Offical English Footy Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't count on it, to be honest. We're nearing the halfway point, yes, and I'm getting more and more excited, but as they say, no one wins Championships in December. Just ask Wolves. :wink:

I do think we deserve to be where we are though. Our new-found defensive solidarity has been a big surprise and I think in Kuqi, Benty and Bowditch we have a pretty good attack. Any bad injury still worries me though. Joe keeps talking about loan players, but the one he did manage to bring in was pretty awful (Tony Dinning, of Wigan). Hopefully with Wenger signing that new defender of his Justin Hoyte will make his way down to Portman Road for the season.

That said some of the performances have been awful. We weren't really in the game against Sunderland or Derby, and you don't throw away a two-goal lead at Watford. Unless you're Rotherham.

Rumours are flying today about Ryan Giggs being sold to Newcastle for £4m in the new year.
I really hope this doesnt happen. Giggs is one of UTD's all-time greats, and it would be sad to see him go. He's won it all at Old Trafford, and now suddenly, he's not starting every game anymore, so you can understand his view if he does leave.
Even at 31, he'll be a huge asset at whatever club he's at. It'll be a great purchase by Souness if he does go to Tyneside.

As for UTD if he leaves...they can still produce the goods with Ronaldo on either wing, and Darren Fletcher is starting to look good at the moment too. But Fergie will still have to buy another winger if Giggs goes.
Thomas Gravesen of Everton looks good, as does Stuart Downing from 'Boro, but I dont think he'd leave just yet.

:shrug:

anyone know anything about the situation at Wrexham? I hear they've had 10 points deducted for going into administration.

What a stupid rule. Surely deducting points only makes a bad situation worse. The FA should be looking to aid these teams in desperate need of financial help instead of giving them more troubles to think about. Is there any logic in this 10 points deduction rule at all is it there just for the fun of it?

it's to prevent clubs from going the Leicester route

that lovely-jubbly team was relegated together with Ipswich several years ago, you may remember

Leicester went into admin straightaway, and kept Izzet, Scowcroft, Walker and other top players, and finished second

we didn't (not until Christmas or so anyway) and by season's end Holland, Hreidarsson, Ambrose and Stewart were all gone

Personally, im happy about the Wrexham situation - my 2nd team is Torquay, and I didnt think they had much of a chance staying up in League 1 this season, but this has helped them out a bit! Still got a lot of work to do themselves tho, and Wrexham could easily still avoid the drop.

The sad thing about the Wrexham situation is that the chairman bought the club with sole reason of running it into the ground and then selling the ground for property development. Big Shame. i remember seeing IReland play against Wales at Wrexham back in early '90's (orange ball, pitch full of snow and Ireland won 3-0 if I remember right!). Oh, and I got to drink lots and lots

Ch€£$ki are on a roll. Hopefully Arsenal can put an end to that next Sunday. However, it's Birmingham today. Anything less than all three points is unacceptable.

I was hoping for Charlton home (for Hreidarsson and Holland) or Norwich home (obvious reasons) myself but I can't complain with getting the Notlob at home. I think we ought to make a good game of it too.

We got Colchester...first time we've been in the third round for a long time, i was hoping we'd at least get a top chamionship side. ah well, there's still the 4th round for that i suppose...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom