've listened to it..maybe 3, 4 times? There were some okay songs on there, but quite frankly I can't be bothered digging it out just for a few mediocre singles. I didn't even like the superman song, and now it's a single...the fact that the OLP concert was completely free is a little unsettling. I just think they're selling out. Trying too hard to be mainstream, C****- type rock. Apparently, the reviewer in the paper said Raine stuck some very Scott Stappish-type poses during the concert anyway.

Last edited:
I think Spiritual Machines is a brilliant album, and I was disappointed when I heard "Somewhere Out There" on the radio, because it just sounded generic. It isn't a bad song, but it does sound generic and not enough like what I think of as the "OLP sound." There is definitely a WOWY reference in the song -- I actually heard that they covered WOWY in a couple of their concerts.

Last edited:
john1800 said:
I think Spiritual Machines is a brilliant album, and I was disappointed when I heard "Somewhere Out There" on the radio, because it just sounded generic. It isn't a bad song, but it does sound generic and not enough like what I think of as the "OLP sound." There is definitely a WOWY reference in the song -- I actually heard that they covered WOWY in a couple of their concerts.

I agree with everything you say here.

Especially the part about Spiritual Machines :up:

Back
Top Bottom