NFL 2014/2015 - Super Bowl Postmortem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As much as I dislike that Shady is leaving as he has been one of my favourites for a few years, and as much of a hit to the run game as this ends up being short-term, in the long run I don't see how this doesn't end up being a net positive as long as Alonso stays healthy.

I do hope there's a plan in place for the QB/RB positions though. It's going to be hard for Chip to run a really effective offense with Foles 'n' Sproles running the show.

As much as I dislike that Shady is leaving as he has been one of my favourites for a few years, and as much of a hit to the run game as this ends up being short-term, in the long run I don't see how this doesn't end up being a net positive as long as Alonso stays healthy.

I do hope there's a plan in place for the QB/RB positions though. It's going to be hard for Chip to run a really effective offense with Foles 'n' Sproles running the show.
Sproles definitely won't start at RB and I doubt Foles is the QB.

Maybe Sproles will be the starter. Maybe they'll draft a guy. Maybe they'll find a dog in a garbage can that walked all the way from Oregon.

Fuck it! THAT'S THE CHIP KELLY WAY

Seriously, though, this is a big fucking bugaboo some fans have with Chip, the whole Oregon thing. Like, if he coached a middling program, sure, maybe there's a problem, but Oregon consistently produces great players. I can't for the life of me understand why this is a big deal.

You haven't won a playoff game yet under Chip and are fresh off a season that fell short of expectations. Now Chip is stripping the team clean of stars and replacing them with his own men. It's what a coach has to do, but backlash and unrest is inevitable. The only thing that Chip needs to watch out for is weakening the team so much in the short term that he never receives the opportunity to coach in the long term.

On paper, I think this is a good trade for Philly because Alonso has a lot of potential and Philly's OL is good enough that a franchise RB isn't required to get production on the ground. They can groom a guy and succeed. Of course, Alonso's injury history is troubling.

Last edited:
He's stripping the team of stars because he traded one player for another very good player? They let go of Trent Cole (well past his prime), Todd Herremans (ditto), Cary Williams (not good and overpaid), and James Casey (overpaid special teamer). They're probably going to get rid of DeMeco Ryans in the next day or two to save $7 million more now that Alonso is in the fold. That won't be stripping a star either, as Ryans is also past his prime and coming off his third or fourth major injury.

I don't disagree with your assessment of the risk involved because of Alonso's injury history and I understand that you're in agreement that the trade is good on paper. I also will concede that Kelly hasn't won anything, though he's only had two years and the roster was pretty shit when he was hired. But it's your point about stripping the team of stars I take issue with. McCoy is the first instance of him getting rid of a very good player (DeSean aside, but that was a totally different issue with his mountain of off-the-field problems, and was a year ago), and the return for the player was good. The rest of the guys he's gotten rid of weren't close to stars in 2015.

I was referring to DJax. The Shady deal makes more sense because they had some return on it, but the comparisons will be run into the ground if Shady runs wild on you when you play Buffalo this year. Again, different situation, I agree. At least no one is questioning Kelly's motivations this time.

Relative to his contract, Cary Williams is terrible, letting go of him was a wise move.

I actually had no idea what you were referring to because I thought we were talking about this offseason. But sure, I guess since his hiring two years ago two offensive stars have gone, I'll give you that.

All I'll say on DJax: Most if not all NFL teams know how to protect their players from getting arrested. The Eagles in particular have a very good relationship with the Philadelphia Police Department. DeSean benefited from that as much as any player in NFL history under Andy Reid, desperate to keep his job in his final years in Philly. Kelly couldn't handle it longer than one season. The gang stuff was absolutely legitimate (and was not leaked by the team, because they wanted people off the scent of the trouble so as to not endanger their ability to continue to work with Philly PD), as was the fraudulent robbery situation, among a number of other things.

Seriously, though, this is a big fucking bugaboo some fans have with Chip, the whole Oregon thing. Like, if he coached a middling program, sure, maybe there's a problem, but Oregon consistently produces great players. I can't for the life of me understand why this is a big deal.

Similarish situation, but I'll be honest and say that I don't exactly love that the Cubs are stocking up Ex-Red Sox and Rays. I get that the new staff is more familiar with those players, but some of the Red Sox especially were on a team that won a lot years ago. It makes me nervous that in his effort to get the band back together, Theo's gonna blow it for us. So I'm hesitant towards any coach who seems focused on putting back together a team he's familiar with, rather than using the tools he has.

But, we'll both see what happens very soon.

I'll give DJax this: as awful as we were last year, he played hard and kept his mouth shut and his nose clean. I expect that to change, but I mean, I guess people can grow up. I just don't think we're the team to facilitate that.

They're planning on going all in on Mariota, so they're going to need to plug a lot of holes in free agency. That said, a good portion of their cap space is going to be taken up with new deals for Jeremy Maclin, Fletcher Cox, and potentially Mychal Kendricks (though it wouldn't shock me if he ends up being used as a trade chip now that Alonso is in the fold).

they're going to need to plug a lot of holes.

What did Lance's Mom say to her pimp when her pimp told her that an entire bachelor party purchased her for the night?

(This is a stretch but I hadn't done a Lance's Mom joke in a while and just felt like brushing off the cobwebs.)

Go Bears.

I laughed out loud when I saw the Jets of all teams wanted Brandon Marshall, but yeah, that's a great price. Bears got fucked over.

Back
Top Bottom