MERGED ----> The Killers - Sam's Town - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-07-2006, 12:21 AM   #256
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
xaviMF22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: In haunted attics
Posts: 7,091
Local Time: 03:04 AM
this is a great album.....

"for reasons unknown" is
__________________

__________________
xaviMF22 is offline  
Old 10-07-2006, 04:11 AM   #257
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
discothequeLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,093
Local Time: 12:04 AM
just came back from the Wiltern, what a show. the stage, lights, sound, atmosphere, everything. these guys know how to put on a fucking show. is anyone going to tomorrow?
__________________

__________________
discothequeLP is offline  
Old 10-07-2006, 09:41 AM   #258
Anu
Editor
 
Anu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Posts: 1,695
Local Time: 07:04 AM
Openness, restlessness, rootedness vs rootlessness, ambiguous regional pride, love for one's family, the highway, but hey . . .how American is that?

except it's just an "American masquerade."

In a USA today piece, and I'm paraphrasing here, Flowers suggests this record will help people see that Americans are human and not the "devils" that make war.
__________________
Stand up to rock stars!
Anu is offline  
Old 10-07-2006, 01:42 PM   #259
Refugee
 
oktobergirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: the middle
Posts: 1,874
Local Time: 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by discothequeLP
just came back from the Wiltern, what a show. the stage, lights, sound, atmosphere, everything. these guys know how to put on a fucking show. is anyone going to tomorrow?
I was at the show, too. It was totally awesome, so high energy!! I was so exhausted and amped up we went to Canter's afterwards to come down from it. I haven't been to a show like since the Vertigo tour. KILLERS rock!!!!!!

And I loved what they opened with. Fucking EPIC!
__________________
oktobergirl is offline  
Old 10-07-2006, 02:55 PM   #260
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
discothequeLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,093
Local Time: 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by oktobergirl


I was at the show, too. It was totally awesome, so high energy!! I was so exhausted and amped up we went to Canter's afterwards to come down from it. I haven't been to a show like since the Vertigo tour. KILLERS rock!!!!!!

And I loved what they opened with. Fucking EPIC!

dammit, i was looking for Canters but took a left at Fairfax instead of a right


are you going again tonight??
__________________
discothequeLP is offline  
Old 10-07-2006, 04:00 PM   #261
Refugee
 
XHendrix24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,496
Local Time: 02:04 AM
On the first album, The Killers were an American band trying to sound like a British band. And, for the most part, it worked.

On this album, they're an American band trying to sound like a British band who, in turn, are trying to sound like an American band. And it doesn't work nearly as well.

Songs like "For Reasons Unknown" are too bland and typical of the band, and seeming experiments like "Bones" just fall flat most of the time. Not to mention the absolutely cringeworthy lyrics. Blech. It's not the worst album I've ever heard, and it's got some decent high points and scattered hints of goodness, but most of the time they just can't put it all together. I do like "This River Is Wild" and "Why Do I Keep Counting," though. The biggest disappointment for me with this album is all the wasted potential. This band has loads and loads of it. If they could only put all of it together to make something really great..

And on a slightly off-topic side note, I find it kind of interesting to see critics of modern U2 in this thread singing the praises of this album. If this is the kind of songwriting and production some of you'd like U2 to have...well, let's just say I'll take HTDAAB any day of the week.
__________________
XHendrix24 is offline  
Old 10-07-2006, 04:05 PM   #262
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
discothequeLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,093
Local Time: 12:04 AM
Sam's Town > HTDAAB, imo
__________________
discothequeLP is offline  
Old 10-07-2006, 07:03 PM   #263
Anu
Editor
 
Anu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Posts: 1,695
Local Time: 07:04 AM
There's a lot going on (pictures, setlist parties, and the like) at

http://comunita.thekillersmusic.com/

where I will probably stake out some space as I look forward to the Spring tour.
__________________
Stand up to rock stars!
Anu is offline  
Old 10-07-2006, 08:26 PM   #264
New Yorker
 
Flying FuManchu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
Posts: 3,149
Local Time: 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by XHendrix24
On the first album, The Killers were an American band trying to sound like a British band. And, for the most part, it worked.

On this album, they're an American band trying to sound like a British band who, in turn, are trying to sound like an American band. And it doesn't work nearly as well.

Songs like "For Reasons Unknown" are too bland and typical of the band, and seeming experiments like "Bones" just fall flat most of the time. Not to mention the absolutely cringeworthy lyrics. Blech. It's not the worst album I've ever heard, and it's got some decent high points and scattered hints of goodness, but most of the time they just can't put it all together. I do like "This River Is Wild" and "Why Do I Keep Counting," though. The biggest disappointment for me with this album is all the wasted potential. This band has loads and loads of it. If they could only put all of it together to make something really great..

And on a slightly off-topic side note, I find it kind of interesting to see critics of modern U2 in this thread singing the praises of this album. If this is the kind of songwriting and production some of you'd like U2 to have...well, let's just say I'll take HTDAAB any day of the week.

