NFL 2014, Part 2: Boom Shakalaka

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How about the obvious hand inside the defenders facemask before the pass ?

Also don't forget the running into the Kicker no call against the Lions.

Cheers :up::beer:

How about the obvious hand inside the defenders facemask before the pass ?

Also don't forget the running into the Kicker no call against the Lions.

Cheers :up::beer:

No-calls happen. Calls followed by a looooooooooong gap and an overturn are less common and require an explanation.

Um....the Cowboys guy shoved the Lions guy into the kicker and he held up. And it wasn't just one call guys....
The turning point was obvious, but Dez Bryant ran onto the field complaining about the call. Should've been a 15 yard penalty; you can't do that. 3 egregious missed holding calls on the Cowboys final drive and then calling that horrific holding penalty against Ansah on 3rd and long,when in fact, he was getting draped by #65.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

c96b5108_image.jpeg

I was watching in a bar and didn't realize that they actually ANNOUNCED the defensive pass interference before it got overturned. Jesus Christ.

Um....the Cowboys guy shoved the Lions guy into the kicker and he held up. And it wasn't just one call guys....
The turning point was obvious, but Dez Bryant ran onto the field complaining about the call. Should've been a 15 yard penalty; you can't do that. 3 egregious missed holding calls on the Cowboys final drive and then calling that horrific holding penalty against Ansah on 3rd and long,when in fact, he was getting draped by #65.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

80-tumblr_m8lr7c5es21qfy4koo1_1280_b926ae00b37efa0c6775a28a080e9e440e623471.jpg

:sexywink:

I've seen a couple of funny items this morning suggesting that the right call was made. Reminds me of when a select group of people tried to claim that the Fail Mary was the correct call.

While I believe the Lions were screwed, they were also given a gift getting that Stafford fumble back on the last drive and they failed to take advantage of it. So I don't have a ton of sympathy for the Lions.

If anything, this proves that:

1. Pass Interference needs to be reviewable. I've seen easy to many incorrect calls over the years and it's getting worse.

2. The officials need to be held accountable more than they are today. Why is Jeff Triplett still in the league? Maybe the other solution is more training and better resources too but unfortunately the Fail Mary forced the hand of the league to settle with the current group of subpar officials.

Ravens are happy to play pretty boy and his Pats. Will they make him cry like a baby again?

Ravens will likely not be favored and that usually works out quite well for them.

10418149_979291322085551_2167734282845120955_n.jpg

I meant that facetiously..... Ravens seem to have their number.

The Lions had plenty of chances to win that game. The refs fucked up, no doubt, but a team can't put their fate in the refs' hands. The Lions only scored 3 points in the second half.

The Lions had plenty of chances to win that game. The refs fucked up, no doubt, but a team can't put their fate in the refs' hands. The Lions only scored 3 points in the second half.

Well you are correct. I thought what Cris Carter said this morning was interesting:

(summary if i remember correctly)

- It wasn't pass interference
. Face guarding is not a penalty in the NFL like in college ball
. If anything, Pettigrew grabbed Hitchen's facemask
. Pettigrew didn't come back to the ball and could have changed the call if he had - forcing Hitchen's to move into him
. Hitchen's has a right to his space, it was man coverage
. Hitchen's didn't 'gain an advantage' by putting his left hand on Hitchen's
. The trajectory of the ball was flat and if it had been better thrown, then Hitchen's left hand would have impeded Pettigrew

I've been watching football long enough to know that sometimes things go your way and sometimes they don't. I've seen flags thrown before and then get picked up with no explanation, this season even. No explanation, none whatsoever. Yes it's frustrating. Penalties shouldn't be the reason a team wins or loses, the better team should prevail regardless of what gets called or what doesn't get called. In every game i have ever watched there have been questionable calls or no calls.

No disrespect to the Detroit Lions fan on here by any means. Dallas may very well lose next week or the week after. The funny thing is, from general observations around the internet, i think the Eagles fans are universally more pissed off about this than the Lions fans. That is just some funny shit right there. Life is too short to get this worked up over...a game. That said, im really glad Dallas won. Cheers to all.

Then it was defensive holding, minimum:

uDmoOC2.png

You can thank the Legion of Boom for this rule change, as I believe the "jersey pull = automatic defensive hold" rule was enacted this past offseason. It used to be a judgment call based on the degree to which it held back the receiver:

http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2024257515_seahawksnewrules07xml.html

Like Mikal said, I've seen some Failmary-esque defenses of this call, but it's really just as open and shut. There should have been offsetting flags. I'm cool with the argument that Detroit could have done more, but I won't hear any defense of the refs. The lead official should be unemployed or at least never allowed to call another playoff game. He's fucked up before in these high-stakes situations.

Last edited:
Well you are correct. I thought what Cris Carter said this morning was interesting:

(summary if i remember correctly)

. Face guarding is not a penalty in the NFL like in college ball
. If anything, Pettigrew grabbed Hitchen's facemask
. Pettigrew didn't come back to the ball and could have changed the call if he had - forcing Hitchen's to move into him
. Hitchen's has a right to his space, it was man coverage
. Hitchen's didn't 'gain an advantage' by putting his left hand on Hitchen's
. The trajectory of the ball was flat and if it had been better thrown, then Hitchen's left hand would have impeded Pettigrew

I've been watching football long enough to know that sometimes things go your way and sometimes they don't. I've seen flags thrown before and then get picked up with no explanation, this season even. No explanation, none whatsoever. Yes it's frustrating. Penalties shouldn't be the reason a team wins or loses, the better team should prevail regardless of what gets called or what doesn't get called. In every game i have ever watched there have been questionable calls or no calls.

No disrespect to the Detroit Lions fan on here by any means. Dallas may very well lose next week or the week after. The funny thing is, from general observations around the internet, i think the Eagles fans are universally more pissed off about this than the Lions fans. That is just some funny shit right there. Life is too short to get this worked up over...a game. That said, im really glad Dallas won. Cheers to all.

I would have been okay with them not calling PI. I would have been okay with them calling PI.

What is not okay is throwing the flag, announcing the penalty, marking the ball at the spot of the foul, ignoring an obvious unsportsmanlike conduct penalty by a player who stormed onto the field to protest said penalty, and then taking the penalty away without giving anyone, either coach nor the audience, an explanation.

That reeks of unprofessionalism, and deserves every last bit of criticism it gets.

That it was a crew led by an official who has had previous baffling mind fucks before only makes it worse. This is now Morelli's third well known clusterfuck. He has no business being a lead official in any game, let alone a game of merit.

I think what's really ridiculous (and my apologies if it was mentioned earlier) is the NFL's decision to put together "the best" refs. These guys aren't used to working with each other. There's no cohesion there. They should have just utilized the best officiating teams as a whole instead of splitting them up. These are the most important games of the season. It just isn't a good time to experiment with the chemistry of these officiating teams.

Damn it, work internet went out and ate my post.

I don't understand how Morelli even gets pegged as a "best of" in the first place. He's middle of the pack at best, and already has a huge playoff tarnish on his resume. One officially deemed incorrect and nearly costing a team a game. Are you seriously telling me there aren't four better head officials in the NFL than Morelli? This is one of the hardest to get jobs in the country, and yet there is no accountability despite the fact that there's a line of people waiting to take their place.

I'm dumbfounded by the shittiness of the officiating crew but nothing beyond that. I am looking forward to a hopefully healthy Aaron Rodgers torching that Dallas defense, though.

When all is said and done, while the refs really screwed up in this case, is how in the world they don't keep officiating crews together? Grade the whole group not each individual ref. There's absolutely no continuity.

I'm dumbfounded by the shittiness of the officiating crew but nothing beyond that. I am looking forward to a hopefully healthy Aaron Rodgers torching that Dallas defense, though.

And this, I kinda see the Pack smoking this team after all of this craziness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom