NBA 2012-13 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Care to name another team where all 5 starters were out with injuries for extended lengths of time? 2 of them of knocked out right before playoffs for rest of season?

How many games were all 5 healthy enough to play? Not many at all.

And yes, Kobe probably brought this one on himself by pushing too hard. But all of this together still seems very unlucky to me.

I'd say rather than unlucky they are a team who made a curious coaching choice that has been a disaster style wise. Why you would take a team built primarily around older players and bring in a Dantoni with an up tempo system is beyond me. Its a recipe for injuries. And Kobe playing the entire game because they need to win to make the playoffs is just fuel to the injury fire. To me the coaching is as big a reason for the team breaking down as any. Not saying Kobe wouldn't have blown out his achilles if he had spent 10 minutes on the bench last night, but clearly Dantoni has been riding him like a mule and it caught up to him.

You want unlucky, try a situation like last year's Celtics team which had two players go out for the season for open heart surgery...thats bad luck.

Yeah, the roster and coaching style was begging for injuries to occur. That's not bad luck. That's inevitability.

692360d1335522109-introduction-me-my-new-watch-evil-agent-smith.jpg

And yes, Kobe probably brought this one on himself by pushing too hard. But all of this together still seems very unlucky to me.

An Achilles tear can be caused by overuse, or it can be totally random. Athletes Kobe's age are more likely to have it occur, but it can happen to a 22 year old walking down the street as well.

It'll be interesting to see if the trainers were treating him for Achilles tendonitis or another ankle injury before the snap occurred. Cortisone shots can cause the tendons to weaken.

Or it could be completely random.

I don't discount that Kobe will try his ass off to return... but it'll be fascinating to see how he handles never being able to be the same player again.

The smart business move for the Lakers would be to amnesty him this off season. That would also be the scummy thing to do and the Lakers would get killed by press and fans alike. So we'll see what happens.

So is it that he will lack his previous explosiveness when he comes back from this injury? It seems like he could still be a valuable scorer, especially if paired up with someone who can give him easy looks.

So is it that he will lack his previous explosiveness when he comes back from this injury? It seems like he could still be a valuable scorer, especially if paired up with someone who can give him easy looks.

He will be slower, and less explosive. And at his age, with all those seasons and deep playoff runs, and National team runs... Rehab will be a bitch.

But the issue isn't that he won't be a physically capable player... It's that he's spent his entire career as a guy who dominates the ball. He will not be able to be that guy anymore. The question is will one of the most stubborn players in history be able to handle that, or will he return and think he's going to play the same way?

That, even more than the physical toll, is the biggest question.

Any decent small forward prospects in the draft this year? The Cavs are in desperate need of some help at that position.

Some pretty exciting series coming up. OKC vs Rockets should be entertaining, and Clippers vs Grizzlies will be very competitive, I think. Knicks vs Celtics, Spurs vs. Lakers and Nets vs Bulls should also be good.

Agreed with all of the above, except for Houston/OKC. That one doesn't get me going as much. But yes...some good shit starting this weekend. Go Bulls, Go Lakers.

Any decent small forward prospects in the draft this year? The Cavs are in desperate need of some help at that position.

Oh yes. As headache mentioned, you've got Otto Porter. And then there are a few other talented cats that could potentially fit at the small forward position:

Victor Oladipo, who I'm very high on. Probably more of a 2 guard because of his height, but I really think he's gonna be a good one, and he'll be able to defend a lot of NBA small forwards.

Glenn Robinson III

Shabazz Muhammed
Etc.

Porter is the best bet at the Cavs position, though.

Agreed with all of the above, except for Houston/OKC. That one doesn't get me going as much. But yes...some good shit starting this weekend. Go Bulls, Go Lakers.

I think it will be somewhat one-sided, but the games will be so fast paced that they should provide entertainment.

Oh yes. As headache mentioned, you've got Otto Porter. And then there are a few other talented cats that could potentially fit at the small forward position:

Victor Oladipo, who I'm very high on. Probably more of a 2 guard because of his height, but I really think he's gonna be a good one, and he'll be able to defend a lot of NBA small forwards.

Glenn Robinson III

Shabazz Muhammed
Etc.

Porter is the best bet at the Cavs position, though.

Yeah, just a cursory glance at the mock drafts have most of the top prospects as 2s, so I think the Cavs should be able to get Porter even if they land at the 4 or 5 pick. I think Waiters can be a long-term answer at 2, so I'd like the Cavs not to go that route in the draft.

This is fun (got this from another board):

This will be the first time since 2004 that the home team will have won every opening round game one. That year, the NBA champion was a 54 win team that had the second best record in the Eastern Conference and had Rasheed Wallace shoot 22/69 from three point range. This year there is a certain 54 win team that had the second best record in the Eastern Conference and had Rasheed Wallace shoot 22/69 from three point range…

Tough luck for OKC. Miami will probably face no obstruction on its way to the title.

Back
Top Bottom