I believe the lyrics are fine. Cringeworthy? Far from it, I think. He's got the ambiguity thing down IMO. "Bones" is no experiment outside of the horn section bits. Reminded me of something that could have been on Hot Fuss (similar style to Change Your Mind and they also used horns in Hot Fuss I believe)... I like "For Reasons Unknown," its Killers by the numbers but with a nice vocal performance by Flowers and IMO he brings it home at the end. I don't think the song is bland but then I liked HTDAAB (warts and all).

As a lyricist Flower's is fine... he may put in some questionable lines/ cliches but (if we're gonna make a U2 reference), so does Bono but it matters not as long the song as a whole is strong. The song Sam's Town is lyrically strong, as is Why Do I Keep Counting, Read My Mind, the Exitlude/ Enterlude bits, When You Were Young, This River is Wild (if not cute) etc...

The bit about them sounding like an American band trying to sound like a British band who in turn wants to sound American makes little sense. They don't deny their Brit dance rock influences or abandon them. The 80s synth sounds are still there but not as pronounced but when they are, IMO they help the songs (Sam's Town, especially, When You Were Young, Read My Mind, etc.). What if you had not known if they were an American band. I mean what is an "American band?" I mean do they sound like Korn, Staind, etc? To me, it sounds like they just wanted to make a somewhat different record from their last one. IMO they succeeded in that part.
__________________
Flying FuManchu is offline  
Old 10-07-2006, 08:38 PM   #265
War Child
 
menelaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hellas, and God knows where else you 've got your tape recorders turned on...
Posts: 652
Local Time: 09:04 AM
I 've listened to the album only twice but both times I almost fell asleep..
And I am a huge fan...
IMHO it's the common second album problem...Every band, especially the new experience this... Just take a look at Franz Ferdinand, Keane, etc second albums...
I think that it is really difficult for a band that makes a mega-hit album to fulfil the expectations and to support the hype that created...
__________________
menelaos is offline  
Old 10-07-2006, 08:49 PM   #266
Refugee
 
XHendrix24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,496
Local Time: 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu
As a lyricist Flower's is fine... he may put in some questionable lines/ cliches but (if we're gonna make a U2 reference), so does Bono but it matters not as long the song as a whole is strong. The song Sam's Town is lyrically strong, as is Why Do I Keep Counting, Read My Mind, the Exitlude/ Enterlude bits, When You Were Young, This River is Wild (if not cute) etc...
If you think those songs are lyrically strong, you and I obviously have very different views on what constitutes that label.

"I see London, I see Sam's Town"
"He doesn't look a thing like Jesus"
"The devil's water, it ain't so sweet"
(Basically the entirety of the Exitlude/Enterlude songs - just the existance of these is enough to make me loathe them)

Makes me cringe every time I hear them. Completely unneeded references to cities that make no sense in context, poorly developed religious imagery (attempting to emulate Springsteen lyrics and failing), and I still have no idea why the Inter/Exitludes were necessary. Was this supposed to be some kind of concept album? Did I miss that part?

Oh, and as far as "Bones" goes, if the horns weren't bad enough, the whole deal with everyone in the band shouting select lyrics in a Bohemian Rhapsody-esque fashion makes me want to hurl, to put it as eloquently as I possibly can.

I guess I should put some positive points here, since I don't want to come off as too negative, even though I don't like the album. Sam's Town the song is good minus the aforementioned "I see London, I see Sam's Town" part. And "Bling (Confessions of a King) is a pretty solid song too, minus the horrendous title.
__________________
XHendrix24 is offline  
Old 10-07-2006, 08:50 PM   #267
New Yorker
 
Flying FuManchu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
Posts: 3,149
Local Time: 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by menelaos
I 've listened to the album only twice but both times I almost fell asleep..
And I am a huge fan...
IMHO it's the common second album problem...Every band, especially the new experience this... Just take a look at Franz Ferdinand, Keane, etc second albums...
I think that it is really difficult for a band that makes a mega-hit album to fulfil the expectations and to support the hype that created...
I think this album is setup for failure... in Britain it might be ok but in America, I can see them not doing well... It's not Hot Fuss Part Deux. People have said they liked the bonus tracks better than the the album which just proves that point b/c the bonus tracks would have fit nicely on Hot Fuss. Also expectations may be too high that they have had to have made the perfect album in order to overcome those expectations. Sam's Town is not perfect (damn good in my eyes) and its not going to satify everyone.

Most American critics have been negative towards the album b/c of the Springsteen reference and Flowers' hype/ perceived arrogance. Critics do help push sales IMO and negative reviews never help. NME, Q, Mojo, etc. may be positive but do Americans really except for a small number read those mags. I have a hard time believing it.

Also, IMO alt rock with little buzz just doesn't sell IMO. They don't have that new band buzz so I wonder if all their touring will bear some fruit...
__________________
Flying FuManchu is offline  
Old 10-07-2006, 09:45 PM   #268
New Yorker
 
Flying FuManchu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
Posts: 3,149
Local Time: 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by XHendrix24


If you think those songs are lyrically strong, you and I obviously have very different views on what constitutes that label.

"I see London, I see Sam's Town"
"He doesn't look a thing like Jesus"
"The devil's water, it ain't so sweet"
(Basically the entirety of the Exitlude/Enterlude songs - just the existance of these is enough to make me loathe them)

Makes me cringe every time I hear them. Completely unneeded references to cities that make no sense in context, poorly developed religious imagery (attempting to emulate Springsteen lyrics and failing), and I still have no idea why the Inter/Exitludes were necessary. Was this supposed to be some kind of concept album? Did I miss that part?

Oh, and as far as "Bones" goes, if the horns weren't bad enough, the whole deal with everyone in the band shouting select lyrics in a Bohemian Rhapsody-esque fashion makes me want to hurl, to put it as eloquently as I possibly can.

I guess I should put some positive points here, since I don't want to come off as too negative, even though I don't like the album. Sam's Town the song is good minus the aforementioned "I see London, I see Sam's Town" part. And "Bling (Confessions of a King) is a pretty solid song too, minus the horrendous title.
"I see London, I see Sam's Town"

I didn't like that part either until I understood where that line was coming from when knowing the "history of the Killers." It's a personal "homecoming song." Sam's Town is about Las Vegas, home, the casino- it's potential metaphor included, etc... it's America. The song itself is part diatribe against critics who have been negative towards the band as a whole and the stress that comes with it (keeping in mind that the Brits have whole-heartedly embraced them). What keeps him going? Home. Sam's Town is home and seeks refuge there but the irony is that it could also be the place that they've received the most criticism. London vs America. Flowers loves London (England). He's an acknowledged anglophile but he also sees America, and hes made a juxtaposition... A place where he fantasized as being this great place (London) and America.... place where he can let "his hair down, etc." He wants to say America is great in this song but that would be cheesey as heck compared to Sam's Town. Am I wrong in my interpretation Killers fans?

"He doesn't look a thing like Jesus"

Again there isn't anything innately wrong with this line IMO. It's just a taste thing. It's a distinguishing line/ hook to set it apart... Why of all the things he could have written, sang, did he choose Jesus? Hell if I know, but maybe he didn't want to use the more typical word such as "saint," "savior," "friend," etc... I think it's interesting songwriting b/c it's different out from left field. Sort of like Bono and his misuse of the Spanish language IMO.

"The devil's water, it ain't so sweet"

Uhmmmm, again I dunno, I don't see it as bad or good lyrics. Is it b/c he uses the word devil? Or is it b/c he describes devil's water as tasting bitter when in actuallity it tastes sweet which puts you off, I dunno... Maybe it's the contraction...

(Basically the entirety of the Exitlude/Enterlude songs - just the existance of these is enough to make me loathe them)... The intro so to speak and the outro. I personally like it b/c it's a change of pace from the bombastic nature of the album. The lyrics aren't bad b/c they flow well all you've stated is that you loathe them. Again it's a taste thing I believe. Show tunes... it is reminiscent of folksy/ rootsy Americana... Maybe you hate the style but I don't see/ hear bad lyrics...

Isolating a line from the song and pointing to it as being why the song has bad lyrics isn't fair. I don't deny their are questionable lines/ lyrics but I think Flowers as a lyricist gets a bad rap especially when you start isolating a line. Isolating a line and analyzing by itself can make one lose sight of under what context that line was written IMO.

Hey I love the Queen vocal influences littered throughout the album. Flowers is a crooner alah Mercury (without the range) and they must love Queen. They're also Beatles fans so it's not like the whole chorus thing is a Queen thing alone. I'm down with it.

Bones WAS my least favorite song on the album but its an atypical love song IMO, heck its not even really a love song. Very campy song yet with sinister bent to it which is why I've grown to like it. I thin they cheesed it up (with the horns and the vocal flourishes to make it less threatening), but its actually pretty humorous in a dark way IMO.

I don't see the referencing of cities as unecesasary considering this is a personal record of sorts to Flowers and the religious imagery is whatever to me considering it's not even the focus of Flowers IMO unlike Bono.
__________________
Flying FuManchu is offline  
Old 10-08-2006, 01:29 AM   #269
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by discothequeLP
just came back from the Wiltern, what a show. the stage, lights, sound, atmosphere, everything. these guys know how to put on a fucking show. is anyone going to tomorrow?
Yay!! Less then two weeks for me!

Your avatar confuses me.
__________________
VintagePunk is offline  
Old 10-08-2006, 07:42 AM   #270
War Child
 
menelaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hellas, and God knows where else you 've got your tape recorders turned on...
Posts: 652
Local Time: 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by XHendrix24
"I see London, I see Sam's Town"
"He doesn't look a thing like Jesus"
"The devil's water, it ain't so sweet"
(Basically the entirety of the Exitlude/Enterlude songs - just the existance of these is enough to make me loathe them)
Some of the most cliche lyrics I 've heard in a while...

In addition we must not bury them...Think U2 and their second album (October)...If U2 had started today probably they wouldn't be the U2 we all know...Even Bono admited that during the induction at the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame last year...
__________________

__________________
menelaos is offline  
 

Tags
sam's town, the killers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com