MLP 2K5 Playoff edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i wasnt trying to make a big deal out of this, i simply stated how its kind of funny to see a fan of a team post something that mocks another team that actually did better than them.

it would be like me mocking the red sox after they swept the cardinals last year. just wouldn't make sense.

anywho, carry on i suppose.

Well I got the impression you were making a big deal chizip, and I don't appreciate having my humility questioned either

So what if they did better, the Red Sox did last year and that didn't stop Yankee fans and other fans from mocking the Red Sox :shrug:

I won't "carry on" anymore, this forum seems to have no sense of humor..

I'm not "testy" about losing, like other people have said it's not healthy. If you want to construe it that way, well "carry on"

speedracer said:
I love it when Headache dusts my balls

HBDS.gif

The Yankees didn't exactly do better than the Sox. The won a single playoff while the Sox didn't. La-di-freaking-da. Neither team won the American League or the World Series. They both finished as losers.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
the headline next to the picture of a-rod with "f-rod" written on it says "PRIEST MADE ME GAY"

let's not use the new york post as an example...

Wait...you're a New Yorker...you can't decide that.:wink:

Chizip said:
i wasnt trying to make a big deal out of this, i simply stated how its kind of funny to see a fan of a team post something that mocks another team that actually did better than them.

They both lost the ALDS. Who cares how many games you win if you don't take the series?

I don't think the Yankees did any better, really.

randhail said:
The Yankees didn't exactly do better than the Sox. The won a single playoff while the Sox didn't. La-di-freaking-da. Neither team won the American League or the World Series. They both finished as losers.

Typical Red Sox answer... when I am 100% sure that they would use the exact opposing argument if they would have lost 3-2 and the Yankees would have gotten swept.

U2@NYC said:

Typical Red Sox answer... when I am 100% sure that they would use the exact opposing argument if they would have lost 3-2 and the Yankees would have gotten swept.

You've got it all sorted out.

whatever, all i know is that last October 30 I was at a parade and as Bill Simmons said: "somewhere there is a 5 year-old Yankee fan wondering if he'll ever see the Yankees win a title"

ah good times :wink:

Exiting Yankees, Stottlemyre takes shots at Steinbrenner
By RONALD BLUM, AP Sports Writer
October 12, 2005

NEW YORK (AP) -- Almost certain he's stepping down after 10 years as New York Yankees pitching coach, Mel Stottlemyre had harsh words Wednesday for George Steinbrenner and the owner's treatment of manager Joe Torre.

Speaking in the Yankees clubhouse where he's spent 21 seasons as a player and coach, Stottlemyre said he interpreted Steinbrenner's statement following the Yankees' elimination by the Los Angeles Angels as a slap at Torre. Steinbrenner said Tuesday: ``I congratulate the Angels and their manager on the great job they've done.''

``I laughed when I saw it,'' Stottlemyre said. ``My first thoughts were, `What about Joe? Joe had done a hell of a job, too.' To congratulate the other manager and not congratulate your own after what he'd done this year, I laughed.''

A Yankees coach since Torre took over as manager following the 1995 season, Stottlemyre criticized the schism between the team's New York and Tampa, Fla., offices and said Torre's job status shouldn't be questioned.

``I think it's absolutely ridiculous,'' he said. ``I've been here with Joe for 10 years and this has by far been the toughest year for him, and it's the best job he's done. He's done a good job year in and year out -- this year the job he's done was really special because he had a lot of things to battle through.''

Steinbrenner had nothing to say Wednesday, spokesman Howard Rubenstein said.

Torre, signed through 2007 and owed $13.1 million, did not appear in the clubhouse Wednesday, and Yankees spokesman Rick Cerrone was unsure when the manager would make his end-of-season summation.

General manager Brian Cashman, whose contract expires at the end of the month, also wasn't in the clubhouse and didn't return a telephone call.

Third base coach Luis Sojo said that after the Angels beat the Yankees 5-3 in Game 5 on Monday night in Anaheim and advanced to the AL championship series, Alex Rodriguez came to the coaches' room and apologized for his hitting .133 (2-for-15) with no RBIs in the playoffs.

``He blamed himself,'' Sojo said. ``I think he took it personal. ... He said, `I'm sorry, guys.' ... He felt like he let us down.''

Speaking as clubhouse attendants packed boxes of players' belongings and equipment, Stottlemyre revealed that he decided to resign in May, which is when criticism began as the Yankees slumped to an 11-19 start, their worst in 39 seasons.

Stottlemyre has threatened to leave after several seasons but came back each time. He said the second-guessing had a ``cumulative'' affect over the years.

``I found it weighed a little bit on my thinking off the field. Basically, that's why I made my mind up,'' he said.

``It's a very difficult decision, but I guess I didn't forget very easily what went on during the course of the year,'' he added, his voice filling with emotion.

Without going into specifics, he made clear there was a split between the team's two offices.

``Sometimes you have to satisfy two separate groups of people, and it shouldn't be that way. It should be you should just have to satisfy one group,'' Stottlemyre said. ``Something needs to be done to have everybody always on the same page.''

He said that if he spoke to potential replacements for himself, he wasn't sure whether he would recommend the job. He also said criticism got to Torre during this season.

``I think it affected him a little bit more this year, much the same way it did me,'' he said. ``I think after a period of time it's going to wear on anybody.''

While he hasn't spoken with Steinbrenner since spring training, Stottlemyre said criticism had filtered down. He said he would give the owner advice if Steinbrenner would listen.

``Nothing I would like more than (to) sit down 30 minutes for a conversation with him. He'd probably understand how I feel,'' Stottlemyre said. ``That won't happen.''

He contrasted his departure with that of bench coach Don Zimmer, who criticized Steinbrenner when he left after the 2003 season.

``I'm leaving happy,'' Stottlemyre said. ``It may not sound like I am. Zimmer didn't leave happy. In that sense it's much different.''

Only a few players were in the clubhouse to clean out their lockers. Reliever Tanyon Sturtze talked about the team's charter flight home after the final loss, a departure delayed for 3 1/2 hours at the Ontario, Calif., airport by mechanical problems, then interrupted by a stop in Houston to change crews.

``That was the most miserable night ever,'' he said.

Notes

Sturtze plans to have an MRI exam of his right shoulder to make sure there's no problem. The shoulder bothered him at times during the second half of the season, but not at the end. ... Bench coach Joe Girardi had his second interview Monday for the Florida Marlins' managerial job.

Updated on Wednesday, Oct 12, 2005 6:15 pm ED

:hmm:

If that had happened to either Boston or New York, there would have been rioting and the ump would've already received death threats. He's lucky in Anaheim the majority of people could care less.

The ump f'd up.....but within minutes of the game ending it didn't mean jackshit to me. My bigger frustration last night was with Vlad who needs to find his fucking bat. And Figgins needs to step up on the offensive side as well.

if we completely ignore the facts that

--catchers are told that on any third strike in the dirt they should tag the batter regardless of wether they caught the ball or not.
--anaheim's catcher (paul is it?) had his back to the umpire and didn't see the infamous fist pump, yet tossed the ball back to the mound anyways, despite never hearing the umpire say the words "you're out."
--the batter, who was looking at the umpire and ran after a good 2 seconds to first base, is, in fact, a catcher, who interpreted the umpire's actions as meaning he wasn't out yet.

if we completely ignore all of that... which every sports writer in america seems to be doing... and we just assume that the umpire is a stupid doo doo head who completely fucked up the call and no one else is to blame whatsoever... then the ump still didn't cost the angels the game.

blown calls, missed calls, etc. happen all the time. the simple fact of the matter is that if escobar gets the next out, then no one ever talks about the umpire's missed call again. but that didn't happen... ozuna stole second, and crede got a double to win the game. we're not exactly talking about mickey mantle getting a hit here... we're talking about joe crede. get him out, and the game continues.

millions of blown calls have happened over the course of the history of sports. 99.9% of them never get talked about after the call is made. the only ones you ever hear about are the ones in which the team that the call was made against couldn't recover and get the final out that they thought they already had.

it's not the mistake that makes the difference... it's what happens after the mistake. championship teams recover from mistakes and move forward... note the new england patriots, who've been some of the best at doing this in recent sports history. losers whine about it and go home... note the new york yankees of the past few years.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

if we completely ignore all of that... which every sports writer in america seems to be doing... and we just assume that the umpire is a stupid doo doo head who completely fucked up the call and no one else is to blame whatsoever... then the ump still didn't cost the angels the game.

You're correct that the other Angels had chances to prevent the outcome of the game, but the fact remains that the umpire did screw up. It was clearly a catch and a strike three swinging, and the umpire clearly punches him out (right hand moving horizontally) and rings him up for a strike (clenched fist held out in front). I have no idea why he makes the two motions in the wrong order, but whatever. You can watch the replay on ESPN.com, and it's exactly the same motion as when Jermaine Dye strikes out swinging to end the bottom of the 5th. This is what Kelvim Escobar saw, and if he thought differently, he would have scrambled to pick up the ball and throw out Pierzynski at first.

If I were an Angels fan, the thing that would infuriate me the most would be the fact that the umpires are being completely unrepentant about it -- the post-game press conference was pretty awful. They could just say that the ump blew the call and that he's in the outfield or benched for the next couple games to prevent things from going crazy in Anaheim, and a lot of people would be placated, I think.

Now why exactly isn't there instant replay for these sorts of calls? (Not ball-and-strike calls, but check-swing and dropped third strike calls.) Isn't it much better to spend 5 minutes reviewing the tape and getting the call right than to spend 5 minutes listening to the opposing manager ream out the umpire? Is anybody against this?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom