Monster, The Netherlands Superthread - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #121
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Vox View Post
Yeah, it's placement is a bit odd, I can't think of anywhere it could really go EXCEPT a B-Side. Though it really does belong on an album, I think.

Drowning Man is probably my favourite song on War, but it's placement is also pretty whack, now that you mention it. I never did pay much attention to the placement of the tracks on there since, ya know, I don't listen to it much. I'd go as far as I say it's my least favourite U2 album, period. I would just rather listen to other albums.
If the album had 11OTT, you could do TEC --> 11OTT --> Ocean to close it out, and you'd even get the traditional pairing of 11OTT and The Ocean that U2 used live, but then what to do with SATT? It's a more natural closer anyway, so I favour TEC --> 11OTT --> SATT and use The Ocean as a b-side to 11OTT.

God, I could never rank War that low. Not when it has songs like NYD, Like A Song, and Drowning Man, each one of which is individually superior to all of ATYCLB and HTDAAB combined. I rank War sixth, below October but above Zooropa.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #122
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
If the album had 11OTT, you could do TEC --> 11OTT --> Ocean to close it out, and you'd even get the traditional pairing of 11OTT and The Ocean that U2 used live, but then what to do with SATT? It's a more natural closer anyway, so I favour TEC --> 11OTT --> SATT and use The Ocean as a b-side to 11OTT.

God, I could never rank War that low. Not when it has songs like NYD, Like A Song, and Drowning Man, each one of which is individually superior to all of ATYCLB and HTDAAB combined. I rank War sixth, below October but above Zooropa.
Is it bad that it takes me a minute to figure out what all these abbreviations mean?

I do simply because even though it has songs I like on it, overall, it is the last album I'd listen to. Yeah, I think that ATYCLB and HTDAAB musically aren't as good as a lot of their other stuff, but overall is what I count, whether or not I can listen to the entire thing without turning it off. For example, the ONLY song I don't like from ATYCLB is Wild Honey. That song just pisses me off. It's so fucking random and doesn't even belong on the album. Not to mention I don't like it as a song anyway. I don't like a few tracks on HTDAAB but I think I could listen to it (all the way through) before War without tearing my hair out. I don't think ATYCLB is as good as say, UF musically and the only reason it earned my favourite album rank is because of the personal ties behind it.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #123
Vocal parasite

OK, keeping myself awake isn't working. Have a good one, folks. It's been fun today.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-03-2008, 11:41 AM   #124
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
You're not into Boy either?
I just can't really look at Boy or October as anything meaningful ( I think I have the bad habit of pushing off anything remotely punk as forgettable). They're good fun albums, but If I'm in the mood for serious music listening, I would never turn to either of them. This is not to say that I don't LIKE either album, but I hardly ever find a reason I would turn to listen to them, except for U2 listening parties/obsession with U2 exploding again. understandable?
Old 08-03-2008, 11:42 AM   #125
Blue Crack Distributor

i knew if I wrote all that it would be to the discovery that Ax has gone to bed
Old 08-03-2008, 11:43 AM   #126
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Vox View Post
Is it bad that it takes me a minute to figure out what all these abbreviations mean?

I do simply because even though it has songs I like on it, overall, it is the last album I'd listen to. Yeah, I think that ATYCLB and HTDAAB musically aren't as good as a lot of their other stuff, but overall is what I count. For example, the ONLY song I don't like from ATYCLB is Wild Honey. That song just pisses me off. It's so fucking random and doesn't even belong on the album. Not to mention I don't like it as a song anyway. I don't like a few tracks on HTDAAB but I think I could listen to it (all the way through) before War without tearing my hair out. I don't think ATYCLB is as good as say, UF musically and the only reason it earned my favourite album rank is because of the personal ties behind it.
I seriously think in abbreviations and throw them around without even thinking about it.

See, I don't think Wild Honey is that bad. It's a bit of summery fun. Certainly hardly as bad as the inane idiocy of In A Little While or the over-obvious bollocks of Peace On Earth or the radio-sanitised Stuck. Wild Honey would probably make more sense if Flower Child and Summer Rain were also on the album. Why they chose Wild Honey of those three to represent that style and vibe is beyond me, though, since the other two are both better-written. It's like U2 have something against well-written songs this decade. See: Native Son brutalised into Vertigo, and Smile's omission from HTDAAB. Seriously, U2 are the LAST people who should be judging their own work since they are so consistently wrong.

Anyway, I'm really out this time.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-03-2008, 11:45 AM   #127
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I just can't really look at Boy or October as anything meaningful ( I think I have the bad habit of pushing off anything remotely punk as forgettable). They're good fun albums, but If I'm in the mood for serious music listening, I would never turn to either of them. This is not to say that I don't LIKE either album, but I hardly ever find a reason I would turn to listen to them, except for U2 listening parties/obsession with U2 exploding again. understandable?
You say this and yet praise an album with TENTH TENTH TENTH TENTH TENTH Avenue Freeze Out.

I'm surprised you dismiss it and punk so quickly though, given how the better bands often had some of the strongest and most powerful socio-political lyrics. The Clash being a good example. U2 not so much, given Bono was still finding his stride, but hell, they haven't written a song this decade as good as Gloria or Twilight or The Electric Co.

... bah, damn addictive thread!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-03-2008, 11:48 AM   #128
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:15 AM
I love Smile.

Night Axver! I'm going as well so I can order lunch. Think I'll go see a movie. Later folks!
Old 08-03-2008, 11:52 AM   #129
Blue Crack Distributor

I can't hear lyrics cause I can't abide the music
I guess you can bash on Tenth Av if you must But a Change was made uptown and the bigman joined the band, don't forget that now, because it's the most important part
Old 08-03-2008, 12:00 PM   #130
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:15 AM
Boo ATYCLB and HTDAAB bashing

ATYCLB was my first U2 album and still is one of my favourites, Wild Honey always puts me in a good mood

The Bomb is one of their "least good" albums but I still think it's a pretty great collection of songs; One Step Closer, City, Original
Old 08-03-2008, 12:05 PM   #131
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm glad I'm not the nly one here who loves ATYCLB how goes it John??
Old 08-03-2008, 12:12 PM   #132
Blue Crack Addict

Of course you're not, there's a few of us freaks around

I'm good, not getting up to much, how about you?
Old 08-03-2008, 12:33 PM   #133
Blue Crack Distributor

Not up to much, just playing Age of Empires, and listening to The National in a depressed manner
Old 08-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #134
Blue Crack Addict

They're top of your last.fm by now aren't they?
Old 08-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #135
Blue Crack Distributor

Oh I'm sure they'll be passing U2's near 4,000 plays anyday now

Tags
superthread