MERGED --> Van Halen Reunite w/David Lee Roth + David Lee Roth is back in Van Halen - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2007, 02:19 PM   #91
Refugee

Local Time: 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Chrisedge
Look who's stage they seemed to copy....

Who's ? Doesn't look like U2's if that's what you're getting at

Old 08-15-2007, 02:59 PM   #92
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:41 PM
I agree, it looks similar to U2, but hey, I'd take it as a compliment. I've got no idea why DLR slagged U2/Bono during VH's press conference. But, obviously, DLR has got U2 on his mind (or else he wouldn't have slagged them) so I think it's possible that DLR/VH might've been influenced by U2's stage set-up. Or maybe even might've "borrowed" some ideas for a more interactive concert experience such as the stage surrounding a certain portion of the floor seats. Stay tuned.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:52 PM   #93
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:41 PM
Hey MrPryck2U, DLR did not slag U2 at all...he made a small joke about Bono saving the world, but who doesn't these days... Seriously Larry bags on Bono about that constantly.

As for the stage...it is very similar to the last two stages U2 has used...I agree with MrPryck...it's a compliment and a great design...
Old 08-15-2007, 07:48 PM   #94
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Van Halen also used an elliptical stage when I saw them in 2004- the audience seemed to be "in the stage" on that design:

Here's a sample photo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mean_daddy/118792480/
Old 08-16-2007, 03:49 AM   #95
War Child

It's been a while since I visited thsi site but when I happened across this thread, I figured I'd chime in.

First off, a little history. My very first concert was Van Halen in a club in 1977 over a year before they released their first album. I've literally seen them every tour (except in '88 for the OU812 album stadium tour) since day one and along with U2 and Bruce Springsteen, they've been the band I've kept up on since I got into 'em.

I personally have mixed feelings about this tour. Even if they had original bass player Michael Anthony, there's no way it would be like 1981 again (their absolute peak year). Plus, aside from maybe Axl Rose, no one but Eddie Van Halen has alienated more of the bands fanbase over the years with everything from talking crap about former band members to out and out lying about various situations with the band. The Monday press conference was great, but any long time fan looked at it with a healthy bit of cynicism. I mean, Eddie's called former singers Sammy Hagar and Gary Cherone "brothers" as well and thoise guys got kicked to the curb.

Just to make my point, the official website which re-launched Monday had small pictures of the David Lee Roth era albums with Michael Anthony's photo on the debut album erased and replaced with Eddie's son on bass. That album was recorded in 1978 and Eddie's son wasn't even born until 1991. Fan uproar made *someone* fix thsoe images but the damage was done.

Anyway, regarding this tour, one key thing is the fact that Eddie's 16 year old song will be the new bass player. He has *never* played bass in public before and his entire previous stage experience goes back to appearing for 10 minutes onstage a show playing basic rythme guitar with his dad when Eddie did his (drunken) guitar solo on the 2004 tour. It's pretty much unprecedented to expose someone still in High School with almost no prior experience to playing arenas in such a high pressure gig right off the bat.

Also, I noticed no one commented on ticket prices. They'll range in the $65, $85 and $159 range with the premium seats in the first 20 rows outside that "money pit" (come on, it looks like a dollar sign from above) priced at $300 - $350 and the seats (yes, it's reserved seating inside the pit - boo!) at a whopping $550 - $695 depending on the city! Surprisingly when the premium tickets went on sale for the first 4 - 6 shows today, they all sold out within an hour.

I'll post more in a day or so.

T.B.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:46 AM   #96
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Reggie Thee Dog
Hey MrPryck2U, DLR did not slag U2 at all...he made a small joke about Bono saving the world, but who doesn't these days... Seriously Larry bags on Bono about that constantly.

Yeah I didn't think DLR was slagging Bono, just making a joke, and sounded somewhat complimentary to me.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:50 AM   #97
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Partyslammer
It's been a while since I visited thsi site but when I happened across this thread, I figured I'd chime in.

First off, a little history. My very first concert was Van Halen in a club in 1977 over a year before they released their first album. I've literally seen them every tour (except in '88 for the OU812 album stadium tour) since day one and along with U2 and Bruce Springsteen, they've been the band I've kept up on since I got into 'em.

I personally have mixed feelings about this tour. Even if they had original bass player Michael Anthony, there's no way it would be like 1981 again (their absolute peak year). Plus, aside from maybe Axl Rose, no one but Eddie Van Halen has alienated more of the bands fanbase over the years with everything from talking crap about former band members to out and out lying about various situations with the band. The Monday press conference was great, but any long time fan looked at it with a healthy bit of cynicism. I mean, Eddie's called former singers Sammy Hagar and Gary Cherone "brothers" as well and thoise guys got kicked to the curb.

Just to make my point, the official website which re-launched Monday had small pictures of the David Lee Roth era albums with Michael Anthony's photo on the debut album erased and replaced with Eddie's son on bass. That album was recorded in 1978 and Eddie's son wasn't even born until 1991. Fan uproar made *someone* fix thsoe images but the damage was done.

Anyway, regarding this tour, one key thing is the fact that Eddie's 16 year old song will be the new bass player. He has *never* played bass in public before and his entire previous stage experience goes back to appearing for 10 minutes onstage a show playing basic rythme guitar with his dad when Eddie did his (drunken) guitar solo on the 2004 tour. It's pretty much unprecedented to expose someone still in High School with almost no prior experience to playing arenas in such a high pressure gig right off the bat.

Also, I noticed no one commented on ticket prices. They'll range in the $65, $85 and $159 range with the premium seats in the first 20 rows outside that "money pit" (come on, it looks like a dollar sign from above) priced at $300 - $350 and the seats (yes, it's reserved seating inside the pit - boo!) at a whopping $550 - $695 depending on the city! Surprisingly when the premium tickets went on sale for the first 4 - 6 shows today, they all sold out within an hour.

I'll post more in a day or so.

T.B.
I feel you on that post...as for ticket prices...shit, every "HUGE" band charges prices at that range or greater...
Old 08-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #98
ONE
love, blood, life

I don't feel the $69-$159 range is out of line however I'm still waiting for the NY prices I'm sure they'll be higher
Old 08-16-2007, 01:11 PM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

As for the stage...it is very similar to the last two stages U2 has used...I agree with MrPryck...it's a compliment and a great design...
I guess in my little bizarro world it appeared as if DLR was slagging the B-man, but maybe they were simply friendly jibes. But, to me, if you tell folks that you're NOT going to be like this person or like that tour, it could possibly come off as an unflattering remark. Either way, I'm very curious to see how this tour pans out for VH. I've been a VH fan since the early 80's and like everyone else, been patiently waiting for this "revision" tour. They all look relatively healthy, so that's a good start. Too bad Eddie decided to go to rehab roughly a week before VH was inducted into the RnRHOF. I mean he only had several months to decide if he was going go to rehab before VH's induction into the HOF. But, hey why question Eddie's timing?
Old 08-16-2007, 05:21 PM   #100
War Child

Local Time: 09:41 PM
Re: Van Halen Reunite w/David Lee Roth...

Quote:
but not with original bassist Michael Anthony...

While I've been looking forward to this for many years, I'm disappointed that it's not a full reunion of the Classic Van Halen team but

It is what it is and either way I'll grab a ticket, because as odd and goofy as he is, David Lee Roth knows how to put on a great show.

Can't wait to hear them play "Jamie's Cryin' " or "Jump" live with Roth again (even if he can't sing )

http://www.vh1.com/news/articles/155...an_halen.jhtml

Now the real question....will it make it unscathed through 40 shows?

and in other news .....The Spice Girls have reunited......who gives a shit about those over the hill has-beens
Old 08-16-2007, 05:32 PM   #101
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Hey, buzzkill, that's some old ass news. Hell, there was even a thread about.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:10 PM   #102
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Re: Van Halen Reunite w/David Lee Roth...

Quote:
Originally posted by buzzkill27

and in other news .....The Spice Girls have reunited......who gives a shit about those over the hill has-beens
And I was all excited about this Van Halen 'new band'...

What a buzzkill....
Old 08-17-2007, 03:56 PM   #103
asr
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:41 AM
I don't care what DLR says about bono or the rest of U2-VH aren't comming to Dallas. That's what MY beef is.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:01 PM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I got my tickets today. I went for the $90 level. I'm one section away from the main stage, pretty good seats IMO. Looking forward to the trainwreck!

I'm pretty sure we will get the standard DLR greatest VH hits setlist which is good. I wish though they would throw out some old classics that are not was well known. IE "In A Simple Rhyme" or "Drop Dead Legs".
Old 08-18-2007, 05:42 PM   #105
ONE
love, blood, life

the stage setup is pretty killer but do you theyre worth seeing?
I hope i can afford seeing the police again and seeing van halen

Tags
david lee roth, van halen