MERGED ----> the Euro 2004 thread + Say a little pray for France + England 1 France 2 - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2004, 11:27 PM   #256
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:55 AM
The ref made a good call. Buddy in front of the net definitely had his arm in the goalie's face. It was no goal for sure.

I am sad.

Old 06-25-2004, 03:09 AM   #257
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:55 PM
I caught the match after the Postiga (POSTIGA!!!???) goal and I think when Ashley Cole is the best player on your side something's wrong there.

That said it was a tremendous fightback, all credit to England. And yes, Terry did foul Ricardo for the 'goal' by Campbell.

What a goal from Rui Costa though. I've never really rated him after the Greece game but he's going to give Scolari one heck of a headache now in his selection policies for the semi-final!

Oh, and penalty shootouts scare the hell out of me. Even as a neutral I felt all nervous and stuff.

Old 06-25-2004, 03:10 AM   #258
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:55 PM
i've watched almost all the matches till now ( live on tv)

but i am NOT watching euro 2004 anymore..

( may be just the finals..) because my fav teams England ( rooney ) & germany ( ballack ) are OUT
Old 06-25-2004, 03:11 AM   #259
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan

but i am NOT watching euro 2004 anymore..

i will just follow the news like a casual soccer fan

Old 06-25-2004, 03:38 AM   #260
War Child

Local Time: 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by celia

and whats happened to Beckham??? He's lost the excellent skill he once had...
i guess he's too busy being a model

VIVA PORTUGAL!
Old 06-25-2004, 05:19 AM   #261
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
The ref made a good call. Buddy in front of the net definitely had his arm in the goalie's face. It was no goal for sure.
Exactly!! I got so sick of hearing the commentators moaning about the referee and how the goal shouldn't have been disallowed and England should have won and blah blah blah blah blah. I know I was watching English commentary, but is a little impartiality too much to expect?
Old 06-25-2004, 05:43 AM   #262
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:55 PM
what about a word for Ashley Cole? Granted, I didn't see the whole match, but he scored a nice penalty and kept Ronaldo pretty quiet.
Old 06-25-2004, 05:48 AM   #263
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

England seemed to make the mistake many teams (Italy, The Netherlands) have made, which is to defend a lead. They should just have kept the pressure on and maybe tried to score a second goal then Portugal would have been out. But they kept on bringing defenders in and when the Portugese team scored they had to play the rest of the game including extra time with a defending team. They screwed it up themselves. Tough break with Rooney though (no pun intended).
Old 06-25-2004, 06:11 AM   #264
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth
England seemed to make the mistake many teams (Italy, The Netherlands) have made, which is to defend a lead. They should just have kept the pressure on and maybe tried to score a second goal then Portugal would have been out. But they kept on bringing defenders in and when the Portugese team scored they had to play the rest of the game including extra time with a defending team. They screwed it up themselves. Tough break with Rooney though (no pun intended).
The BBC seems to think alike.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...nd/3838421.stm

Quote:
Caution proves England's undoing

But when the dust settles and the hard luck stories are all told, England must accept they were knocked out of Euro 2004 by a better, and more positive, side.

England suffered a devastating blow when Everton's Wayne Rooney limped off before the half-hour, and if they had added to Michael Owen's early goal, surely the host nation's party would have ended early.

But after the break Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari outwitted Eriksson for a second time, following on from Brazil's World Cup quarter-final win in 2002, with bold substitutions and an emphasis on attack that ultimately broke England.

Scolari's approach was met by caution with Eriksson who, seeing England were being pushed back further towards their own goal, sacrificed Paul Scholes for Phil Neville after only 55 minutes.

It signalled an England retreat that was eventually punished by, of all people, Spurs flop Helder Postiga.

Portugal were fluid, inventive and pacy, while England were trapped and reduced to firing long balls towards Owen and Darius Vassell.

England spent long spells of the second half without the ball, pressurised until it was inevitable they would be hit with a knockout blow.

Eriksson was cautious whereas Scolari was cavalier, and maybe this was a case of fortune favouring the brave.
C ya!

Marty
Old 06-25-2004, 06:12 AM   #265
Babyface

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC

I am sad.
Can't agree there I'm afraid. The ball was loose in the area and Terry & Campbell had every right to jump for it - the Portugese goalie flapped at it like a big girl and was rescued by the ref. Football is not a non-contact sport and the sooner refs accept it the better! I'm sure Collina would have let that goal stand! The ref was a 'homer' - so much for Swiss neutrality!
Old 06-25-2004, 06:49 AM   #266
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Seddon

Can't agree there I'm afraid. The ball was loose in the area and Terry & Campbell had every right to jump for it - the Portugese goalie flapped at it like a big girl and was rescued by the ref. Football is not a non-contact sport and the sooner refs accept it the better! I'm sure Collina would have let that goal stand! The ref was a 'homer' - so much for Swiss neutrality!
*agrees with Peter... *
Old 06-25-2004, 06:55 AM   #267
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Seddon
Terry did not seem to really jump for it, but more to hinder the goalie. Since it was in the 8-meter area that means the goalie is 'protected'. So the referee had every right to decide it was a foul. Collina might even have agreed.

To call a referee a 'homer' just for that one decision is laughable.

C ya!

Marty
Old 06-25-2004, 06:55 AM   #268
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Come on, there was one guy jumping for the ball and the other English guy was obviously there to block the goalie. All this happened in the small part of the penalty area (I don't know its name in English) where you're not allowed to attack the goalkeeper. Now if the English team hadn't been playing like 11 big girls after Owen's goal than they would have had more chances like that. It was bad tactics and that's why they lost.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:56 AM   #269
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Hey Martijn, that was my post!
Old 06-25-2004, 07:10 AM   #270
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth
Hey Martijn, that was my post!
This happens quite a lot, doesn't it?