MLB Lukewarm Stove Edition - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2006, 08:10 AM   #61
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:14 AM
i'd be a very happy person if the phillies signed piazza and put him behind the plate...

the man needs to come to grips with reality and realize that his catching career is over, and that he could still be productive only as a DH. personal pride is getting in his way.

maybe if theo added some pearl jam tickets and his gorilla costume to the deal, cleveland would bite.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:45 PM   #62
ONE
love, blood, life

Piazza should go to the AL where he can DH and catch once a week. He should really hope for a team that plays in HR friendly stadium. If he gets his 500 ABs and plays for Texas or anywhere where the ball flies out, he's still good for 30 dingers

Old 01-26-2006, 01:49 PM   #63
Blue Crack Addict

He should probably go to the Orioles, me thinks.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:52 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Isn't Baltimore the place old sluggers go to die?
Old 01-26-2006, 02:04 PM   #65
Blue Crack Distributor

texas would be a good place but they don't need any more hitters... he should probably just retire, but if he wants to keep playing, it's gotta be in the AL
Old 01-26-2006, 05:28 PM   #66
War Child

Local Time: 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
texas would be a good place but they don't need any more hitters... he should probably just retire, but if he wants to keep playing, it's gotta be in the AL
There will be no use of the R-word at this time please.

Yea catching would wear him down. I just think Philly has one of the friendliest dimensions and he could make it look like a sandbox.

But I agree the AL is the best place. I would actually love to see him go to the Jays because thats only a little over an hour away from me
Old 01-26-2006, 05:41 PM   #67
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
Hopefully the Matt Clement 3-way deal is back on. The sooner they can cut bait with him, the better.
Yes, lets hope they can close the deal before the Indians and Reds come to their senses.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:16 PM   #68
Blue Crack Distributor

piazza is 38 years old... most catchers are in the broadcast booth or managing in the minors by then, he's still trying to play, and he's still semi productive... god bless him, he can play as long as he wants to, but i'd just hate to see him sitting on the bench for some mediocre or worse team, making the occasional pinch hit.

there's nothing sadder than the hero who's past his prime and doesn't know when to quit.

i can still remember sitting on the floor at the fleet center (gotta love the 10 dollar ticket sneak down... fleet center security... it's faaaaaantastic) watching the celtics play the orlando magic, with an aging patrick ewing, my childhood hero, years past his prime, unable to give it up. it was sad. i'd hate to see mike piazza do the same thing... but hey, it's his career... if he wants to keep playing till he's 50, and someone will still pay him, go nuts.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:03 PM   #69
War Child

Local Time: 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
piazza is 38 years old... most catchers are in the broadcast booth or managing in the minors by then, he's still trying to play, and he's still semi productive... god bless him, he can play as long as he wants to, but i'd just hate to see him sitting on the bench for some mediocre or worse team, making the occasional pinch hit.

there's nothing sadder than the hero who's past his prime and doesn't know when to quit.

i can still remember sitting on the floor at the fleet center (gotta love the 10 dollar ticket sneak down... fleet center security... it's faaaaaantastic) watching the celtics play the orlando magic, with an aging patrick ewing, my childhood hero, years past his prime, unable to give it up. it was sad. i'd hate to see mike piazza do the same thing... but hey, it's his career... if he wants to keep playing till he's 50, and someone will still pay him, go nuts.

I know what you mean. I dont want him to play forever by anymeans. But I would like to see him play once more. This would give me that opportunity. I dont think he will cling on......I hope not.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:47 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Phillies, Indians reach deal on trade
By Ben Walker, AP Baseball Writer | January 27, 2006

The Philadelphia Phillies and Cleveland Indians reached agreement Friday on a Jason Michaels-for-Arthur Rhodes trade, a deal that could trigger a bigger swap involving the Boston Red Sox.

Rhodes was in Philadelphia taking a physical, two people familiar with the deal told The Associated Press. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the trade had not been finalized.

If the trade is completed, the Indians could turn around and send center fielder Coco Crisp to the Red Sox to fill the gap left when free agent Johnny Damon left for the New York Yankees.

Boston had been trying to send third base prospect Andy Marte and reliever Guillermo Mota to Cleveland.

Trades involving the three teams had a hitch earlier this week when the Indians got an unfavorable medical report on Mota. The righty reliever spent about a month on the disabled list with Florida last season because of elbow inflammation.

Rhodes went 3-1 with a 2.08 ERA in 47 games for the Indians last year. But the left-handed reliever missed most of the final two months for family reasons.

Michaels hit .304 with four homers and 31 RBIs for the Phillies. He platooned in center field with Kenny Lofton.

Michaels recently was put on six months' probation and ordered to complete 100 hours of community service following a fight with a Philadelphia police officer last year.

Crisp was a sparkplug and fan favorite for Cleveland, hitting .300 with 16 home runs, 69 RBIs, and stealing 15 bases.

Mota went 2-2 with a 4.70 ERA and two saves in 56 games last season with the Florida Marlins.

There was a chance Boston catching prospect Kelly Shoppach and Cleveland reliever David Riske, as well as backup catcher Josh Bard could be involved in a larger deal.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:49 PM   #71
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:14 AM
I wonder who Boston will add to the deal to sweeten it to Cleveland's liking?
Old 01-27-2006, 08:15 PM   #72
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBrush

I know what you mean. I dont want him to play forever by anymeans. But I would like to see him play once more. This would give me that opportunity. I dont think he will cling on......I hope not.
IMO he's already clinging on to once what was... he's half the player he used to be.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:24 PM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by redsoxfan
I wonder who Boston will add to the deal to sweeten it to Cleveland's liking?
It's sweet enough, but the Sox offered two low prospects as well and the Indians turned it down. Seems they want Delcarmen, and the Sox aren't gonna give him up.

They're already giving them a potential big time player in Marte, and if Mota is healthy enough, a very effective reliever. And Stoppach is well regarded as a young catcher. I don't see why the Indians wouldn't do this, to be honest.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:25 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

why do the Indians need shoppach with Victor Martinez? he's signed through 2009 w/ a club option for 2010.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:39 PM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

Trade bait.

Or, at the very least, a great backup for now.