NFL 2014, Part 2: Boom Shakalaka

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I assumed it was likely more than three if there were three I managed to see happen in the little Lions football I watch.

i hope everyone considers Dallas as that team that can't win a playoff game

I would take Detroit or Arizona as that team before I would take Dallas, although I do acknowledge that you're going for the reverse jinx strategy :wink:

Normally I would say Carolina as well but they're playing Arizona, so it'll be interesting to watch them get stomped in Seattle.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I consider the Lions to be the team that can't win a playoff game.

I consider the Cowboys the team that can't win at home.

I am fascinated by what might happen in Dallas next week.

Maybe I'm nuts but I wouldn't count out the Panthers beating both Arizona and Seattle back to back. They're playing good ball right now.

Maybe I'm nuts but I wouldn't count out the Panthers beating both Arizona and Seattle back to back. They're playing good ball right now.

I don't think they will have a huge problem against Arizona and I could see them having a chance against Seattle if the Seahawks happen to play a mediocre game, however I don't think they stand a chance of winning an NFC championship game, much less the Super Bowl. I can't see how this team catches THAT much good luck.

But hey, I've been wrong on occasion before.

The Cardinals beat one team with a winning record on the road this year (the Cowboys).

It's going to be interesting, I'll say that much.

You're nuts, plain and simple.
They probably beat Arizona because I am playing QB for the Cardinals, but they get annihilated in Seattle.

Yeah I don't give the Panthers much chance in Seattle. They've had a good run, but it's not like Seattle hasn't and the latter is infinitely more talented.

The Cardinals beat one team with a winning record on the road this year (the Cowboys).

It's going to be interesting, I'll say that much.

I was referring mostly to the idea that they are somehow this lucky group of scoundrels that are going to go into Seattle and lay waste to the Legion of Boom.

You're nuts, plain and simple.

They probably beat Arizona because I am playing QB for the Cardinals, but they get annihilated in Seattle.

A lot of people called me nuts in 2008 when I predicted that the Cardinals would make it to the NFC championship and they obviously exceeded my expectations. Fact is, they're in the playoffs and they looked really good yesterday and have quietly won 4 straight. Combine that with the fact that everyone seems to be overrating the Seahawks right now and I think there's a chance that the Panthers could shock the world and win on Seattle.

Yeah, Seattle has won 6 straight, but those included 2 games against Arizona without Palmer, 2 against a 49ers team whose coach had 1 foot out the door, 1 game against Sanchez, and 1 game where they were in serious danger of losing to the Rams at home until the 4th quarter. This is not the 2013 Seahawks. Are they good? Absolutely. Do I fear the Packers potentially going on the road to play there? Not nearly as much as week 1.

I hope the Panthers will make a deep run and it would be hilarious because of all these people criticizing them for having a losing record in the playoffs, then they beat the all mighty douchebag team of the century, Seattle, on the road.
Panthers vs. Lions
Steelers vs. Patriots.
That's what I'm hoping for.

I want Bengals/Lions with the Bengals winning it all. It ain't happening, but a SB rematch, Pats/Seahawks, Pats/Packers, etc. sounds boring as fuck. There aren't any good storylines at this point, so I hope a team that's never won gets hot and surprises everyone.

I hope the lions win it and Suh takes the Lombardi trophy and him and Raoila start stomping on it. Goodell would be so pissed.
That'd be one for the ages.

I want Bengals/Lions with the Bengals winning it all. It ain't happening, but a SB rematch, Pats/Seahawks, Pats/Packers, etc. sounds boring as fuck. There aren't any good storylines at this point, so I hope a team that's never won gets hot and surprises everyone.

You've held this belief the last couple of years, and I honestly don't get it. I don't care if it's the same teams or not, I want to see the best at the end of the road, not a badly played game by pretenders like the Bungles and Lions. Pats/Packers was a great regular season game - who wouldn't want a repeat of that? And even if the Broncos get there, a Packers/Broncos contest would certainly be more riveting that something like Bengals/Lions.

I'm all in for the Bengals, but I am every year, cause I'm biased.

Bengals/Packers all the way. Usually I cheer for the Broncos in the AFC, but I just don't see it happening this year. Honestly, I don't see it happening for the Bengals, now, either. They got too beat up last night.

You've held this belief the last couple of years, and I honestly don't get it. I don't care if it's the same teams or not, I want to see the best at the end of the road, not a badly played game by pretenders like the Bungles and Lions. Pats/Packers was a great regular season game - who wouldn't want a repeat of that? And even if the Broncos get there, a Packers/Broncos contest would certainly be more riveting that something like Bengals/Lions.

First of all, these are all professional football teams at this point (I mean, I guess they are all professionals throughout the season, but I wouldn't refer to the Redskins and Jets as professional). Every one of these teams is capable of having a great game; the Panthers, after all, annihilated the Lions earlier this year and the Lions themselves have shocked a lot of teams. What you're describing is a preseason game. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see two teams with winning records play the games of their lives and entertain everyone.

On the inverse, I've seen the Pats look like fucking shit at certain points this season. Ditto the Packers, especially outside of Lambeau (where they won't be in February). There's no guarantee that "the best at the end of the road" play worth a damn when they get there. Ask the 2013 Broncos. The 2007 Giants had one of the finest defensive performances I've ever seen after being wildcard fodder all year. That game still amazes me.

So yeah, in an ideal world, a tightly-played game by two upstarts that has an intriguing impact on NFL history would entertain me more than a curbstomp like last year or two perennial juggernauts acting like they've been there before. I don't know what's so crazy about that.

First of all, these are all professional football teams at this point (I mean, I guess they are all professionals throughout the season, but I wouldn't refer to the Redskins and Jets as professional). Every one of these teams is capable of having a great game; the Panthers, after all, annihilated the Lions earlier this year and the Lions themselves have shocked a lot of teams. What you're describing is a preseason game. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see two teams with winning records play the games of their lives and entertain everyone.

On the inverse, I've seen the Pats look like fucking shit at certain points this season. Ditto the Packers, especially outside of Lambeau (where they won't be in February). There's no guarantee that "the best at the end of the road" play worth a damn when they get there. Ask the 2013 Broncos. The 2007 Giants had one of the finest defensive performances I've ever seen after being wildcard fodder all year. That game still amazes me.

So yeah, in an ideal world, a tightly-played game by two upstarts that has an intriguing impact on NFL history would entertain me more than a curbstomp like last year or two perennial juggernauts acting like they've been there before. I don't know what's so crazy about that.

Sure, anything can happen. Any team can have a great game at any specific time. But teams that have more inconsistency throughout the year or shitty quarterback play are more likely to bomb in the playoffs than the elite teams, and the last thing I'd want to see in a Super Bowl is Dalton and Stafford bumbling their way through a championship.

At least with the 2007 Giants, they were on an impressive winning streak heading into the playoffs and stayed hot. And I don't think it mattered who was playing the Seahawks last year at the end...

Sure, anything can happen. Any team can have a great game at any specific time. But teams that have more inconsistency throughout the year or shitty quarterback play are more likely to bomb in the playoffs than the elite teams, and the last thing I'd want to see in a Super Bowl is Dalton and Stafford bumbling their way through a championship.

At least with the 2007 Giants, they were on an impressive winning streak heading into the playoffs and stayed hot. And I don't think it mattered who was playing the Seahawks last year at the end...

:shrug: If the Panthers, Cardinals, Bengals, Lions, etc. wipe out the competition, they'll have earned it and I'll be excited to watch what happens next. It's too early to assume they'll bumble their way through any one game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom