Need some song recommendations on these artists - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2003, 04:51 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:04 PM
Need some song recommendations on these artists

I need one or two song suggestions for each of these artists..

TATU (I've heard All The Things She Said, and liked it quite a bit, but not interested enough in buying an album.. yet)
Electric Soft Parade
JJ72
Ryan Adams (heard a couple songs -- New York, New York, and Nuclear -- but like above with TATU, I need something more to get excited enough to want to buy it)
Ed Harcourt
Daniel Lanois (just want to get an idea what his music sounds like)
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Silverchair

Thanks.

Old 02-02-2003, 06:40 PM   #2
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 11:04 AM
JJ72 - Snow, Oxygen, October Swimmer
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Love Burns, Whatever Happened to our Rock and Roll, Red Eyes And Tears, Spread Your Love

Old 02-02-2003, 07:17 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:04 PM
I will touch on the Ryan Adams stuff

-anything from Heartbreaker is excellent, you can really tell he is heavily influenced by Dylan on this album
- I really love Dear Chicago from Demolition, great track
- from Gold, Ny, Ny is good, Stars go blue is better, actually I need to listen to this again.....
- if you like Heartbreaker then try Whiskeytown, his first band, lots of great stuff there.....
Old 02-02-2003, 07:48 PM   #4
The Fly

Silverchair--Diorama. The best one. "Neon Ballroom" is great too...ok, everything they've done is good.

Favourite tracks off "Diorama": "Luv Your Life," "The Greatest View," "The Lever," "Tuna In The Brine," "Across The Night," "After All These Years."

The second track on the Ryan Adams cd that has "Nuclear" on it is good.
Old 02-02-2003, 08:18 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:04 PM
Ed Harcourt -- She Fell Into My Arms, Apple of My Eye, Shanghai, I've Become Misguided and if you can find them "Watching the Sun Come Up" and "Alligator Boy" I highly recommend the videos on his site too. His videos are hilarious!

JJ72 -- what u2popmofo said and Algeria and Formulae. I have the new album, but I haven't listened to it yet (just heard Formulae online), so I might have more to recommend later. I LOVED them when I saw them live.

Electric Soft Parade -- Silent to the Dark, Empty at the End, There's a Silence, Can't Get You Out of My Head

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club -- US Government, Waiting Here
Old 02-02-2003, 08:22 PM   #6
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:04 AM
Re: Need some song recommendations on these artists

Ryan Adams--"Call Me On Your Way Back Home," "Answering Bell," "My Winding Wheel" (I'm guessing you've already heard "When the Stars Go Blue")

Daniel Lanois--"Still Water," "The Maker," "Unbreakable Chain", "Under A Stormy Sky"
Old 02-02-2003, 10:12 PM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

*waits for the resident Ryan Adams expert to come in

Heartbreaker is excellent, there is hardly a song on there I don't like.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:33 PM   #8
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
*waits for the resident Ryan Adams expert to come in
*stumbles in, out of breath* Did somebody say "Ryan Adams"???

Most Ryan fans say that Heartbreaker is his best album. Ryan himself has even said such on his message board and during some shows. "Oh My Sweet Carolina" and "Come Pick Me Up" seem to be favorites. I've noticed some fans seem to resent Gold because they think it was a "sell-out" or "mainstream" record, which I think is stupid. My favorite Ryan song is on there, which is "Sylvia Plath", and "La Cienega Just Smiled" may be one of the most beautiful songs ever written. Demolition is my least fave of the three, if I have to rank 'em (I still love it though!), but that was my mom's first Ryan album, and she's crazy over it. "Desire", "Dear Chicago", and "Starting To Hurt" are definitely worth a listen.

Okay, I said more than you wanted to hear, but I get excited when talking about Ryan. I'll shut up now.

*looks at April* I WILL shut up now! I swear!!!

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 02-02-2003, 11:42 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:04 AM
I never get Sylvia Plath...it's a lovely song yes, but what on earth is he singing about?

As for Tatu, they have one of the worst marketing gimmicks ever. They've also managed to mangle the Smiths' How Soon Is Now, and I find them a bit annoying. All The Things She Said is great though. You could try the other single 'Not Gonna Get Us'.
Old 02-02-2003, 11:48 PM   #10
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by yertle-the-turtle
I never get Sylvia Plath...it's a lovely song yes, but what on earth is he singing about?
Mmmm...well, you know how it is about music. Songs mean different things to different people and can have different interpretations. I see it as though he's singing about the perfect woman, but his vision of her is not what most would see as "perfect". Most would view many of the qualities he loves about her as being flaws. A very pretty and sad song...there's definitely a sense of longing.

Of course, that may not be what he intended the song to be seen as...but that's okay.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 02-03-2003, 01:59 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick

Mmmm...well, you know how it is about music. Songs mean different things to different people and can have different interpretations. I see it as though he's singing about the perfect woman, but his vision of her is not what most would see as "perfect". Most would view many of the qualities he loves about her as being flaws. A very pretty and sad song...there's definitely a sense of longing.

Of course, that may not be what he intended the song to be seen as...but that's okay.
Always thought that song was interesting...because to him she's so desireable but actually Sylvia Plath was one of those women who was considered kinda .

anyway....

Ryan Adams: To Be Young, Come Pick Me Up, She Wants to Play Hearts, Dear Chicago, Memories of You, La Cienega Just Smiled, Wild Flowers, Harder Now That It's Over, and Touch, Feel, Lose

Ed Harcourt: Apple of my Eye, Shanghai, God Protect Your Soul, Those Crimson Tears, Hanging WIth the Wrong Crowd

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club: WHatever Happened to My Rock n Roll?, love Burns, Awake, Too Real

Old 02-03-2003, 05:32 AM   #12
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:04 AM
I'm really lame as I only know what Silverchair have done off that list. Their early stuff is heavier I think, but I haven't heard much off Diorama.
From the Frogstomp album, go for Irael's Son, Pure Massacre, Suicidal Dream is a good one, but I dont recommend it if you are sensitive to the subject. It could be upsetting as its rather graphic.
Neon Ballroom's best was Anthem for the year 2000, but I haven't heard that album in a long time so I'll leave it at that and Ana's Song.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:39 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Location: maze of your imagination, where the streets have no name, lol
Local Time: 03:04 AM
JJ72
Old 02-03-2003, 07:39 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yertle-the-turtle

As for Tatu, they have one of the worst marketing gimmicks ever. They've also managed to mangle the Smiths' How Soon Is Now, and I find them a bit annoying.
YES!! I hate that cover!
Old 02-03-2003, 11:27 AM   #15
Bordering Purgatory

Local Time: 11:04 AM
i really wonder if the tatu girls are really just complete marketing tools and not really lesbians.

i will make you hurt