NHL Playoffs - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2003, 08:04 PM   #211
Refugee

Local Time: 08:21 AM
Well my Oilers will help all of you in your quest to see the Stars eliminated!!!

Has anyone seen the schedule on CBC? It's horrible!!!

Old 04-07-2003, 08:15 PM   #212
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:21 AM
How in the hell does Detroit play dirty?

Anyway, let's not turn this into a "Let's bash Detroit!" thread. I vaguely remember that happening last year.

Good luck to ALL teams in the play-offs, may the best team win.

Old 04-07-2003, 08:16 PM   #213
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
Well my Oilers will help all of you in your quest to see the Stars eliminated!!!

Has anyone seen the schedule on CBC? It's horrible!!!

I get CBC here in Detroit... why, what is it?
Old 04-07-2003, 09:19 PM   #214
New Yorker

PopAngel, you suck. This is always the best time of the year to watch hockey and CBC is so much better than anything else. Why do I have to live in NYC now? Hopefully, I'll be able to watch a bit when I'm home in three weeks.

As for the bandwagon fans in Hockeytown, I think not. I went to two victory parades in the city. 1 mil. plus people at each one. Much better than the 200,000 than showed up to the parking lot of Continental Arena for the Devils' victory parade. Although the rest of our sports teams suck. [but I swear this IS the rebuilding year for the Tigers. Before this year, we just sucked. now we suck with purpose!]

And while some of you say we bought the cup, the Rangers prove that money isn't everything.

On that note, I will be positive! Go Wings!
Old 04-07-2003, 09:22 PM   #215
ONE
love, blood, life

I grew up in Jersey, and I have to say, there's no bigger badwagon jumpers than those in the NYC area (as well as long time diehards - but more jumpers!!!). I think Devils fans rather cheer agains the Rangers than for the Devils. Dumb!
Old 04-07-2003, 09:43 PM   #216
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
PopAngel, you suck. This is always the best time of the year to watch hockey and CBC is so much better than anything else. Why do I have to live in NYC now? Hopefully, I'll be able to watch a bit when I'm home in three weeks.

As for the bandwagon fans in Hockeytown, I think not. I went to two victory parades in the city. 1 mil. plus people at each one. Much better than the 200,000 than showed up to the parking lot of Continental Arena for the Devils' victory parade. Although the rest of our sports teams suck. [but I swear this IS the rebuilding year for the Tigers. Before this year, we just sucked. now we suck with purpose!]

And while some of you say we bought the cup, the Rangers prove that money isn't everything.

On that note, I will be positive! Go Wings!

The Wings have the biggest following of any sports team in Detroit. And our payroll is less than the Rangers and look where they are, so the "money buys championships" argument is old.

Can't wait for Thursday!
Old 04-07-2003, 11:36 PM   #217
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
[B] I went to two victory parades in the city. 1 mil. plus people at each one.
I was at the one last year! It was amazing! I'm hoping for another one this year. But mostly, I'm just reeally excited for playoff hockey! WOOO!
Old 04-08-2003, 01:40 AM   #218
Refugee

the cbc sked is very fucked up. They are the only Canadian network that is allowed to show CDN teams so wednesday when ott, tor, and edmonton play at the same time we can only watch one game. Then they have a repeat. Also the Toronto games are shown Canada wide even in Sask and Manitoba where there arent neccesaily more Leafs fans then Oilers fans. I just think if they cant show all the games then another network should have the rights, like sportsnet who do a great job showing regualr season games and have NO playoff games.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:03 AM   #219
Blue Crack Addict

i think its kind of weird how all canadians root for all canadian teams. shouldn't you only root for the team in your area, or one you have a sentimental attachment to? like I don't cheer for every american team, I just have 1 team I root for through and through.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:55 AM   #220
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener
I don't mind Detroit now that I know Minnesota doesn't have to play them!!!!!

Well, I will be at both Wild Home games - and some silly gathering at the arena Thursday night for the first game.

don't get too confident AVSGirl41................every time I have seen the two teams play, Colorado hasn't faired well.

GO WILD!!!!

*Thinks about changing his avatar
It must be nice, living in dream land. Please. The Avs can handle the Wild.

The Wild are good, but they are not as good as the Avs right now. I'll just toss the names FORSBERG and HEJDUK out there and let you think about it.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:00 AM   #221
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirrorball Girl

(Also, AvsGirl - I can't wait for Dallas to lose either. )
With all this negative energy, the Stars can't help but lose.

I'm glad you rooted for Colorado. I really would like to see peace come between our teams and all the hatred go to the Stars.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:02 AM   #222
New Yorker

As happy as I am for the Avs, I am extremely sad Skoula lost his games played streak.

Darn you Anaheim! I wasn't rooting against you, but you cost him his record! Now you must lose.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:47 AM   #223
Blue Crack Addict

Five reasons why the Red Wings won't repeat

By Mike Heika
Special to ESPN.com

5. Scotty Bowman is not their coach
It's easy to fall back on this one, but the guy did win a few games in his career. And whether or not he needled Fedorov with his constant line changes or irritated Shanahan by refusing to stroke his ego, Bowman found a way to get the most out of his players. At a time when the NHL's best teams in the West are going with playoff rookies on the bench, Bowman would have had a field day. It's' one thing to be coaching in your first year in the playoffs; it's quite another to be coaching in your first year in the playoffs against legendary mind-messer Scotty Bowman. No, the Mike Babcocks and Tony Granatos and Dave Tippetts of the world can be quite happy that the scheming little man with the lucky coin in his pocket will not be trying to get into their kitchen this spring.

4. The Grind Line is circling (and not in the right direction)
It is one of the more intriguing lines in hockey. It might have been the best line for the Red Wings in the playoffs last season. But could The Grind Line (the trio of Kris Draper, Kirk Maltby and Darren McCarty) finally be circling the drain? Draper and McCarty each accounted for three points in their last 18 games, while Maltby had three points in his last 12 games. Now, the Red Wings didn't need them during a long winning stretch, but it sure would have been nice to see a little more than that. And while we're at it, are Luc Robitaille and Igor Larionov slipping too?

3. Steve Yzerman is old
Maybe they can just let him use one of those Rascal Scooters and motor around the ice like an aging polo player. All right, that was mean, but Yzerman has played almost 1,400 regular-season games and is starting to show the mileage. The realignment of his knee was no small operation, and he simply isn't what he once was. If they lean too heavily on him now, it might be more than his body can take. If they try to protect him, it might hurt the delicate balance of their five-man units. The Red Wings have depth, but any team that relies (physically or mentally) on an injury-prone superstar can be in trouble.

2. Curtis Joseph ain't good
The Red Wings needed only to defeat the Chicago Blackhawks Sunday to get first place in the West and eventually get a path paved in gold to the Stanley Cup Finals. And when Fedorov scored short-handed in the third period, Detroit had the break it needed with a 3-2 lead and only eight minutes to play. A great goalie would have made a statement at that time and not allowed another goal, no matter what kind of acrobatics it took. Joseph did not, allowing Chicago to tie the game on a strange Eric Daze spin-around that can only be classified as a soft goal. This follows a strange history of Joseph's to not be able to make the big save at the right time, and critics will say it's why his own NHL coach, Toronto's Pat Quinn, went with Martin Brodeur and not Joseph in the 2002 Olympics.

1. Depth can't beat the hockey gods
It's difficult to say that everything the Red Wings accomplished during a 17-1-0-1 stretch late in the season was frittered away in one game to Chicago Sunday&but it was. Every expert in the NHL was ready to pick the Red Wings to repeat, but that Chicago loss combined with a strange mix of other wins and losses means Detroit's path through the Western Conference playoffs has just gotten twice as tough. As the No. 2 seed, Detroit has the potential to play Colorado in the second round and then would have to play on the road against Dallas in the conference finals (if both teams advance that far). Had the Red Wings won, they would have stayed away from Colorado or Dallas until the third round and would have had home ice in the Western Conference Finals. Maybe that's getting into too many details, but the Western Conference championship has been decided in Game 7 in three of the last four seasons and the home team has won Game 7 each time. One unfortunate game, one unfortunate goal -- the hockey gods are speaking, and they're not saying Detroit.

Cu-choke on that suckers.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:35 AM   #224
Blue Crack Addict

hey i got a wager, how about if your team loses, than the other person can come up with a signature that you have to use until their team is eliminated? it cant be anything obscene or something that will get you banned, but something that would be a little embarrassing is acceptable. what do you think?
Old 04-08-2003, 07:43 AM   #225
Blue Crack Distributor

ok, chizip, we get that you hate detroit.

have you ever heard of superstitions? nice sig.