Metallica video for new song/Is that Edge? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2003, 05:49 PM   #1
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 01:43 PM
Metallica video for new song/Is that Edge?

Ok, I just saw the video for the new Metallica song, St. Anger.

James Hetfield (lead singer/guitarist) now has chops and is wearing a beanie.

Everytime I see him in it I think he looks like a thicker version of The Edge. It has to be seen to be understood.

On another note, after hearing so much crap about this song, I thought I was going to hate it. I actually liked it quite a bit. The guitar/drums/bass totally reminds me of their first couple albums.

Old 05-29-2003, 06:05 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Hetfield also plays a Gibson Explorer like Edge. Although, Hetfield's seem to be more "showy" with different colors and designs compared to Edge's natural color. But, there's another similarity.

~J

Old 05-29-2003, 06:11 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:43 PM
Wow that song is bad. The production is pure shit. What happened Bob Rock???
Old 05-29-2003, 06:16 PM   #4
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by womanfish
Wow that song is bad. The production is pure shit. What happened Bob Rock???
Are you serious? That is Bob Rock, he's even playing bass on the whole album.

I think it's funny how much crap this song is getting, it's honestly the first song of theirs I've heard in a very long time that sounds like the Metallica I used to love (Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets era).

To each their own, music is all personal preference. I personally like it quite a bit.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:37 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

That's what I'm saying - What the hell happened to Bob Rock? I know it's him, but to allow such horrible production is a shame on his part.

I mean he's done some fabulous production in the past, so I expected great stuff here.

Add that with the WAY over-long songs and weak lyrics. I like Metallica, and was excited for this album. but I will pass after the few songs I've heard.

But like you said. To each his own.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:38 PM   #6
Blue Meth Addict

How and why is the production horrible? Elaborate.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:13 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo
How and why is the production horrible? Elaborate.

Well, I think the drums are just mixed really badly. Way too much on the high end. I mean the snare is like someone is pounding a trash can lid with a pipe, and it's put way out in the front. That along with incessent cymbal crashes that you pray will end.

I think it's a pretty cool bass riff, but unfortunately it last for all of 2 seconds before it's thrown into this mess of drum/cymbal madness that i think overshadows any guitar work, and James' voice just isn't workin for me on this song. Something is just not right (besides the drums - which are just wrong).

Then the whole composition of the song is all over the place. One review I read kind of nailed my feelings on it. He said that it feels like the songs were put together with the ProTools equivilent of staples and scotch tape. It's like they had several ok ideas and decided to combine them in a single song, and they don't fit.

It almost seems that they are trying for that old Metallica sound, but just not pulling it off. Trying a little too hard.

It may grow on me, but it may also begin to annoy me more depending on how much it's played.

I'm glad you like it though. I'm sure there are many others out there who will love it.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:23 PM   #8
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:43 PM
I saw the video the other day and was unimpressed by it. Yeah I did notice the whole "Edge" look, which is becoming more and more popular. Didn't Lars have a beanie on too?

As far as the song goes, I thought it sucked. That was just my first impression of it. I just felt that the vocals didn't match the music and the music sounded like they were trying to recreate some of their early work but couldn't pull it off.

I've been a huge Metallica fan for years and I liked some of their work of the past few years where most people did not. I guess I need to hear it again before I really make a firm decision on it but first impression, I didn't like it. That certainly doesn't mean I'm not going to be at the store buying the new album the day it comes out. I just hope my first impression of the song is very wrong.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:25 PM   #9
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by womanfish

It almost seems that they are trying for that old Metallica sound, but just not pulling it off. Trying a little too hard.

I didn't even see this part of your response until after I posted. That's exactly what I was getting at.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:28 PM   #10
Blue Meth Addict

Man, I think I'm the only person I've seen online on any music sites who likes this song.

I have bad taste.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:35 PM   #11
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I have bad taste.
No you don't. You're a U2 fan.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:24 PM   #12
She's the One

Local Time: 11:43 AM
Re: Metallica video for new song/Is that Edge?

Quote:

James Hetfield (lead singer/guitarist) now has chops and is wearing a beanie.

Everytime I see him in it I think he looks like a thicker version of The Edge. It has to be seen to be understood.

Mebbe he saw my incessant polls about Metallica doing U2 songs in EYKIW and got some ideas.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:48 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:43 AM
My goodness I can't wait to see this.
James an Edge lookalike?
I have only heard a snippett of St Anger.It sounded chaotic...but ordered chaos. Lars perhaps does not want to relinquish the title of fastest drummer in the west, he's an "elder " now, the pressure is on! It must be hard to lose two great bass players like Cliffy and Jason.

PS: I'm pleased to say hub trimmed his now almost white beard this morning. Took years off him...now he does look like Edge
Old 05-29-2003, 11:17 PM   #14
arw
Blue Crack Addict

well I just heard it again and I remembered what I forgot to say about the song the minute I heard it just now....James sounds like he's trying to be Dave Mustaine in parts of the song. I don't know but parts of it sound like Megadeth to me.

Anyways...if you want to check out the video here you go:

http://metallica.com
Old 05-30-2003, 12:01 AM   #15
arw
Blue Crack Addict

as I suspected....after listening to it a several times, I don't think it's as bad as I thought it was. I think I listened to it about 5 times in a row and I'm gonna say it's ok. I just think it's not the best they've ever done.

I'm still buying the album the day it comes out and if they pass through my town on tour there's no way I'm not going to see them live. I'll be at the arena bright and early on the day the tickest go on sale.