MERGED-->RENT: The Movie DISCUSSION - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2005, 02:45 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:17 PM
ITs a great play (my opinion).

I have actually scene it five times, I think.

I am a bit nervous about a movie version, though.

Same reason I still haven't seen Chicago (although, folks tell me that that translated well from the stage version).

Vancouver or Tornoto as NY...nothing new!

No day but today....

Old 11-02-2005, 08:17 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:17 PM
Saw previews for this today.
November 23!

Old 11-02-2005, 10:43 PM   #18
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:17 PM
I love RENT, and I'm definitely looking forward to the movie. I think it'll translate to the screen better than Phantom. God, that was a mess! Poorly cast, poorly directed. Why film a stage show and then use so many extreme wide shots? I sat there in the theater wanting to stand up and scream "ZOOM IN!" Not that it mattered, Emmy Rossum, Gerard Butler, and Minnie Driver were terrible, and poor Patrick Wilson was stuck w/ terrible hair!

Anyway, back to RENT. I think it's great they've used most of the OBC, and the two that they've replaced are fine w/ me. Daphne Rubin-Vega is pushing 40, and there's no way she could still pull off Mimi (keep you "Out Tonight"s to the concerts at Joe's Pub, Daph) and Fredi Walker seems perfectly content off in Barbados. I don't think the rest of the cast looks that much older, and they should be just fine. I'd me more concerned w/ them (OK, really just Pascal) being able to act on screen.

The trailer looks wonderful, but I saw Rosario Dawson (terrible in Two Gentlemen of Verona in Central Park, btw) on Leno, and they showed a clip of Light My Candle, and the lipsynching over the recorded track looks TERRIBLE! Obviously you've got to have a certain suspension of disbelief w/ a movie musical, but help us out a bit by making it LOOK like they're actually singing in the actual moment.

We shall see. I'll be catching it on the 23rd in Boston, the first showing they have after I get off the bus from NY. I can't wait!

Warning, shilling to follow: Has anyone checked out the cast's solo recordings? I really enjoy Pascal's first album, Model Prisoner (his latest effort, Civilian didn't really do it for me) and Anthony Rapp's Look Around is charming. It's a pity Idina Menzel's album is out of print. I enjoy her solo work as well...They're all very, VERY talented!
Old 11-07-2005, 12:22 AM   #19
War Child

Local Time: 07:17 PM
Sorry to be so fanboy - but Fredi Walker was offered the role of Joanne but passed as she was pregnant when shooting started. It's a shame as she is my favourite on the OBC soundtrack.

It seems weird that 'Chicago' has resulted in so many musicals going to film - yeah 'Phantom' died in the arse - but I think it made its money back globally - it did middling business in most markets - and with DVD sales, it will have turned a profit.

So we are also getting 'The Producers' thus year and 'Hairspray' next year.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:31 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by thatsnotmypuppy

So we are also getting 'The Producers' thus year and 'Hairspray' next year.
Hmmm...The Producers and Hairspray as films...what a novel idea...oh wait thats right, both were films before hitting Broadway.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:33 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

RENT: The Movie (or; PleaseHoldMeI'mStillCryingLikeaLittleGirl)

Oh... my... God. I've heard a few of the songs, I know the general plot, but I've never seen RENT performed before. Well, I just saw the movie. And I was blown away. Chris Columbus directed, and the visual style was great for it. Mostly because Chris is a natural director who doesn't let cuts and jumps destroy continuity within scenes. He's uninventive, but this is all about songs and stories anyway. When (you-know-who) dies... wow. I don't think I've ever cried so hard in a movie. And then again everytime it was alluded to. Oh, and yeah, "La Vie Boheme" kicked my ass.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:54 AM   #22
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:17 PM
i am SO excited for this movie!! glad to hear that you liked it... i saw it on broadway in the summer of '99- went out the next day and bought the soundtrack, and have loved it ever since.

wheeeeee! must go see it this weekend!
Old 11-24-2005, 11:35 AM   #23
ONE<br>love, blood, life

Location: Lookin' for the face I had before the world was made
Local Time: 03:17 PM

Really looking forward to seeing this movie
Old 11-24-2005, 04:34 PM   #24
Refugee

Yeah, I'm in the drama program at my school so all my friends are raving about it. My friend Kevin is so in love with the musical. He saw it twice on stage, I think.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:49 PM   #25
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 11:17 AM
I saw it on stage once on recommendation of a very good friend of mine, ex choreographer of my son's competition dance team, and he was even in a stage performance of the show....EXCELLENT! I think this is one that everyone should see. I hope everyone enjoys it. I cannot wait to see the movie, I just wonder what I will have enjoyed more===the stage performance or the motion picture?!!
Old 11-24-2005, 07:15 PM   #26
Blue Crack Distributor

Just got back from seeing it. I liked it quite a bit, although it seemed pretty long. I feel the same away about the movie as I did the musical - like it very much overall, but not all the music works.

I think some of it comes across as really ... I don't know. Silly? The stand-alone songs are great, and those were the best parts of the movie. It's the little interludes that seem so odd. Roger's "who do you think you are" bit after "Out Tonight" is almost laughable. Although Roger's pretty much my least favorite character, so I might be biased.

But yeah. Great, gorgeous cast (hellOOOO, Jesse L Martin and Taye Diggs!), and yes, I cried a little.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:34 PM   #27
Blue Crack Overdose

Yay! Thanks for the review, I feel you are probably closest to what I will feel after having seen it. I know how some stage shows when turned into motion pictures lose some of the great entertainment quality as characters sometimes change as does music....not all characters and music works on the big screen versus stage.....so THANKS! I've got to get out to see it this weekend and I'll sure leave my ten cents worth!
Old 11-24-2005, 08:03 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Yeah... I should make clear... for a tough-looking guy, I'm a big wimp when it comes to movies. I just watched the Muppet Christmas Carol and had to fight back tears.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:24 PM   #29
Blue Crack Overdose

hehe are you kidding? My kind of guy!
Old 11-24-2005, 08:24 PM   #30
Refugee

I adore Muppets Christmas Carol!!! XD I thought I was alone!