National Hockey League 2012-13

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tim Thomas to the Isles for a second round pick.

Good move for the Bruins, he was never going to play here again, frees up cap space and get a little something in return.

He'll probably like the political landscape on Long Island, how long till the Isles move to Crooklyn? He may not like it there as much.

Yeah its mostly a financial move for both teams. Thomas claims he wants to play next year, but he'll be 39 and won't have played for a year and a half so the odds aren't great, but if he does, the Bruins get a pick, if not, his salary is off the books, which may be critical if they need to add somebody later.

It's a cap move for both teams - frees up space for Boston and allows the Islanders to reach the floor by Friday's deadline. And because Thomas is on hiatus, the Islanders can use his cap hit next season, too (even though his contract expires on July 1) or trade his rights to another team that needs to artificially reach the cap floor.

The NHL: where you can't bury contracts in the minors anymore, so you bury them in the Islanders.

Reaching the cap floor can be achieved by overpaying your roster players. Doesn't need a 2nd round pick. Poor management on the is Islanders... what's new?

Reaching the cap floor can be achieved by overpaying your roster players. Doesn't need a 2nd round pick. Poor management on the is Islanders... what's new?

Dude...it's a CONDITIONAL pick, meaning they only give it up if Thomas plays 1 game for the Islanders, which is not happening. This was a purely electronic transaction for both parties.

I knew if that game went to the shootout the Panthers would win and it wouldn't be close... (not very smart running Matt Read in the shootout, unless there's something I don't know about him...?).

We're historically a notoriously bad shootout team, but the additions of Huberdeau, Mueller, and Kovalev had the potential to turn that around in a flash. All three of them have beautiful hands. That Huberdeau goal was freaking crazy -- we haven't scored a shootout goal like that in a long, long time.

Giroux and Briere are the locks, but they are almost always second and third. Simmonds did some last season but he's hurt. Not sure who elsr Lavy would send out there, honestly.

And yeah, everyone knew it was over. Theodore vs. Bryz in a shootout is not even a contest.

Dude...it's a CONDITIONAL pick, meaning they only give it up if Thomas plays 1 game for the Islanders, which is not happening. This was a purely electronic transaction for both parties.

Ah, my mistake.

Still doesn't explain why the Islanders would rather pay someone to not play than to just pay someone to play...

They probably won't go after expensive players until they leave Nassau County.

Right but what I'm saying is... why not throw an overpriced 1 year contract at a position player who could help your team in order to reach the cap floor? Why would you ever want to be paying someone to not play? Inefficient. It's like paying for gasoline that you're going to leave on the side of the rather than put in your car.

Let's all rank our 5 favorite NHL jerseys.

I'll start:

1. Blackhawks
2. Canadiens
3. Penguins
4. Sharks
5. Oilers

Depends what we're looking at here.

For example -- on the ice a Florida Panther jersey is sharp. On a fan, it looks ridiculous.

I tend to be a big fan of the classic Penguins jersey for a fan jersey though. On the ice though.. hmm...

1. Canadiens
2. Rangers
3. Blues
4. Sharks
5. Blackhawks

The Kings' jersey from the Gretzky era was one of the coolest ever. Being an Islander fan, I've always liked their sweaters EXCEPT, of course, the infamous "fishsticks" sweater.

I like the Islanders black one, but not the blue one or white one. I'm just not a fan of the color scheme to begin with (go figure).

islanders_fisherman.jpg

Gorton%252527s%252520Logo_thumb%25255B3%25255D.jpg

Funny thing is I liked the color scheme of the Isles' fisherman shirts, just needed a better logo.
(Did they ever get sued by Gorton's? an obvious ripoff)

1212_03_69_web.jpg

I like the Islanders black one, but not the blue one or white one. I'm just not a fan of the color scheme to begin with (go figure).

The black one has grown on me.

Hewson, the reason they weren't sued was because they switched back to the old logo as soon as the NHL allowed them to. I dug the jersey design, but the logo was shit of course. At least the Isles' heart was in the right place. They wanted to pay homage to the fisherman of Long Island.

After 16 years serving as head coach, Buffalo has fired Lindy Ruff.

I sincerely hope they offered him the chance to step down.

Back
Top Bottom