Miracle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemon Meringue

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Okay, so it is a hockey movie. It just opened today and has been getting good reviews. Even non-hockey people have been enjoying it. Has anyone seen it yet or are you planning to? This is one I want to see. Kurt Russell plays Herb Brooks, the coach for the 1980 US Olympic Hockey team. The team was a bunch of young (mostly college age) players who somehow pull together and win the gold medal. It was a great moment in US sports history. It is a Disney movie, so I hope they don't make it too cutesy. It is another David and Goliath, against all odds movie, but it is based on a true story and was important at the time.

Miracle

Last edited:
i think i want to see it

i'm having trouble looking past the fact that it's done by disney :|

i saw a commerical for it, but previews are like statistics in the sense that you can mroe or less get them to say whatever you want them to say.

Ha ha, you beat me to it LM!! All the early reviews on AICN, done by Disney-haters and non hockey fans really liked it, so I think it'll be good.

I'm going to go see it tomarrow--a late birthday thing.
:wink:

The reviews have been really good for this movie but one critic said it was one of the best hockey movies ever made. He made it sound like there were thousands of hockey movies out there instead of maybe 6 (a guess).

I want to see it too!

I get to go see this for a class ( :heart: Sociology of Sport :heart: ). :hyper:
Which is handy, considering I know a total of one other person who is remotely interested in seeing it. Well, one and my mom. ;)
I just wonder if the school will pay for it...

LOL, yeah, it's not like there's alot of competition for Best Hockey Movie:

Slapshot (not high on the pathos meter!)
Mighty Ducks (3? 4? I don't know.)
Mystery, Alaska
Youngblood (Keanu Reeves, Patrick Swayze, and Rob Lowe...need I say more?)

IMDB says there's "King of Hockey" made in 1936 and "The Million Dollar Hockey Puck" from 1975...

I refuse to count The Cutting Edge. :angry:

It's good

Kurt Russell's performance is excellent. Even the players, who are not actors, were good. That story still holds up after all these years.

Even though Disney could have ruined this movie :wink: , they didn't.

I just got back from seeing it. Really good!! Not Disney-fied at all.

My legs were aching just watching the blue line drills. :yikes: Considering I wanted to choke my recreation coach with his whistle on several "again, again, again!!" evenings, I can't imagine...I just wanted to give them a hug.

And to all my fellow puck bunnies...the casting left nothing wanting. :drool:

AvsGirl41 said:
And to all my fellow puck bunnies...the casting left nothing wanting. :drool:

I noticed that during the previews! Then again, I think hockey players are the best looking out of the four major sports in the U.S., so it didn't seem that odd that all the guys in the movie looked so hot.

I wanted to see this movie, but now that you guys have dispelled the rumors that Disney would ruin it, I really want to go. It looks really emotional and exciting, especially if you love hockey.

So yeah. Mofo, you can pick me up at 8. :wink:

mofo, i'll go. but can we go another night? i've got to work tonight :grumpy:

I saw it today. I thought it was really good. I've never been a huge hockey fan but I wanted to see it because Herb Brooks coached in Minnesota. Last night I had dinner with the family and my dad and grandpa went on and on about Gopher hockey so it was a nice history lesson for me leading into the movie.

There was something on ESPN last night about how they used "hockey players with an acting gene, not actors who happened to like hockey" or something.

I'm going to see it Wednesday night with my work buddies.

When I saw a picture of Kurt Russell as Herb Brooks I was immediately struck by how much he (Kurt) looks like Bobby Orr. I think it was the hair.

In an article in the LA Times today, some of Herb Brooks' friends and family talk about how much Kurt Russell reminds them of Herb in the movie. Apparently, it's an uncanny resemblance in mannerisms and attitude.

I wonder if the movie can really capture the enormity of this gold medal. In 1980, the sense of pride in the US was measure by negative numbers.

martha said:
In an article in the LA Times today, some of Herb Brooks' friends and family talk about how much Kurt Russell reminds them of Herb in the movie. Apparently, it's an uncanny resemblance in mannerisms and attitude.

His family has been quated as saying that the only thing Russel messed up is the part in his hair. Herb combed it the other way.

I CANNOT wait to see this tomorrow. I am seeing it with the lacrosse team that I coach. Motivational thing.

I'm not a hockey fan but I want to see this movie. This was quite possibly the biggest upset in the history of sports, period. Imagine some team of amateur basketball players beating the Dream Team. Amazing.

nbcrusader said:
I wonder if the movie can really capture the enormity of this gold medal. In 1980, the sense of pride in the US was measure by negative numbers.

We'll see. That's right, just the year before Jimmy Carter had made his infamous "malaise" speech. I heard someone who'd seen it interviewed on the radio yesterday, and he said it was about the whole situation in 1980, not just the hockey team. I can't wait to see it.

I saw it last night! :hyper:

So, they are showing the tryouts, and I JSUT about jumnped out of my seat when the kid playing Mike Ramsey (number 5 and current assistant coach for the Minnesota Wild) comes on. I shout (IN THE theater) "HOLY CRAP...that's Joe Cure!!!"

I coached the kid two years ago - he was one of my lacrosse players. AMAZING guy - but not a guy I expected to see on the big screen. And, he is a real hockey player...and had VERY few lines (although...he was in the school play too...all around GREAT kid...one of my favorite players).

Great movie. I enjoyed it. It is VERY motivational as a coach. Herb seemed like he had his crap together.

The other cool thing...It was funny to see my company's name pop up at the end when there was a "where are they now" segment. One of the players on the 1980 squad is one of our pilots. I had no clue...I have to see what he flies and if he ever comes my way!

i think i'll finally get to see it on monday...haha, 'finally' says the person who usually waits a month after the movie has been out to see it...

Back
Top Bottom