Offical English Footy Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Roberto Carlos doesn't do much defensively, now, does he? :)

United have a small chance but like the Real Madrid side several seasons ago Milan just edge them out in the 'class' department.

Rest of my predictions:

Tie #1: Real Madrid v Juventus
Juventus. Because Madrid have been very, very inconsistent this year while Juventus have been more or less steamrolling everyone in Serie A.

Tie #2: Porto v Inter Milan
Inter. Porto, despite all the exits, still have a good side, but not good enough.

Tie #3: Barcelona v Chelsea
Damn, this is tough. We're talking big, in-form clubs who are dominating (more or less) their respective leagues. I think if either wins the first leg they'll go through with a draw in the second.

Tie #4: Werder Bremen v Lyon
Lyon. Gut feeling and a certain Mr Juninho Pernambucano.

Tie #5: Liverpool v Bayer Leverkusen
Two rather inconsistent sides in their leagues (and in the CL as well). For all we know this will be two 0-0s and a penalty shootout.

Tie #6: PSV Eindhoven v Monaco
Monaco. Both have lost loads of key players but I think Monaco will just edge this one.

Tie #8: Bayern Munich v Arsenal
Bayern don't strike me as one of the European giants of football anymore despite the fact they still have amazing players like Makaay and Ballack. Arsenal on the other have an immense pool of talent and have every chance of winning the whole shebang this season. So obviously, Bayern are going to win this. :)

If you can catch highlights of Chelsea's game tonight do so.
I overheard one guy on the way out say that it was like watching the Harlem Globetrotters and he wasn't wrong.

Yeah Carvalho is injured, they think he will almost certainly miss the Aston Villa game on Boxing day, he might be back for the Portsmouth game a couple of days later but will definately be back for Liverpool on New Year's day.
Ferrira must read my comments in here he was very effective today.

4-2 for us against Palace...could've been 5, if Rooney had scored from the spot. Shame. And AT LAST Everton dropped points! We're only a point behind Arsenal now!! The race is still well and truly on I feel! I dont think Chelsea can continue this way all season..

But I remember saying the same a year ago about another top side..:(

we won 6-1 against 3rd placed Tranmere. 6-1!! mind you, it did help that they had both keepers injured during the game and were forced to play ex-city player Theo Whitmore (a Midfielder) in goal for the second half... what a xmas present though!

YAY!!!! 4-0

it should have been 8-0 but i can't complain. it's our favorite score for teh past several games.

:applaud:

Cant believe Ronaldinho got the World Player of the Year award over Henry. That's a joke. After everything that Henry did to help his team to the incredible season that they enjoyed?! Oh well.

In other ridiculous news, Bolton could be looking at making a bid for our own Ryan Giggs in the January window! What a joke! I know Giggs really wants a long-term contract, but UTD aren't prepared to give him that. I do feel sorry for him. You can tell he really wants to remain at the club that he's been with all his life. I for one don't want to see him go. (Certainly not to bloody Bolton anyway!)
:wink:

I'd go with Ronaldinho, except Barca had a crappy season last year until they somehow charged into second place in La Liga. Amazing, that.

The odd thing is Shevchenko is in third place (behind Henry) but he's the European Footballer Of The Year (beating out Henry). It's a bit like some years ago when Zidane won the World but not the European.

They've got to fix that somehow.

Amazing. We signed Daniel K something (American player with unspellable last name) from Arsenal on a month's loan. He scored against Everton in the Carling Cup and is apparently a left-back.

Exciting! He's on the bench against Wigan tonight. Can't wait...kick off's in ten minutes. I'll take the point though.

....and Everton just keep on going:madspit:
They WILL slip up at some stage, Im sure of it!!:mad:
Oh well, as long as UTD can keep on their little run, i'll be happy. It's gonna be a little harder for the next few wks, with Ruud out, but Smith and Rooney are certainly capable.
Wayne really needs to sort out his bloody temper tho. There was no need for that shove in the face of Tal Ben Haim, even tho he went down VERY easily. If the ref had seen it, he would've gone, so he was very lucky.
Henry had another good game....jeez that guy is good! And just a 1-0 win for Chelsea, after their 4-0 smashes of the last few games - terrible:wink:

And my local team Torquay, hammered 5th placed Brentford 3-0, great hatrick from Consantine!
Im a little worried about the game UTD have against Villa 2moro nite, if we drop points, the title is most definately out of reach.:(

Jose Mourinho is moaning about playing two games in 3 days.
Haha! I love this guy - he's been a breath of fresh air in English Football Management! He deserves the title just for that!:wink:

Aardvark747 said:

Henry had another good game....jeez that guy is good!

Henry? Who needs Henry when you have Super Stu Elliott putting away the goals? Our top scorer leads the League 1 goalscoring charts by 3 or 4 goals - and he's a midfielder!

I daren't mention the 'P' word at this stage of the season but with Hull in 2nd at the mo, it looks like 2005 could be another exciting year for us :applaud:

pity about Sun'lun winning but Wigan and Reading both lost, and Wet Sham needed a late comeback against...Rotherham!

Great day!

Edit: Some game at the City Ground. :|

Booked: Reid, Thompson (Forest); Lawrence, Whitehead, Wright, Whitley, McCartney, Arca, Brown (Sunderland).
Sent off: Robertson (Forest).

and Marcus bloody Stewart has a 90th minute winner.

Last edited:
Aardvark747 said:
Jose Mourinho is moaning about playing two games in 3 days.
Haha! I love this guy - he's been a breath of fresh air in English Football Management! He deserves the title just for that!:wink:

You should read some of the programme notes he's written this season they've been fantastic, things no one else would ever say - calling for songs for every player and lots of other fantastic but accurate things. I don't think you can help but love the guy, my friend's a massive Arsenal fan and even he likes him.

WOOOOOOO-HOOOOOO Everton lose at last, and we (just about) beat Villa, so move up to 3rd, only a point behind Arsenal! The title race is still very much on. Hopefully Everton will be slightly rocked now, and will lose a couple more, and we'll maintain our run and keep the pressure on. I can see us finishing 2nd, but it's gonna be a huge task to catch Chelsea now. It's hard to see which games they could possibly drop points in.
They've still gotta come to Old Trafford, but that'll probably end up in a draw.

Tough game last night anyway, Villa were in control for the majority of the 2nd half, and were unlucky not to get a draw from the game. Smithy should've made it 2 at the death, but somehow tapped it over the bar...from 2 yards out....in front of an empty goal.....:shrug:

Rooney is banned for the next 3 games. Which means he misses the crucial 3rd round F.A cup tie, the visit to Old Trafford of the legendary, Exeter. No Rooney, no Ruud no Saha and no Solskjaer.

....Just Giggs and Smith up-front then!:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom