NBA Basketball 2008-09: The Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, is there any way this DOESN'T turn out to be a complete trainwreck? Starbury on the C's...gonna be interesting.

The risk is minimal.
If Marbury becomes any kind of real headache, the C's cut him loose. The financial investment will be very small. The upside for Marbury (possible ring and auditioning for a new contract) is such that he pretty much has to be a good citizen for 4 months.

The risk is minimal.
If Marbury becomes any kind of real headache, the C's cut him loose. The financial investment will be very small. The upside for Marbury (possible ring and auditioning for a new contract) is such that he pretty much has to be a good citizen for 4 months.

That's what I'm hoping.

My concern is not that he'll be a complete douche, because if that's the case then of course they'll cut him loose. I'm a bit more worried about throwing a me guy like Steph into a largely team-first group, and the influence he might have on the younger players. Probably not an issue, and I think the rewards outweigh the risks, but it will bear watching.

The upside for Marbury (possible ring and auditioning for a new contract) is such that he pretty much has to be a good citizen for 4 months.

If there is one person who won't let him get away with that crap, it's Garnett.

you guys make me giggle.

manny ramirez is still a free agent, stephon marbury's existance is being rationalized by celtic fans.

the world is over.

They also were best friends at the time I believe.

They spent a lot of time together and were a nice combo on the court - but not really best friends. KG had his posse (high school friends).

That was a fun team to watch (I think I remember it as starbury, KG, Terry Porter, Sam Mitchell, Wally Szcerbiak, etc.). They lacked a center though.

That was a fun team to watch (I think I remember it as starbury, KG, Terry Porter, Sam Mitchell, Wally Szcerbiak, etc.). They lacked a center though.

Um, they had Dean Garrett... :| I think maybe Stanley Roberts as well.

edit: I looked it up and I lied. It wasn't Stanley Roberts...It was Cherokee Parks! Duh...

But Dean Garrett was right. :yes:

I see no upside for the celtics to bring in a lunatic like Starbury. I hope he fucks up their playoff run somehow.

They spent a lot of time together and were a nice combo on the court - but not really best friends. KG had his posse (high school friends).

wasn't googs on that team as well? or had he been shipped off to phoenix already?

Dear God Cherokee Parks...there's a blast from the past.

Celts lose to the Clippers...the CLIPPERS??? I blame Starbury...see, already the chemistry's shot :wink:

i looked it up... gugliotta was there. he didn't go to phoenix until 98.

googs' dad was my dad's high school gym teacher. tom's story is sorta legend around long island... he was a good player at walt whitman hs, but nothing spectacular. he was only about 6'4"/6'5" and was a wing player. his dad knew jim valvano and got valvano to take a chance on tom... he grew another 5 inches once he got to college and next thing ya know he goes from a kid who only got a d1 look 'cause his dad knows someone to an NBA all star.

Um, they had Dean Garrett... :| I think maybe Stanley Roberts as well.

edit: I looked it up and I lied. It wasn't Stanley Roberts...It was Cherokee Parks! Duh...

But Dean Garrett was right. :yes:

Yeah, although I enjoyed Garrett (they kinda pulled him out of their ass - A.K.A. Europe), he wasn't a real strong center. He wasn't a true "big man." Roberts was, but he sucked. And, really, do I need to comment on Parks? :)

i looked it up... gugliotta was there. he didn't go to phoenix until 98.

googs' dad was my dad's high school gym teacher. tom's story is sorta legend around long island... he was a good player at walt whitman hs, but nothing spectacular. he was only about 6'4"/6'5" and was a wing player. his dad knew jim valvano and got valvano to take a chance on tom... he grew another 5 inches once he got to college and next thing ya know he goes from a kid who only got a d1 look 'cause his dad knows someone to an NBA all star.

I loved Googs. I forgot about him. I especially loved listening to the Wolves broadcasts when Kevin Harlan was the radio guy. "googly oogly ooogly-iotta for three."

I did not know he was from Long Island. The wolves had Googs from the Island, and then Wally.

I like Wally.

Sounds a lot like Mike Piazza's story.

Welcome to Boston Starbury

Apparently Steph has signed and will be in practice tonight :corn:

Nice win for the TMac-less Rockets last night, I think that's 6 in a row for them.

RIP Johnny "Red" Kerr and Norm Van Lier.

Two true Bulls legends passing in a 24 hour period. That shit is brutal.

I did not know he was from Long Island. The wolves had Googs from the Island, and then Wally.

I like Wally.

wally's a bit of a douchebag. suffers from ithinkmyshitdon'tstink disease.

never met googs. i don't think he spent much time back on the island after joining the nba.

dr. j's from long island too. went to roosevelt high school, which was forever immortalized in howard stern's "private parts."

Friday night is why the Cavs aren't winning the championship. Perfect opportunity to solidify home court in the east...no KG, Rondo banged up, half the bench injured, Big Baby tossed, Cleveland in the bonus 2 minutes into the 4th...and yet they get spanked. I loved it, big time sack-up by the champs.

The Cavs won't win the title owing to the Lakers. Just a few months ago Cleveland handled Boston at the Q without Z - whoever has homecourt in the Cleveland-Boston matchup, if it transpires, will take the series. The home team has won something like 15 of the last games between those two.

I'm really shocked at how well Boston has done without KG. Having said that, they wouldn't win a series against the other contenders with him missing.

And speaking of contenders, the Spurs aren't really making a case for themselves tonight.

Wow, that turned into a nailbiter. Then there was a nice dagger in the heart courtesy of Kobe near the end, followed by a complete WTF breakdown by the Spurs who wasted like the entire shot cock trying to score a 3 when they were only 5 points down. Morons.

Also, I don't know if I made this clear before, but I despise the Spurs maybe more than any other professional sports franchise. So this was a nice win to watch.

The only team I dislike watching more than the Spurs are the Pistons. Dear Christ, even when they're at their lowest point this season, they've still got the Magic's number. Absolutely ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom