MERGED--> Lost Season 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dreadsox said:

WHo is Ben's guy on the boat?

Why did Naomi have Desmond's photo? Really? It seems far fetched that she would have it.

Michael is Ben's guy on the boat. He had a picture of Desmond and Penny that he took from the book. Maybe. *shrugs* I'd have to go back and re-watch Season 2, but it might add up.

U2DMfan said:
Any guesses on the polar bear fossil?

When I saw that the first thing I thought of was time travel.
I read once, a year or two ago where the producers ruled out time travel, so I have no idea.

Hey, take it easy, re: time travel. I was just agreeing with you. It's not like you cited your sources, either. We could easily both be wrong, since neither of us can confirm; that's what I was getting at. I don't know for certain, as I, too, can say no more than "I know I read it, once..."

I really hope that time travel isn't involved, minutiae or not. It just seems so hokey...I dunno. Double standard, I guess, on my part--Lost is hokey in just about every way imaginable, and I still often enjoy it. Still, time travel and ghost-talkers? Fuck that.

I must admit that I haven't seen the show except for the first episode, which pretty much told the story - people stranded on an island fighting for survival...nothing I haven't seen before.

I honestly can't understand the hooplah.

AchtungBono said:

Yeah....I looked in our TV listings and it said that in the first episode of the fourth season the castaways deal with the death of Jack....

That was absolutely not the case, so you know, as Jack is alive and well. Still a bit drunk, from time to time, but largely well.

AchtungBono said:
I must admit that I haven't seen the show except for the first episode, which pretty much told the story - people stranded on an island fighting for survival...nothing I haven't seen before.

Yeah, this is just like Gilligan's Island, I've been complaining about that for years and no one will listen...

what a rip off.

:wink:

AchtungBono said:

yep... it's just the standard stranded on an island story... No need to watch it then...

:shrug:

AchtungBono said:

No shit.

Isn't there some sort of award we can get this kid?

Last edited:
Ausiello Report TVGuide.com

Make no mistake, out of all the shows whose fate has been left dangling in the wind by the just-concluded writers' strike, the one we're most concerned about is Lost

Welcome back!
Carlton Cuse: It's good to be back. It'll be even better tomorrow when the writers all start rolling in and we start getting to work... pending the vote, of course.

What came out of your meeting with ABC today?
Cuse: Damon [Lindelof] and I are going to try to make five more episodes before the end of May, which is ambitious. But we've found ourselves in a situation where we had eight episodes of story planned, and we're going to try to fit that into five hours of the show. Even though it's going to be very hard to execute, we felt like any less would be doing a disservice to the story we had planned. We really want to give the fans the best possible experience and ending... to Season 4.

Any chance that the first of the five episodes will air the week after that last pre-strike episode — thus eliminating any scheduling gap?
Cuse: No, there's probably going to be four weeks between the airing of the first batch of episodes and our new episodes.

What will happen to the three "lost" episodes? Will they roll over into next season's 16, or will they vanish forever?
Cuse: Damon and I remain committed to producing the 40 additional hours of the show that we promised. We haven't figured out exactly when we'll put those other three on, but we're not eliminating them from the show. You will get those three episodes downstream.

I know it's early, but have you decided what will have to get cut from this season's arc in order to accelerate things? Are we going to lose some flashbacks and/or flash-forwards?
Cuse: All those conversations will take place tomorrow when we actually start talking about story.

Is it possible that some guest actors you were planning to use before the strike may no longer be available now? Like, for example, Andrea Roth?
Cuse: Yeah, there are a lot of issues that have to get sorted out. We're also in the middle of pilot season.... We're kind of figuring out what has happened to all of our actors who have gone on to do other things. Literally, there are cobwebs on the couches in the writers' room. Call me in a couple of days and I should have more answers for you.

OK, last question: Have you come up with a code word for this season's top-secret cliff-hanger?
Cuse: [Laughs] Not yet. That's a very good point. We'll have to get on that. If you have any ideas, Mike, let us know.

Last edited:
Now he also has this posted

The writers' strike may end up being the best thing that ever happened to Lost.

ABC is said to be finalizing a post-strike spring schedule that not only hands Lost its best available time slot, but promises to further strengthen the network's stronghold on Thursday night.

According to multiple sources, ABC plans on airing this season's final five* Lost episodes on Thursdays at 10 pm/ET beginning in late April, where it will follow all-new episodes of Grey's freakin' Anatomy! Throw in fresh installments of Ugly Betty at 8 pm and you've got yourself the most formidable one-two-three punch since the early days of CBS' Survivor/CSI/Without a Trace smashup. Creatively speaking, I'd go so far as to say this rivals NBC's storied Must-See-TV juggernaut back in the '90s.

And I haven't even gotten to the best part.

The best part is that I'm hearing that ABC is strongly considering keeping this dream lineup intact this fall... and beyond.

I don't know about you, but this almost makes up for ABC's mishandling of [insert any number of show titles here].

* This just in: I'm now hearing that Lost's final arc may consist of six episodes, not five. No, Team Darlton isn't making an extra episode this season. Rather, the final installment of the current run (aka Episode 8) will likely be held to kick off the final batch of five. According to my spies, Episode 7 makes for a better, more logical, break. Discuss....

What I just found out is that the director of Confirmed Dead (episode 2) wasn't Jack Bender, the normal director, but Stephen Williams. He's going to be alternating episodes with Bender this season.

So that may have accounted for the less-than-stellar pacing and dynamic of last week's installment, for those that had a problem with it (I didn't).

MrsSpringsteen said:
Ausiello Report TVGuide.com

Make no mistake, out of all the shows whose fate has been left dangling in the wind by the just-concluded writers' strike, the one we're most concerned about is Lost

Welcome back!
Carlton Cuse: It's good to be back. It'll be even better tomorrow when the writers all start rolling in and we start getting to work... pending the vote, of course.

What came out of your meeting with ABC today?
Cuse: Damon [Lindelof] and I are going to try to make five more episodes before the end of May, which is ambitious. But we've found ourselves in a situation where we had eight episodes of story planned, and we're going to try to fit that into five hours of the show. Even though it's going to be very hard to execute, we felt like any less would be doing a disservice to the story we had planned. We really want to give the fans the best possible experience and ending... to Season 4.

Any chance that the first of the five episodes will air the week after that last pre-strike episode — thus eliminating any scheduling gap?
Cuse: No, there's probably going to be four weeks between the airing of the first batch of episodes and our new episodes.

What will happen to the three "lost" episodes? Will they roll over into next season's 16, or will they vanish forever?
Cuse: Damon and I remain committed to producing the 40 additional hours of the show that we promised. We haven't figured out exactly when we'll put those other three on, but we're not eliminating them from the show. You will get those three episodes downstream.

I know it's early, but have you decided what will have to get cut from this season's arc in order to accelerate things? Are we going to lose some flashbacks and/or flash-forwards?
Cuse: All those conversations will take place tomorrow when we actually start talking about story.

Is it possible that some guest actors you were planning to use before the strike may no longer be available now? Like, for example, Andrea Roth?
Cuse: Yeah, there are a lot of issues that have to get sorted out. We're also in the middle of pilot season.... We're kind of figuring out what has happened to all of our actors who have gone on to do other things. Literally, there are cobwebs on the couches in the writers' room. Call me in a couple of days and I should have more answers for you.

OK, last question: Have you come up with a code word for this season's top-secret cliff-hanger?
Cuse: [Laughs] Not yet. That's a very good point. We'll have to get on that. If you have any ideas, Mike, let us know.
One thing I don't understand is this ridiculous desire to place ratings so above everything -- even story. Everyone's trying to air stuff before May is over. Because, after May, there's supposedly no point because Nielsen Media doesn't measure ratings outside of Nov, Feb, and May. It's silly to cut down a story to fit these unusual circumstances.

Just continue to air the show into June, for crying out loud. I swear, these networks are so damn greedy it makes me sick. It's like a show isn't worth anything if it's ratings can't be measured -- and poorly, I might add; Nielsen (and the ridiculous power given it by the networks) has consistently failed to properly measure the actual viewers, given the constant promotion of the DVR and internet means of watching the show.

Last edited:
bonosgirl84 said:

Ok, so why are you repeatedly posting in a thread about a show you don't like?

I didn't say I didn't like it.....I said I don't understand what all the fuss is about - it's a show about people stranded on an island and their fight to survive. How do you sustain that for 4 seasons?

Don't chide me....enlighten me.

Well, because there are many unexplained supernatural forces at work, an array of very well-written and diverse characters which are partially told through flashbacks, and a seemingly wide-reaching conspiracy as to WHY the people are on the island, as well as what the island is/was being used for. It isn't a simple case of being shipwrecked and trying to get off.

If you want to be enlightened, try watching season one again. Tuning in now would be pointless.

AchtungBono said:

I didn't say I didn't like it.....I said I don't understand what all the fuss is about - it's a show about people stranded on an island and their fight to survive. How do you sustain that for 4 seasons?

Don't chide me....enlighten me.

This is a good place to start. Lots of background history.

http://lostpedia.com/wiki/Lost

This episode was LEAGUES ahead of the last two. Absolutely fantastic.

We got back to what the show has always done best, focus on a specific character's deeper emotional struggles as reflected on the Island by a flashback(/forward) while maintaining a steady mystery and narrative progression through the main storyline. It was fantastic getting another Sayid episode. He's a fascinating character, and tonight's showcase was sharp, moving, wonderfully paced and still moved the main storyline forward with a whopper of a revelation in the end.

THAT's why Lost kicks ass. Perfect television writing. Not the crammed-to-the-brim, rushed, incoherent bullshit they gave us the last two weeks.

I loved the last two weeks. It has been too long for a Sayid Episode.

We now know that TIME operates at a slower speed on the island.

THis means for the TEAM it is a different year in their timeline than for the 815ers.

Sometimes I forget that not all time is PST. I was reading this thinking, "But it's not even on for another hour and twenty minutes!!"

Awesome episode tonight! This season has been excellent so far. I agree, Lance, Sayid's character is so intriguing.

I certainly was not expecting to see Ben at the end there. I thought it was going to be Jack at first.

Getting the helicopter off the island seemed a bit too easy - I was surprised to see it actually take off and fly away. Will be interesting to see what happens with that. Also, I hope Michael shows up next week. They've had his name in the credits in all the episodes so far this season.

Cannot wait for next week! I love watching shows that have me eagerly anticipating the next episode. :)

The ending has now turned my brain into Jello.:coocoo:

I'm going to need to decompress from this episode to figure out what the hell is going on.

Back
Top Bottom