NFL 2007 Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hewson said:
The pick is donated to charity just like the fine money. So some linebacker instead of earning $78 million over an 11 year NFL career has to work in a soup kitchen for the rest of his life.

Makes sense. And I guess that makes one more person who hates BB & the Pats, for costing him an NFL career. It's a conspiracy...I blame Bill Polian.

The unearthing of that video is what really led to Mike Tice being fired as Vikings coach, Brad Childress found it 2 years ago and sent a copy to the Vikings offices.

Can Mangina be far behind?
Or in NY is a coach safe regarless of his numerous coaching shortcomings and off the field/court discourses be they harassment or ratting on others?

Wow, Belichick gets coach of the year.

He deserves it for sure, but I thought the press would punish him for the overhyped Spygate.

Glad he got it. The Patriots are a model franchise and no one gameplans like Belichick.

No spoken words said:
Well, he was a runaway winner, almost 2x the votes of McCarthy.

How did Romeo Crennel not get any votes at all?
58% is a majority, yes...but be honest if Tony Dungy led the Colts to 16-0 do you think he'd have gotten more like 45 or more of the votes?
In any other year McCarthy would probably win, but how do you overlook the league's first 16-0 regular season.

Hewson said:
29 out of 50 votes for an undefeated season...be sure a good portion of the press did punish him.

Yeah, coaching a team that's already a perennial AFC champion (and had just netted Randy Moss) to an extra 3 wins is truly reason for a unanimous vote.

He has his claim on it, but McCarthy deserved it more.

I might have voted for Crennel 2nd after BB, I'm surprised he didn't get a single vote.

LemonMelon said:

Yeah, coaching a team that's already a perennial AFC champion (and had just netted Randy Moss) to an extra 3 wins is truly reason for a unanimous vote.

I know I'm going to come across as biased because I am a Patriots fan, but I would say this under any circumstance:

A coach who guides his team to a 16-0 season, something never done before, and only the fourth time an undefeated regular season has ever occurred in the entire NFL history, is certainly more deserving that a coach whose team turned it around from one season to the next.

This was a regular season for the ages. It's not like it happens all the time. You make it out to be no big deal, and I think you are way off with that.

The magnitude of a 16-0 season cannot be ignored, and it seems most of the voters agreed with that.

LemonMelon said:

Since the NFL expanded the schedule to 16 games, how many 13-3 seasons have there been and how many 16-0 seasons have there been?
McCarthy and others (Crennel, Phillips, Dungy, Del Rio) deserved consideration, but only Belichick deserved the award, and frankly should have gotten pretty much all 50 votes. And I'd say that if Dungy, McCarthy, Gibbs or even the buffoon that is Mike Martz had coached a team to a perfect regular season. How does anyone justify somebody doing a better job than perfect?
16-0 has never happened before, and who knows if/when it'll happen again.
I suppose you have an argument for someone other than Tom Brady as NFL MVP as well?

Hewson said:
Can Mangina be far behind?
Or in NY is a coach safe regarless of his numerous coaching shortcomings and off the field/court discourses be they harassment or ratting on others?

doubtful. they'll give him one more year. if they stink again next year he's done, but i'd be very surprised if they fired him this off-season.

Hewson said:
I suppose you have an argument for someone other than Tom Brady as NFL MVP as well?

Randy Moss will get some support for MVP. Not saying I'd vote Moss over Brady, but you could make an argument for him.

Hewson said:
Since the NFL expanded the schedule to 16 games, how many 13-3 seasons have there been and how many 16-0 seasons have there been?
McCarthy and others (Crennel, Phillips, Dungy, Del Rio) deserved consideration, but only Belichick deserved the award, and frankly should have gotten pretty much all 50 votes. And I'd say that if Dungy, McCarthy, Gibbs or even the buffoon that is Mike Martz had coached a team to a perfect regular season. How does anyone justify somebody doing a better job than perfect?
16-0 has never happened before, and who knows if/when it'll happen again.

Let me just say this...would anyone give a damn about Belichick or the Patriots in general this season if they had just gone 15-1? Or, rather, if the Ravens hadn't called that ridiculous timeout or AJ Feely hadn't thrown that second interception? Let's face it, the Pats had, along with their obvious skill, quite a few breaks along the way. He did a great job, but it wasn't like his brilliance was the sole reason for their fantastic run. Was Belichick's coaching really that revolutionary? I still say taking a terrible team and turning them into arguably the class of the NFC is more impressive than netting an already incredible team a few more wins.

And no, I have no argument against Brady being the MVP. He was by far and away the best QB in the league all season long, and his stats back him up. I'm getting tired of the guy, but damn if he isn't one of the best every season.

Last edited:
I think you have to give Belichick credit for keeping the team focused with everything going on, especially in the last month of the season. You have everyone in the media saying how great you are, and constantly asking questions and being in your face. Belichick knows how to keep them motivated and focused on the task at hand, more so than other coaches. The fact that he succeeded and the team went 16-0 is a major accomplishment.

And coming up with "What Ifs" is quite lame, really. Every team gets breaks here and there. You can't use that as a slight against what they did.

Now if they had failed during that last month and lost a game, he definitely wouldn't have gotten it.

Last edited:
LemonMelon said:
Or, rather, if the Ravens hadn't called that ridiculous timeout or AJ Feely hadn't thrown that second interception? Let's face it, the Pats had, along with their obvious skill, quite a few breaks along the way.

if moss and watson catch two highly catchable balls the patriots blow the ravens out and those "ridiculous timeouts" and "second interceptions" don't matter. hearsay works both ways.

and great teams/players get breaks. bad teams don't. dems the breaks, so to speak.

LemonMelon said:

I still say taking a terrible team and turning them into arguably the class of the NFC is more impressive than netting an already incredible team a few more wins.
Green Bay was 8-8 last year, I wouldn't call that terrible, i'd call it average. 2-14 I'd call terrible.

Hewson said:
Green Bay was 8-8 last year, I wouldn't call that terrible, i'd call it average. 2-14 I'd call terrible.

Perhaps. But they were 4-8 at one point, and 17-3 ever since. Quite a turnaround. Wish the Skins could do something like that, but we don't have a QB like Favre either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom