MERGED --> World Idol + Kurt is the winner of World Idol! - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2004, 12:13 AM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 02:27 PM
I can't believe I watched the results show last night.

oh well mindless entertainment for a day of recovering.

the only good thing I saw on there was the dress that Victoria Beckham was wearing. my roommate and i decided Victoria needs to learn how to lip sync a little better, she was off quite a bit.

oh and those two guys hosting the show also got on our nerves.
they were fun to laugh at though.

Old 01-03-2004, 03:17 AM   #47
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justified
my roommate and i decided Victoria needs to learn how to lip sync a little better, she was off quite a bit.
OMG YES. The minute she started singing I was like .. good god she's lip syncing and its so noticable

Old 01-03-2004, 06:02 AM   #48
Babyface

Local Time: 06:27 PM
Hey, you should get Kurt on the smilie List

I'm taking voice lessons (not that this makes me an expert, but just to give you an idea) and I've tried choosing a couple of U2 songs (including Beautiful Day) to sing for performances, and wound up giving them up because of their difficulty. It's not just the notes, timing, sequence, etc. that make up a songs difficulty, but its range. Bono has an incredible vocal range, believe it or not, and he uses the entire range within the song, which is what makes things tricky. In singing, many people have a head and a chest voice, for high and low ranges respectively. This alone isn't hard, but where people encounter trouble is in the mid ranges, because you either have to sing really low with your head voice (super hard) or really high with your chest voice (also hard). Even more difficult is transitioning between head and chest voice, which most people just plain can't do. In fact, what makes singers like Ella Fitzgerald so amazing is that they can bridge this "mid range" flawlessly. Thus, most songs are written for either head or chest voice.

Many of U2's songs, though, (including Beautiful Day) include high and low ranges, and so for Kurt to sing the entire song, without you hearing him switch from head voice to chest voice or vice versa, was really very accomplished and challenging.

Furthermore, one might consider that part of being a good performer is making what you do look easy. So in that respect, Kurt is just doing his job.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:15 AM   #49
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:27 AM
I still reckon this Kurt fella did a first class job. And I still think he did it better than Bono
And Salome, congratulations on not mentioning Guy Sebastian in a negative light in here yet
not that I have actually read this thread really so I dont actually know

:woohay!:
Old 01-03-2004, 07:25 AM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
Local Time: 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justified

oh and those two guys hosting the show also got on our nerves.
they were fun to laugh at though.
Ant and Dec are a national treasure!!!!!!!!

I them . Can't imagine Pop Idol (or telly) without them. They are so funny

Ant and Dec
Old 01-03-2004, 08:23 AM   #51
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
And Salome, congratulations on not mentioning Guy Sebastian in a negative light in here yet
actually
he should do a duet with Kurt

you know Guy wants to
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 01-03-2004, 08:25 AM   #52
Jesus Online

Yes, I'm sure Guy does want.

I think Kurt is well, married with children.

Old 01-03-2004, 08:32 AM   #53
you are what you is

if Kurt is married with children than I'm gonna give up and start dating Guy Sebastian
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 01-03-2004, 08:35 AM   #54
Jesus Online

looks like guy is coming back to your place for coffee then....

Old 01-03-2004, 08:37 AM   #55
you are what you is

he's too round,
he won't fit through the door

he probably sings Elton John songs the whole day long
~Frank Zappa
Old 01-03-2004, 08:48 AM   #56
Jesus Online

ja.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:12 AM   #57
ice
The Fly

Local Time: 06:27 PM
i dont watch pop idol, its soooooooooooo.....crap!. theres way to many of these programmes on the tv now, fame academy, popidol ect ect
Old 01-03-2004, 11:59 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:27 AM
agreed ice....about it being crap TV
but I find it so compelling . I watched part of a show yesterday about the search for the host of a new Australian "reality" Tv show. ewww, the MrBig of the whole thing who makes the decisions about who we will watch, was rather creepy. Some people are just making a mint out of such ...crap.

Anyway, World Idol.I saw about half the contestants perform. I came in when the Canadian guy was singing.
I was pleased Kurt won. He did a great job with a great song, lots of controlled power in his voice and not too much ego in his heart. Or so it seemed to me, in what could be gleaned from such a brief performance and glimpse of him.
The Australian judge told him he wouldn't win even though he had a great voice, because of his appearance He described him as looking like a hobbit
I prefer the shows like this that involve a performance rather than the fly on the wall stuff like Big Brother.
Watch More TV

...I know I will