NBA Basketball 2007-08: The Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CTU2fan said:

I really think they've got something good going down here. And yeah, the C's big guys were really pounding Howard; I'm sure the plan was just a variation on the old hack-a-Shaq, though as you say it's rare to see him lose focus like that.

I had never seen as many useless big men on a team before. They're all goons with the exception of Kevin Garnett.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I had never seen as many useless big men on a team before. They're all goons with the exception of Kevin Garnett.

Well, they gave up Al Jefferson, Robert Parish, and Bill Russell in the Garnett deal...

True, true, but Dwight's been trying to develop a jumpshot and some real offensive moves.

Either way, the Magic are a fun team to watch right now, and barring injury could be a Top 4 team in the East... or at least the best team in their division.

Thank you, Ron Jeremy.

Definitely, but he's almost there and Jameer Nelson is no Steve Nash either.

Newsday.com
Rieber: Time for Stern to suspend Dolan
BY ANTHONY RIEBER

anthony.rieber@newsday.com

12:34 PM EST, November 20, 2007

Well, look who's back in town. It's your New York Knicks, who will be at Madison Square Garden on Tuesday night to play the Golden State Warriors.

I thought I smelled something.

The Knicks, coming off their 0-4 Western trip and with a 2-7 record, should expect to hear many boos. Many, many boos. Some of them directed Stephon Marbury's way, no doubt. It will make Knicks fans feel good. It will accomplish nothing.

Maybe there'll be a "Fire Isiah" chant. Those are always fun. That will accomplish nothing either.

There is only one person whose removal from the premises can save the Knicks. There is only one person who can remove this person.

It's time for David Stern to suspend James Dolan from any involvement with the Knicks for his part in the Anucha Browne Sanders sexual harassment trial. For how long? For as long as the NBA commissioner can. Let Dolan sue if he wants to. What's Dolan's record in lawsuits?

Right. 0-1.

Only with Daddy's Little Dictator out of the picture can the Knicks ever climb back to respectability. Stern has to be embarrassed about the state of one of the league's marquee franchises; we don't have to go through everything that's happened at 33rd and Seventh. You already know it all.

So does Stern. Logic would indicate he has already tried to pressure Cablevision head Charles Dolan, James' father, to send his son out to the NBA woodshed. Fat chance. Papa Dolan has the same blind spot as most parents do. Either that, or he wants to keep Jimmy at MSG so he doesn't have to deal with him at the cable company, which is the business' real money-maker.

Bumping off Thomas isn't enough. That's going to happen eventually, and as one who has seen Isiah up close and personal this season, let me assure you he will be very happy to be shown the door and given a big, fat MSG severance check. Thomas may be nervous about where his next job will be, but that doesn't mean he wants to continue to preside over this mess. He's ready to go.

Stern can't let that happen. He can't let Dolan make Thomas the fall guy for his own ineptitude. Remember, it was Stern who said in an ESPN interview on the eve of the season that the Knicks' handling of the Browne Sanders lawsuit "demonstrates that they're not a model of intelligent management. There were many checkpoints along the way where more decisive action would have eliminated this issue."

Good zinger, commish, but where's the action from you? In the same interview, Stern rattled his sword, saying, "I'm not considering any range of disciplinary action, but my powers are very broad if I choose to exercise them."

Choose. Exercise. Be broad.

Suspend Dolan indefinitely for presiding over a culture of muck and endorsing Browne Sanders' firing. Even if you don't buy the jury's verdict that Thomas sexually harassed Browne Sanders – I think the jury got that part wrong, but Stern and I both have to respect the whole verdict – there's no doubt Browne Sanders was fired for raising the issue in the first place.

Either way, suspended or eventually fired, Thomas goes. But that won't fix the Knicks.

Dolan has to be banned from his courtside seat and his throne in the Knicks' boardroom. Remember, it was Dolan who during his deposition said, "All decisions at the Garden, I make on my own." Stern has to hold him accountable for his words.

If Isiah's gone and Jimmy's out of the way, and the blood isn't on daddy Charles' hands, then Stern can call Charles and "help" the Knicks find someone to run the franchise. I don't know who that someone is, but Rod Thorn went from the league office to run the Nets and that's worked out well. Stern must have someone stashed over there at NBA headquarters who can rescue this franchise.

Stern is a lawyer, so it should hearten him to know there is precedent for this sort of maneuver involving commissioners and two of New York's more stable franchises.

In 1979, NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle recommended George Young to run the Giants to settle a feud between the team's owners. The result was two Super Bowl titles under Bill Parcells.

In 1990, baseball commissioner Fay Vincent suspended George Steinbrenner for his involvement in the Howie Spira/Dave Winfield affair. With The Boss out of the picture, the Yankees allowed their farm system to flourish and returned to prominence under general manager Stick Michael and manager Buck Showalter. The four World Series championships of the Joe Torre era followed.

So when should Stern lift Dolan's indefinite suspension? That one's easy:

The day after the Knicks win their next NBA championship.

I was talking to a man from originally from Detroit that works in the school I visit. We were talking about how Thomas is such an idiot, while his former teammate Joe Dumars seems to be such a class guy.

Even Bill Laimbeer is doing better than Thomas...and he's in the WNBA!

sorry ladies

i understand at this point i'm talking to myself but my word if that wasn't the most painful press conference i've ever seen.

:hi5:

reporter: isiah what do you think of the fans chanting?

isiah: they were right

reporter: umm... so when you siad they were right, did you mean with the boos or with the chanting?

isiah: ummm humina humina humina poop

Wow, Ariza was my favorite Magic player behind Dwight Howard, but with Keith Bogan's stellar play, they cancel each other out. I hope Brian Cook and Mo Evans bring something to the table.

Oh, and Bo Outlaw got waived to. Sure he's a good "locker room guy," but who cares?

randhail said:
^ you are the king of the :hi5: smiley
The David Puddy of Interference

200px-Seinfeld_s9e11.jpg

Wow, who's fallen further than Isiah Thomas? Ike had an excellent rep as a player, but it's all but forgotten with his ineptitude during his Knicks tenure. Sad really.

CTU2fan said:
Wow, who's fallen further than Isiah Thomas? Ike had an excellent rep as a player, but it's all but forgotten with his ineptitude during his Knicks tenure. Sad really.

It's not like he murdered the CBA or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom