NFL 2007 Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And all of a sudden, LemonMelon makes all of you look like asses. Way to go, LM! :hi5:

I'm going home, hopefully we'll be back to talking about football by the time I log back on before MNF.

ETA: I notice that as soon as that was posted, all the Pats fans took off from PEUP :lol:

Last edited:
I'm taking my ball and going home. I may have won this round, but I still believe you were all using fake crowd noise during the fight. :wink:

DaveC said:
And all of a sudden, LemonMelon makes all of you look like asses. Way to go, LM! :hi5:

I'm going home, hopefully we'll be back to talking about football by the time I log back on before MNF.

ETA: I notice that as soon as that was posted, all the Pats fans took off from PEUP :lol:
How is that making us look like asses?

We were discussing a noticeable anomaly in the crowd noise, if its truly a CBS glitch, then the mystery is solved, but the discussion here was mostly about the double standard applied by the media when it comes to the perception of the 2 teams involved in yesterday's game.
If in fact the Colts were to be found guilty of breaking a rule would you have called us all geniuses instead of the not so veilied personal attack of "asses"?

( Is "ass" better or worse than "Boulder"?)

clearly, he's a little upset that his Eagles suck, but also that his newly adopted ASU Sun Devils lost this weekend and he's taking it out on the Pats' fans.

Although, I do have to wonder if said crowd noise had impacted Brady's fantasy stats if our angry Canuck would be singing a different tune. :wink:

zoney! said:

The Colts have been accused before by piping in noise to keep opposing teams' quarterbacks from being able to communicate plays to teammates, Yahoo! said
I believe these accusations have been around since domes have been in use, most notably as you mention, the Vikings. It can be looked at 2 ways,
1. Where there's smoke there's often fire
2. Its just an abnormality of playing with a roof overhead (retractable or not, meow).

Either way, 1 thing for sure is the NFL should outlaw domes and have everyone play in the elements...Vikes haven't been the same since going indoors...nobody wanted to play at Metropolitan Stadium in December let alone January.

I'd like to say, as a different Eagles fan with a different perspective, that I thought the whole "Cameragate" thing was blown out of proportion and that there is a double standard here and the media loves to hate the Pats.

And I still hate Andy Reid.

phillyfan26 said:

And I still hate Andy Reid.
A serious question, do you think the Eagles would perform better had Reid either stepped down or at least taken a leave?

I was mildly shocked at how poorly they played last night, would have figured they'd rally around the coach and put maximum effort out there (like the Pats in week 2 vs SD after Belichick's character was under siege for a week), but it looked to be just the opposite.

I think that Andy Reid makes them play worse anyway, because he's not good at preparing, he doesn't get his players in shape, he doesn't playcall well, etc. And I think his off-the-field stuff has just maximized his weaknesses. I think the problem is that they're not a very good team, and they beat themselves up by being out-of-shape and commiting penalties and a bunch of mental errors (a lot of which are the fault of Reid). And I think that because they are underachieving on a team that's not that good anyway, it's very disheartening and they lack inspiration.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
did anyone else here the crowd noise skip at one point?

it was very strange... i'm guessing it was simply the NBC audio feed but the announcers kept talking normaly, almost like the colts were pumping crowd audio in.

just so we're all straight on this entire issue... the guy who first brought up the potential pumping in of crowd noise by the colts was me :wave:

non patriot fan.

it was obviously a technical error on CBS' part. players would have complained or even stopped if they had heard a loud skipping noise inside the dome. no one reacted on the field, it was obviously a CBS error.

that said... those of you who are taking the "so what even if they were it's not like it compares to what belichick" road are so full of bono sized crap that it's not even worth discussing, but i will anyway.

firstly, the pats taped signals (if you don't believe other teams steal signals, you've probably sent your bank account info via e-mail to a nigerian prince in hopes of him depositing 15 million dollars into your account) not for use during the game, but to study for use later on. it's not like they had a direct video feed that they were analyzing in real time.

pumping crowd noise, if any teams do it (which they do) is directly attempting to distract the visiting team.

if the taping is cheating because it's illegal, then the pumping of crowd nosie is cheating, because it, too, is illegal, and it has an immediate effect, where as the video taping has an effect only on teams stupid enough to not change their hand signals weeks later.

but, of course, the reality is both are silly things that get built up to about 100 times what they're really worth. the belichick taping thing was no big deal, and neither is pumping crowd noise. it's all just bullshit that the media harps on to try to make a story out of nothing.

Last edited:
phillyfan26 said:
I think that Andy Reid makes them play worse anyway, because he's not good at preparing, he doesn't get his players in shape, he doesn't playcall well, etc. And I think his off-the-field stuff has just maximized his weaknesses. I think the problem is that they're not a very good team, and they beat themselves up by being out-of-shape and commiting penalties and a bunch of mental errors (a lot of which are the fault of Reid). And I think that because they are underachieving on a team that's not that good anyway, it's very disheartening and they lack inspiration.
Its an odd situation as Reid coached them to 4 straight NFC title games, and now seems to have lost them. The talent level hasn't dropped off as much as the on field performance has. I don't see it as much first hand, but it looks to me like they need a coaching change to shake things up, regardless of the Reid family issues.

firstly, the pats taped signals not for use during the game, but to study for use later on.

[/gullible]

that said... those of you who are taking the "so what even if they were it's not like it compares to what belichick" road are so full of bono sized crap that it's not even worth discussing

Not really. Don't you think it's a tad hypocritical that the Pats organization themselves were after the league to look into this, when they're the same ones who were charged an astronomical fine just two months ago? It's like a serial killer pointing out a jaywalker.

And, let's face it, now that it's turned out to be the fault of CBS, the Pats have gone from being crybabies, to being overreacting, hypocritical crybabies. Good job. :up:

Bob Kraft wants the NFL rules on fair play to be investigated and applied uniformly. How dare he.

LemonMelon said:

A little late for that.

Are you saying that

1) it's too late because the NFL has already received a satisfactory explanation from CBS? If so, it doesn't mean Kraft was wrong to seek an investigation;

or

2) People who have been convicted of crimes in the past (or crimes exceeding a certain magnitude) have no recourse against those who commit crimes against them? If so, your principles of jurisprudence lead to some disastrous consequences.

LemonMelon said:
And, let's face it, now that it's turned out to be the fault of CBS, the Pats have gone from being crybabies, to being overreacting, hypocritical crybabies. Good job. :up:

Agreed!

My whole argument had NOTHING to do with Pats cheating versus Fake crowd noise. In my eyes, fake crowd noise is A LOT worse! Headache showed that above. IT is the accusations that Pats fans have made against the Colts and Dungy with some lame youtube.com clip. You have completely lampooned any credibility you have ever had with me.

:down:

Again, the Pats have an amazing opportunity to do something only one other teams has done....and that was 35 years ago. The fans are STILL hanging onto a petty (but verified) claim made a former coach who had his ass handed to them. Accept the penalty and move on! Cherish Randy Moss! :D

Hewson said:

Either way, 1 thing for sure is the NFL should outlaw domes and have everyone play in the elements...Vikes haven't been the same since going indoors...nobody wanted to play at Metropolitan Stadium in December let alone January.

It is Nov. 5 and I just arrived on the 16th floor of a downtown hotel....THE WIND is quite blustery!

IF and when it does go, I will not be sad to see the Metrodome go. Any building that smells like you are doing backstrokes in

Hewson said:

It is Nov. 5 and I just arrived on the 16th floor of a downtown hotel....THE WIND is quite blustery!

IF and when it does go, I will not be sad to see the Metrodome go. Any building that smells like you are doing backstrokes in hot dog water is not a pleasant place to sit for a few hours. Nevermind the deafening high-pitched cheers from grade school kids at early spring day games for the Twins. :yikes:

I am looking forward to the Lucas Oil Field/Stadium next year for the Colts. Roofed invented by kitty...so closed for future Pats games so we can have more outrageous accusations! :)

LemonMelon said:
Not really. Don't you think it's a tad hypocritical that the Pats organization themselves were after the league to look into this,

don't you think it's a tad hypocritical that eric mangini is the one that alerted the NFL to the pats taping when he, himself, "benefited" from a practice that every NFL team does in one form or another and is only beneficial against teams coached by absolute morons?

also isn't it a tad hypocritical that these other teams, knowing full well that they've done similar acts, crowed about how the pats wins were tainted in every week up until the week where they played the pats, when they finally shut their mouths because they knew of the ass whooping that was on their way?

please... let's not get into a discussion over hypocrisy in professional sports. professional sports in and of it's self is one huge hypocrisy.

Last edited:
Hewson said:
Its an odd situation as Reid coached them to 4 straight NFC title games, and now seems to have lost them. The talent level hasn't dropped off as much as the on field performance has. I don't see it as much first hand, but it looks to me like they need a coaching change to shake things up, regardless of the Reid family issues.

I think Andy Reid was alright in his first few years: he wasn't spectacular, as they've always been careless with penalties and a poor play-calling team, but they had a few good drafts. His main problem comes from stubborness and arrogance. I'm about to go into a full-fledged rant in the next paragraph, so those who want the short version can just read the last sentence and be done. :wink:

He cares about winning, but not as much as he cares about things going his way and his way only. This really shows in two things: his play-calling and his personnel moves. For the personnel moves, my biggest beef is that he loves to get players and plug them in and try to make it seem like he's some kind of genius finding diamonds in the rough. It started with Five, who he drafted in 1999 and clearly is done. He was hurt going into this year, and he's played poorly. It's time for Kevin Kolb. But that would be admitting a mistake. He can't do that.

He's had others too, with lesser-known guys. He acquired an under-sized linebacker a few years ago named Mark Simoneau, who couldn't play at all. He started at MLB for two years because Reid was so arrogant and convinced he'd found a gem just because Simoneau wasn't completely worthless. He was a small guy who wasn't fast, and really had no upside.

He also loves the undrafted free agent. There's been a guy named Greg Lewis (aka The Tuba Player) who's been around for four years without a speck of athletic ability. Why? Undrafted free agent who Reid tries to pimp as some great spectable because HE found him and no one else did.

The worst, I've found, are more in line with McNabb, though: his draftees. See: Mike Patterson, Brodrick Bunkley, Matt McCoy, Sean Considine, Todd Herremans, Reggie Brown, Correll Buckhalter, Roderick Hood (until last year). All guys who stuck around playing positions that they were under-achieving in or flat out sucked in. Why? Because Reid needs to have them in there to show his genius. The most frustrating have been the defensive tackles Patterson and Bunkley, who have single-handedly destroyed the defense this year. The team can't stop the pass because they get no pressure EVER on the QB. Neither of these guys can play. AND they are out-of-shape (see 97-yard game losing drive against Chicago).

Reid's stubborness with personnel has caused them to have a bunch of under-achievers in there. They don't sign free agents. They always try to fix it with poor draft picks and the undrafted. Which doesn't work unless you know how to draft. Which Reid doesn't.

His playcalling is similar. He loves the screen pass even though Donovan can't throw it. Whenever they throw incomplete on first down, they run on second down. Always. They never run on first down. The run-pass decisions just never add up for the situation, and yet somehow manage to simultaneously be extremely predictable.

Overall, he's an incredibly frustrating coach, because he's stubborn as anything and doesn't have a good system in place do be that stubborn about.

phillyfan26 said:
His playcalling is similar. He loves the screen pass even though Donovan can't throw it. Whenever they throw incomplete on first down, they run on second down. Always. They never run on first down. The run-pass decisions just never add up for the situation, and yet somehow manage to simultaneously be extremely predictable.

His goal-line playcalling infuriates me. Whenever the Eagles manage to get down in the red zone he always seems to call pass-pass-pass. McNabb and the receiving corps being what they are (SHITE), this usually amounts to three straight incompletions and a field goal. It seems like he just doesn't trust Westbrook, one of the better backs in the league when he can get into a rhythm, down near the goal line. For absolutely NO APPARENT REASON.

I've stuck up for him in previous years because he would usually succeed in drawing up a few successful huge plays in most games in the past. But it's like someone chopped off his already miniscule balls during the off-season, and now it's all shovel passes and dives up the middle. There's no variety or aggressiveness to his game any more, and I've got to think opposing coaches really look forward to playing against the Eagles since they're so easy to prepare for.

DaveC said:

His goal-line playcalling infuriates me. Whenever the Eagles manage to get down in the red zone he always seems to call pass-pass-pass. McNabb and the receiving corps being what they are (SHITE), this usually amounts to three straight incompletions and a field goal. It seems like he just doesn't trust Westbrook, one of the better backs in the league when he can get into a rhythm, down near the goal line. For absolutely NO APPARENT REASON.
Do the Eagles have a short yardage back?
Someone like what Jacobs was last year with the Giants or the role Bettis played his last few seasons with the Steelers?
I can't think of anyone who's a big bruiser of a RB (or FB) on the roster like most teams have for goal line and short yardage situations.

Hewson said:
Do the Eagles have a short yardage back?
Someone like what Jacobs was last year with the Giants or the role Bettis played his last few seasons with the Steelers?
I can't think of anyone who's a big bruiser of a RB (or FB) on the roster like most teams have for goal line and short yardage situations.

No. File that one under stubborn roster moves.

The thing is, Westbrook is more than capable of handling those situations and yet he almost never gets the ball there.

just so we're all straight on this entire issue... the guy who first brought up the potential pumping in of crowd noise by the colts was me :wave:

non patriot fan.

it was obviously a technical error on CBS' part. players would have complained or even stopped if they had heard a loud skipping noise inside the dome. no one reacted on the field, it was obviously a CBS error.

that said... those of you who are taking the "so what even if they were it's not like it compares to what belichick" road are so full of bono sized crap that it's not even worth discussing, but i will anyway.

firstly, the pats taped signals (if you don't believe other teams steal signals, you've probably sent your bank account info via e-mail to a nigerian prince in hopes of him depositing 15 million dollars into your account) not for use during the game, but to study for use later on. it's not like they had a direct video feed that they were analyzing in real time.

pumping crowd noise, if any teams do it (which they do) is directly attempting to distract the visiting team.

if the taping is cheating because it's illegal, then the pumping of crowd nosie is cheating, because it, too, is illegal, and it has an immediate effect, where as the video taping has an effect only on teams stupid enough to not change their hand signals weeks later.

but, of course, the reality is both are silly things that get built up to about 100 times what they're really worth. the belichick taping thing was no big deal, and neither is pumping crowd noise. it's all just bullshit that the media harps on to try to make a story out of nothing.

Finally the voice of reason. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom