Moving in before Marriage - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2003, 09:50 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:09 PM
I didnt, been together for almost 3 weeks now too....

just my opinion, but why would you buy the cow if you can get the milk for free?

Old 10-01-2003, 10:02 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:09 AM
I lived with my husband after we got engaged. We were both moving across the country, and it seemed absurd to get separate apartments when the only people we knew in our new town was each other. I'm glad I did. When I got married, I knew I could trust him financially, and I knew what it would be like to run a household with him. We're now coming up on three years of marriage, five years of living together, and all is well.

Old 10-01-2003, 11:28 AM   #18
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis Presley
I didnt, been together for almost 3 weeks now too....

just my opinion, but why would you buy the cow if you can get the milk for free?

3 weeks? ha give it time kidding...

Why buy the cow? Because its a marriage, marriage is a bond for life, just living together isnt. I dont really know how to explain what I want to say though *need more coffee*
Old 10-01-2003, 11:43 AM   #19
Neon Zebra

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
I am a believer that its better to live with someone before you marry. You get a better idea of what to expect and if its what's right for you.

I lived with someone in the past and I'm glad I did because if I didnt I might have married him and made the biggest mistake of my life
as usual, sicy is absolutely right. it's like a very long test drive. try before you buy.

i have been married and i have lived with someone. neither worked out.

i just haven't found the right guy yet.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:45 AM   #20
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:09 AM
I dont think the act of living together necessarily implies a different view of marriage. Sometimes, perhaps it does. Infact, surely in some cases it does. Its my view that anyone I choose to live with (hopefully this wont ever be relevant again lol) would be someone I have every intention of marrying. Way before the marriage takes place, I would hope that I view the relationship with every necessary attitude I feel is paramount to a successful relationship beit marriage or a long term commitment. I dont think marriage itself gives something that other long standing relationships don't simply because it is a marriage or you actually live together. If the individuals give all that marriage aims to do, which is absolute dedication and commitment, love and respect yada yada, then you are heading for a successful one. Living arrangements and address can not matter.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:22 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan

for marriage, there is always a divorce

I dont think thats the attitude to take when your considering marriage You should think of it as a lifetime commitment, like Sicy said

Quote:
Because its a marriage, marriage is a bond for life
Old 10-01-2003, 01:39 PM   #22
Acrobat

Living with someone is a good step to take before actually going the full course. I'm going to ask my girl to move in with me soon. I may also pop the question eventually lol
Old 10-01-2003, 01:48 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:09 PM
Why buy the cow ever? It's cheaper to rent the women for the time you need them. Remember, you don't pay'em to stay, you pay'em to leave.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:38 PM   #24
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Old 10-01-2003, 04:25 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:09 AM
**cass throws rice**
I've been wondering how ouizy is...anyone heard from him? I hope he posts a pic when/if he returns. My invitation obviously got lost in the mail
There are many ways of living a life, what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another....but it does require work. I lived with my husband for 6 months before we got married and we celebrated our 22nd wedding anniversary last July.
I have just stayed at the beach on the local annual "women's camp" and sitting around the fire listening to the heart-breaking stories some of the women told and hearing about the children"damaged" by bad relationships...I just could not wait to get home and tell my darlin' how much he means to me. The women keep saying I'm lucky in my marriage( I don't tell stories in person like I do here, I just listen)
It has nothing to do with luck, we work at it...it's worth the effort.

btw tackle berry...why are you asking? doing some research? thinking of taking the plunge?

anyway, blessings on Mr and Mrs Ouizy.
to the bride and groom
slainte
Old 10-01-2003, 05:06 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
Why buy the cow ever? It's cheaper to rent the women for the time you need them. Remember, you don't pay'em to stay, you pay'em to leave.

i REALLY hope your joking.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:24 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by icelle

i REALLY hope your joking.

Probably not
Old 10-01-2003, 08:34 PM   #28
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 12:09 PM
i think it's up to the couple, but i wouldn't condemn anyone who did live together before marriage. my best friend and her fiance are planning on moving in together before they get married.

i think maybe another factor in the divorce statistic someone mentioned is this, that there are some who have a certain set of beliefs, such as that it isn't okay to move in together at all. they may also believe that under no circumstances can a couple be divorced. i'm not saying everyone who doesn't think it's right to live together before marriage thinks this, but that there may be some. just wanted to clarify that to avoid misinterpretation.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:19 PM   #29
Babyface

Location: Western Maryland. aka where you're born, but never where you die.
Local Time: 01:09 PM
i think you really have to decide on a case-by-case basis. look at Larry. he's not married, and he's been with Ann for how long? how many kids they got? it really does depend on the people. some people would be wonderful married, but just don't see the need for formalities.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:50 AM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 04:39 AM

I lived with my boyfriend/fiance for about 6 years before we actually got around to getting married. I moved out with him as soon as I turned 21 and despite the ups and downs I wouldn't change a thing.
I could never imagine making what is meant to be a lifelong commitment of marraige without knowing everything about a person - and I think you need to live together to find out all the nitty - gritty stuff.
I think if a marraige is going to fail its got nothing to do with living together - the relationship just obviously wasn't meant to be.
Cheers,
Mandy